Author Topic: Disappearing or Inconvenient Hobby Stores  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Disappearing or Inconvenient Hobby Stores
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »
I searched this forum and didn't find a topic that quite fit to add to on this subject.

At least in my area, I've noticed hobby stores either disappearing or being in places that are inconvenient to get to if you live outside that city. Some of the slack has been absorbed by bookstores, and I've seen that expanding: I've seen model kits at the local Barnes & Noble. Ann Arbor: parking is the issue.

Because I grew up in Ann Arbor, I was a frequent customer of Rider's. It wasn't always RPGs, in the early days it was model rockets, and I lost more than a few to midair explosions.

My main concern now is where to get other tools of the trade, such as Xacto knife blades (or even the knives themselves) to trim flash from miniatures: Joanne's or Micheal's maybe? The Internet is great and all, but it's also nice to have someone with the same interest working at a store who can make recommendations for you.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Disappearing or Inconvenient Hobby Stores
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
 I agree IMHO it will get better when the economy gets better and people have more $ to do stuff with and play around with.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
Retail (Brick & Mortar) space is expensive.  Inventory is expensive, and it is difficult to justify holding stock (either at a store, warehouse or even printer). The tabletop gaming industry has shrunk and with the digital revolution that has occurred it is unlikely to rebound significantly. Youth are socializing face to face less and less, and internet/xbox gaming and socializing has increased dramatically. 

All of that suggests that your FLGS is generally going to experience a continued decline.  I hope not, but it seems to be the way of the world these days. 

As for buying x-acto knives, I'd recommend either internet or craft store. JoAnn's and Michael's are the standard.

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »
All of that suggests that your FLGS is generally going to experience a continued decline.  I hope not, but it seems to be the way of the world these days. 

Not entirely in Ann Arbor, MI, the last time I was there after it moved Get Your Game On seemed to be doing well. I only avoid it because driving in downtown Ann Arbor, let alone finding parking, is highly frustrating. I have no idea how Labyrinth Comics & Games is doing, and based on my only trip there where differences between what a GM/player and a game-store employee think "alive" means in terms of games, I don't care because I felt insulted.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:54:07 AM »
That's great news and I'm glad to hear it. I wish them all the best.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
Then you have the B&M stores that supplement their rpg items by renting space for role players to come and play in private rooms (like study rooms in a library), or a common room where there are tables available.  Only problem is the common room if one group gets particular loud in their RPGing.

There is one here in ABQ (or use to be) up into the NE heights.  However, it is exclusively DnD only.  The two times I visited, only DnD RPGing was occurring, and about 95% of the inventory was DnD based.

Stores that could afford to rent space may be around, but I'd almost guarantee that there would only be one per city.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:23:11 PM »
The one in my area is focused mostly on Warhammer and 20k. There's some D&D stuff to be had, but not much compared to GW's stuff and the card gamers.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
There is a new gaming store opening in Manhattan.  Unfortunately it is not rpg focused - but rather general board games from what I have seen. 

Personally, I'd love to hit lotto, open an RPG gaming store in my home town with multiple private conference rooms for gaming in with an AV setup including a large screen TV  that can be connected to via laptop, hi-tech sound system with mutliple streaming "stations" of various instrumental and soundtrack music genres (and special effect sound options).  A flatscreen under a glass table top for showing maps built into the table and individual wireless tablets for the gamers to receive personalized messages from the GM (or to communicate with each other).   In room touch-screen ordering of food and beverage - prompting delivery by a wait-staff person - or cleanup any messes.  A mini-theatre for showing feature films (both new releases and classics) to an audience of about 100. Of course, there would be a good sized retail section with nothing but rpg gaming material (dominated by ICE products).  I think it would be a winner.

Offline Zut

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Groupe de discussion Yahoo! sur Cyradon
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »
Wow, Thom! Heaven on Earth!
What is the difference between a geek and a scientific researcher? The researcher gets paid.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:51:16 PM »
I would to!!

I use to have a CRT TV that was accessed through a LAN server back in the 90s.  It enabled me to put images up for the players.

But what you wrote is exactly as Zut said, "Heaven on Earth!"

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
I'd love to do such a thing.... but not in my home town.

My home town is a sleepy little place of about 20,000 people. Most of those resources would go to waste there, like a a piano that used to belong to a great musician that hasn't been played in decades. Completely aside from the waste of money, it would be tragic.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Keen_Man

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 10:43:46 AM »
Best local game store ever. Sentry Box. Its a converted warehouse blocks away from a train station with table space for 15 - 20 groups including table top mini's wars and roleplaying of all types. PLUS an after hours game room. Their goal is to always have a copy of every roleplaying game board game and wargame at all times  :o

http://www.sentrybox.com/

Calgary for the win :D

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 03:54:12 PM »
We used to have a (around 2000sq feet?) hobby store that was Fantasy/Sci-Fi specifically.  It was an excellent store... however he started to make more money online than he did at his store, so he got rid of the store.  There are really only two GOOD game stores that carry RPG stuff in the Seattle/Tacoma area that I know of.  One is The Game Matrix in Tacoma (miniatures in general and dice) and the other is Card Kingdom in the Fremont area of Seattle (CCGs and WarHammer).   Both have a decent selection board games and RPG books.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline arthurfallz

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »
In general, brick and mortar stores do not resemble the stores of yesteryear in terms of ubiquity, size or rpg content. I will agree with Thom here - video games are the new "vogue" hobby of young adults and teens, and will likely remain so. This is why supporting your FLGS is either paramount where you can, or a loosing battle where they are unable to get gaming supplies you need/want.
I reserve the right to change my opinion the moment I am proven wrong: that's called learning.

Offline Alwyn

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
The book store we had in New Mexico that carried our RPG stuff had pretty much limited their stock right before I left and was not carrying any where near the amout of RPGs they used to have.  Here in Oklahoma, our area (Lawton/Fort Sill) does not have any hobby stores anymore.   :(

We don't even have a good book store anymore either.  We only have a Hastings now, and their book stock is not near what it used to be either.
Alwyn Erendil
Warden of the High Forest
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

Don't worry, be HARPy!