Author Topic: Criminal Mastermind  (Read 2475 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Criminal Mastermind
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:35:08 AM »
We are starting another Rolemaster (RMSS) campaign and I actually get to play!!  I haven't played Rolemaster in about 15 years as I was always GM'd.  So now I am at a quandry of what to play.  Basic campaign synopsis is Urban type adventure, ruled by despot's and not to nice people.  We are going to try and become a crime syndicate in the city and rule that way.  Knowing and controlling the goods (illegal or not) that go in and out of the city.  So my question to all of you, what would make the best group?

I am going to be the leader and mastermind, I was thinking Mentalist of sorts or Sorcerer with Necromancy.  Going to need a Thief, maybe a Nightblade, some type of Fighter....  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Criminal Mastermind
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 08:55:32 AM »
Magent, rgues/thieves, Dabblers, Mystics.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
Magent, rgues/thieves, Dabblers, Mystics.

I agree.

I also like the armsmaster (a favorite of mine) and any other healer besides the Sorcerer as I tend to save the Sorcerer for evil types.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
Thanks, I want to be a pure spell user of evil as the Mastermind.  I was thinking Mentalist as the influences I could place.  I appreciate the input, Armsmaster, hmmmm.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
Even Bard has possibilities when masterminding an evil horde.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 01:34:57 PM »
Even Bard has possibilities when masterminding an evil horde.

A Bard would be perfect. One part Pied Piper, two parts Thieve's Guild..

Can't go wrong with a Magent.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline VladD

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +10/-10
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:20:49 PM »
Urban adventure screams:

Dabbler
Rogue
Thief
Mystic
Mentalist
Healer/ lay healer

Though I include the last one(s) because EVERY campaign needs one.
Game On!

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
For a war in the shadows, a Seer is not exactly useless either. Depending on how Evil lists are treated, it could even be personally dangerous as an Evil Seer. Because knowledge is power, but so is the ability to rip your mind out by the roots.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 05:05:35 PM »
Great ideas all, hmmm that Seer might be worth checking into.  Bard, did I hear Bard oh I am having a time with a Bard in the group I am running.....

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
for evil ment, go with lay healer (seer is good too, but...)  the skill cost for lathealer are pretty good, you can toss the artificial limb list and take five evil ment list as base, or four and a closed, etc.  additionally, a few well placed talents and you can be a respectable martial artist.  ensorcel cures with hammer hands is a grat "inner power" story line.  i really like playing lay healers
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:01:05 AM »
"Evil Seer" or any kind of Mentalist could be nasty. The strength of a Bard is mentalism based spells that affect multiple targets, which could make a huge difference in an "urban uprising" scenario, or any variation on that theme.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:38:42 AM »
Bard also has problem of not being as subtle as other Mentalism users. A master criminal should not be getting into fights which require dealing with multiple targets. A master criminal should be picking off foes as undetectably as possible. A Bard has advantages, but they are more suitable to lower echelon observers, thieves, and go-between (or researchers for the less fieldwork inclined). They should avoid work like assassination or high-value thefts which will attract significant attention, as the Bard is most effective as a public figure.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
As the Mastermind the Seer might be the best.  This would allow a complete control of the guild and eventually the city.  It would also allow the Mastermind to be "in the Shadows"  Spreading fear throughout both the guild and the city.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 11:45:40 AM »
Really, the choice between Seer, Mentalist and Bard rests with how far 'up on the front lines' or how far 'back in the shadows' you want to be. For something in the middle, go with Mentalist.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »
As a Master Mind, I would go with Mystic.  Seer is a great prof, but i prefer players not to run one.  To much divination and info gathering spells.  A seer should be the ultimate form of law the mastermind must constantly take steps to foil. 

The Enchanter in mentalism Companion might be great too, but I have yet to play one.  All I know is they have some neat list.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
I love the Enchanter class and have played one, but the mental communication and mindreading of a Mentalist may be hard to beat here.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline naphta23

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
In my opinion, a bard would be a great addition to the CMM (criminal mastermind), but is a bit too much in the front row, if you ask me. As already mentioned, a bard is pretty obvious when operating and manipulating, so the CMM should use one, but rather not be the one in the spotlight.

I agree with the earlier posts, it makes sense to build a mystic or a seer. Perhaps you could present the CMM to be a messiah or a prophet, thus claiming to be a humble follower of the gawds. That would be another position in the first or second row, but it could be worth the risk.

Think of the movie Kingdom of Heaven. No need to argue if this movie is rubbish or not, but there is a scene when a bunch of templars get ready to attack a trader caravan and the leader shouts something like "god wills it!" or "god wants it!", claiming that this raid is justified with gawd's benevolence. And his followers repeat his warcry and attack.

Or perhaps your CMM can be the "consultant" of the aforementioned prophet, "guiding" him in his decisions and stepping back into the safety of darkness and obscurity should some other parties come to the prophet to present The Bill, demanding attonement and amends.
Nihil scire felicissima vita.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »
I do not know how this escaped my mind for so long, but the Illusionist is also a great Criminal Master Mind. 

I had an 18th level Illusionist ruling the docks of Kataine in my 90's campaign.  His cover was an opulent fat man with many children guards.  He was himself part fey and immortal, always stuck at the physical age of 12-13 or so, but nearer 60 than 16.

(the party at first wanted him dead thinking he was a pederast, but the truth was he recruited and protected the street urchins and orphans)

The Facade spells are proceless, as are all the other sense illusions.  Why shapeshift when a phantasm can instant create anyone?