Author Topic: Spacemaster Vehicle Weapon Marks vs Real World equivalents  (Read 3815 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spacemaster Vehicle Weapon Marks vs Real World equivalents
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
. . .and gets more problematic with the more heinous man portable energy weapons, since at least a 14.5mm machinegun is a trifle heavy to casually carry and shoulder fire.
Although I did see an episode of the Discovery channel show 'Sons of Guns' where they modified a Browning MG to be shoulder-fireable. The policeman (!) wanting it kind of had muscles on top of muscles though.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
No reason why a heavy worlder or transhuman might not be able to do it. . .or do it with some form of damping mount, like Vasquez and Drake use for their squad support guns in Aliens. . .But as the GM I get to have people on the streets scream in fear, run, and call the cops if a crew of disreputable types walk down the boulevard with a squad support scale weapon.

Shrug, in SM I've had a few incidents of people using ship mounted weapons on planetary targets. . .more common with smaller ships that can enter atmosphere and land, but I've had a few orbital bombardment moments arise. . .once you put tactical nukes or worse into play as weapons the PCs have control over "How big is too big" starts to cease to be a "can I carry it" issue, and more a "What are the legal and practical limits and restrictions on this technology" kind of issue.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »
Ravenstorm;
 I am going to propose something very different for you, treat the Vee's as PC's. By that I mean stat out each Heavy Gear as you would a race with hits and everything then use the normal weapons but say they are marked up to HG size. For the 20mm I would use the .50 by x2 the damage.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:51 PM »
No reason why a heavy worlder or transhuman might not be able to do it. . .or do it with some form of damping mount, like Vasquez and Drake use for their squad support guns in Aliens. . .But as the GM I get to have people on the streets scream in fear, run, and call the cops if a crew of disreputable types walk down the boulevard with a squad support scale weapon.

Shrug, in SM I've had a few incidents of people using ship mounted weapons on planetary targets. . .more common with smaller ships that can enter atmosphere and land, but I've had a few orbital bombardment moments arise. . .once you put tactical nukes or worse into play as weapons the PCs have control over "How big is too big" starts to cease to be a "can I carry it" issue, and more a "What are the legal and practical limits and restrictions on this technology" kind of issue.
I had a character once that designed her own weapons mount a la Vasquez to remove the penalty for firing an MG by hand when it should have been tripod stabilised.

And don't know about in Privateers, but the holocaustic attack weapons were banned by Imperial decree. However... as that same character wondfered... does a hijacked Colosian battlecruiser with a full load of Andrium on board, flown at near light speed into a planet, count as a holocaustic weapon? Holocaustic yes, weapon... less clear :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Maybe this might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20_mm_cannon . Use the KE with the chart is AL:F and up the crits and damage.

Have you made a choice yet for the 20mm Cannon?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ravenstorm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:06:10 AM »
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone has given me so far...I've currently put the Heavy Gear project on hold and looking at rewriting some of the Vehicle Law construction rules (for personal use obviously) and looking at running a Shadowrun-style campaign using Privateers and RMSS!

Again, many thanks for your help

Raven

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:41 AM »
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone has given me so far...I've currently put the Heavy Gear project on hold and looking at rewriting some of the Vehicle Law construction rules (for personal use obviously) and looking at running a Shadowrun-style campaign using Privateers and RMSS!

Again, many thanks for your help

Raven

In that case do check out ICE's Cyberspace. I think it's set in 2090.. or so. Should be a good reference for Shadowrun conversions. I believe you can buy it here. http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=88320
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline ravenstorm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
Thanks, already have Cyberspace - using the rules for cyberspace and using the cybernetics with those in spacemaster - only really said Shadowrun because im including magic in my campaign, which im using RMSS for obviously

Offline ravenstorm

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »

Well in the Heavy Gear universe they have genetically-engineered clones called GRELs who could quite happily carry around a huge support weapon for days :) so thats not such a problem