Author Topic: Looking for alternatives to the Tactical Combat Sequence  (Read 4046 times)

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Looking for alternatives to the Tactical Combat Sequence
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 09:11:02 AM »
Our system is just plain quick and dirty, but it has served us well for a very long time and is the preferred method compared to all of the other systems we have tried.

Here it is:
1. Declare action, includes spells, OB/DB, movement etc.
2. Roll 1 d10 (the random factor)
3. Add your initiative bonuses, including:
   Quickness bonus / 5 (round up)
   +20 (instant spell), +12 Movement, +10 Static Action, +8 Spell casting, +4 Missile, +0 Melee
   Add in weapon bonuses (we have a full list)
   Subtract Armour penalty (Again, we have a full list)
4. Each of my players writes down their initiative on our playing board
5. Go around the table in order. Player initiative always trumps NPC and int he result fo a player tie, we go around the table clock-wise.

Quite often players will list the base initiative next to their OBs.

There are cases in which players may want to do things that result in different initiatives, with the exception of instantaneous spells (in which case they get 2 initiative scores to act upon) the lowest is used.
Note: Sometimes it can be quite interesting to see the spell user unable to get off his instant defence spells in time.

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention some modifications:

Certain static actions such as perception can be made as snap actions, giving a -30 skill bonus but acting on +20 initiative. Likewise deliberate actions give a +30 bonus and act 'last'.

Changing actions can be done too, with a simple -30 to the skill roll (or percentage movement) and acting 'last'

Hates and speed effects roll the 1 d10 initiative twice and add them together (2 d10) acting first on the high initiative and second on the lowest dice.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
I proposed a simplified system based on Dungeons and Dragons' system of Standard/Move/Minor actions, but converted to conform roughly with Rolemaster's system. In the same thread, other posters have suggested similar systems or some fine tuning to mine, and it seems to be a workable houserule alternative. You can check it out here:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=12469.0
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 03:31:27 PM »
I should note that, as Marc observed, one of the main downsides to the simplified systems (including mine) is that initiative is much more important: the guy who wins gets to do an entire round before anyone can act. That is certainly something to consider, but I know that my group at least is willing to pay that price in order to have a faster, easier system.

One adjustment you have to make, IMHO, in a simplified system is to allow those who have not yet acted in their turn to make their OB/DB declaration if/when they are attacked in a round. We have playtested this adjustment, though, and it works fine for us in practice.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline Fnord

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
Thanks Hurin, I'm reading your thread right now. I really like your system and I will probably use it if the final RMU doesn't satisfy me.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 04:50:57 PM »
Thanks Hurin, I'm reading your thread right now. I really like your system and I will probably use it if the final RMU doesn't satisfy me.

Glad to hear you found it useful; I welcome any comments or criticisms of how it works in action.

Offline HighNDry

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »
I normally use whatever the system calls for. Most game systems don't work well under to much detail. My favorite was this:

2 second Combat Rounds measured in 4 half second impulses.
Since everything that happens in an impulse is simultaneous there is no Initiative. So surprise is real powerful. Guns or instant/snap spells become very, very deadly.
It's fast, simple and people die quickly. So players respect combat and plan their attacks rather than just mashing npcs.