Author Topic: Crowd-Sourced Modules/Supplements (aka Kobold Quarterly etc.)  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Crowd-Sourced Modules/Supplements (aka Kobold Quarterly etc.)
« on: February 05, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
Hi all,

Given the lively community - has ICE considered the Kobold Quarterly style of crowd-sourced patronage-based module or supplement design?

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Crowd-Sourced Modules/Supplements (aka Kobold Quarterly etc.)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
The Guild Adventurers were multiple submissions, with a pre-buy in to ensure costs were covered with enough up front customers. Or do you mean something different from that?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »
The Guild Adventurers were multiple submissions, with a pre-buy in to ensure costs were covered with enough up front customers. Or do you mean something different from that?

Yes and no. Anyone who pre-buys also becomes a potential author. The patrons gain access to forums where the project is written. The higher the patronage "level" the more you can do (review, pitch ideas, plots, monsters, spells, NPCs etc.). Check out  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/journeys-to-the-west-a-pathfinder-rpg-voyage?ref=live- as a recent Kickstarted example.
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »
Hi all,

Given the lively community - has ICE considered the Kobold Quarterly style of crowd-sourced patronage-based module or supplement design?

Regards,
Old Man

GCP used the patronage model for the first three TGAs, though the feeling in the customer base by #3 seemed to be that we should dispense with this and simply produce it in the normal fashion. Hence TGA#4 is not being constructed under the patronage model.

We've not used or considered crowdsourcing - I don't think we have enough people time to manage such an approach at this time. The closest we've come was the public beta of HARP SF which I instigated and essentially ran.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline John @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
I concur with what Nicholas said, but would add that if someone had a brilliant kernal of an idea and wanted to manage this process, and could then agree with ICE the proper oversight and approval procedures that would fit with our time resources while ensuring a quality product delivered for the money committed to the fans, I think we would give it a go.
Heavy is the head that wears the Iron Crown