Author Topic: Do invisible characters still cast have a shadow?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Do invisible characters still cast have a shadow?
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:55 PM »
A discussion came up the other night as to if an invisible chracter would cast a shadow.  Spell law does not seem to give an answer on that.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: Do invisible characters still cast have a shadow?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:45:52 PM »
No.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:50 PM »
I don't know what the rules say, but I would say no. So far as I understand it, Invisibility is a twist on a visual illusion, whose whole purpose is to reproduce the patterns of light on any given side of you that an observer would see from the other side if you had an absorptive/reflective/refractive index of zero.

So... how much of a shadow would be cast by something that doesn't change the path of light at all? That's how much of a shadow you should cast, if the spell is working properly.

Keep in mind that RM makes the distinction that essence illusions have nothing to do with what the observer believes, a visual illusion's effectiveness is based solely on how well the caster can tweak the properties of light within the spell's area of effect.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:38:45 PM »
There are a few topics like this in the archives that you may want to check out.

In RM invisibility has a fringe effect during rain and IMHO in this case you would see some type of shadow. But normally no you would not see a shadow.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »
The shadow of the fringe effect would be faint and shimmery, like when you have a radiator under a window, and you can see the heat shimmer in the box of light projected on the floor. . .it most certainly wouldn't be anything like a full out shadow, Of all the secondary effects of an invisible person, the one most likely to give them away is the foot prints on anything but a hard clear surface.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:30:01 AM »
Does an invisible char cast a shadow?

Depends on the GM.  I have always ruled that they do cast shadows, but they are fringy, hazy, dull shadows.  And that only occurred in full sunlight.  In lesser light, I ruled that the shadow was not as visible.

My way is full sunlight = a shadow 35% transparency of shadow if were visible.  Less light = less shadow.

Furthermore, if the invisible person did not move, then it became very difficult even to spot the shadow.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:32:40 AM »
Does a pane of glass cast a shadow?
I suppose it does, but it's very subtle. Hence the fact that there is a penalty of -90 to perception in detecting invisiable creatures/people/items. Of course, one could rule that there is no shadow and other, subtle means of detection are present, e.g., The 'Predator effect' (see the Movies), foot prints, sounds etc. Whichever you choose, the result is the same; a -90 to detect the invisible creature unless of course you are clever and use some other, outside influence.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:32:36 AM »
Does a pane of glass cast a shadow?

Yes it does. But how often does anyone see the shadow of a pane of glass with unchanged sunlight around it, rather than the deeper shadow of something opaque, like the wall the pane of glass is set in?
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 11:17:02 AM »
Somewhat 'realistic' answer: I don't recall where I've read this over the years, but I believe there is a description that states the Invisibility spell is bending the light around the person/object, so it is not actually passing through them (i.e. no window shadow effect).  Simpler answer: It's magic, so no.  Simplest answer: Your the GM, do what you want. :)

Also keep in mind the Fringe effect occurs if something moves into an invisibility radius after the spell is cast.  In the case of rain, snow, etc you would see the entire effected area shimmer somewhat as a result (if it is the usual invisibility it would be in the shape of the individual most likely).  But this also applies to if you cast an invisibility sphere and then someone else tries to get inside of it as that person would have the shimmering outline then (or any other object that entered the radius).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline mtpnj

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
Thanks all.  I was kinda thinking along the same lines as Arakish.  Now of course my players are thinking I am a big meany. (Their words are not as kind of course.) So everyone that did not agree with me and Ara sold me out.  LOL. Just kidding but I think I recall reading about the light bending thing along time ago also.  Been playing this game so long through so many incarnations hard to remember where.

Thanks for all the good comments.

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
Simpler answer: It's magic, so no.  Simplest answer: Your the GM, do what you want. :)

This would also be my answer.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
I'm thinking that there should be a shadow, even if it's so faint that most don't notice.
A straw in water appears to bend or break because of refraction. We know that it's an illusion, but the physics are working perfectly so all we can do is compensate. Same with spear/bow fishing from a boat. You can't disbelieve the illusion to ignore the effect.

Open a can of gas/petrol on a hot day and the fumes cast a shadow, even if we can't see the vapor. We know gas is there, we can smell it (and hopefully the can is red), but looking directly at the nozzle, the vapor is invisible.

Refractive index is how light propagates through a medium. If air is 1 and water is 1.33 there will be some fringe effect when looking at the straw. The gasoline vapor has a shadow because it's refractive index is 1.0017. Just enough to be different if you're really paying attention.

Invisibility spells do have a fringe effect in RM. IMHO, this means that normal light and the invisibility field have different refractive indexes. Larger and faster fields have more noticeable fringe effects.
If the refractive index is different than air, then it's a different medium and might cast a shadow.
So even if the character doesn't, the field might..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline TAK

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:27:30 PM »
Speaking of physics is all well and good, but this is magic, it doesn't play by the rules.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
Speaking of physics is all well and good, but this is magic, it doesn't play by the rules.

And in fact it can't to get the results described. E.g. it doesn't matter whether light goes around or passes through without stopping, in either case a simple physics explanation would result in the invisible person also being blind. Which is not an effect of the spell.

Too much physics is a danger for magic. Don't worry about that nonsense. Sometimes actively denying physics will help you explain the world better. For example in my main game, the stars are not physical objects but landmarks in the dream realm which happen to be visible because of its proximity. This explains why you can use them for predicting the future, because movements in the dream realm reflect large scale trends in what people are dreaming about, which in term reflect things that are happening, planned, feared, or expected.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline larien

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
If you're playing in Middle Earth or equivalent, an invisible character would cast a shadow; at least, Bilbo did when wearing the ring...

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »

I hear ya! For me, speaking of physics doesn't change the rules. I didn't propose any rule changes. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the how's and why's. The "magic" could also use a prism effect to enable vision by gathering so many scattered points that it rebuilds what you would normally see. Nothing changes, it's just how I choose to look at it. :)

IMHO, this also touches on RM illusions. Even if you know it's an illusion doesn't matter. It's still there.

Also, I appreciate the reminder about Bilbo and his shadow. He was also pretty sneaky to boot.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
A discussion came up the other night as to if an invisible chracter would cast a shadow.  Spell law does not seem to give an answer on that.

It does if it's cool for your group to think so.
Invisibility still gives all the advantages listed in spell law (cannot be seen, awareness maneuver needed to detect the invisible person/object,...), but the description of its effects in the fiction you create at the table can be whatever pleases you.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
If you're playing in Middle Earth or equivalent, an invisible character would cast a shadow; at least, Bilbo did when wearing the ring...

He could also attack or bump into things all he wanted without becoming visible. Obviously not the same type of invisibility at all.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
As often, you are right rdanhenry. :)

But Invisibility from an artifact, (the most powerful artifact..?) which does seem to have at least empathy Intelligence, could have different rules.
Maybe something more powerful than 50th lvl True Invisibility.. I don't know MERP.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:15 AM »
True, the "One Ring" probably sits pretty high up on the magic item power level. :)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss