Author Topic: Healing spells that requier an operation  (Read 1855 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Healing spells that requier an operation
« on: August 29, 2011, 09:55:57 AM »
Some healing spells requier an operation. Many of these are found in the lay healer base lists. There are also some at higher levels on closed channling.

What sort of operation are we talking about?

In closed channling's Muscle law list it reads: 15. Tendon Repair True — As Tendon Repair I, except recovery is instantaneous and requires 1 minute “operation” (concentration by caster) (My italics).

This is the only reference to these operations I can find.

So, do you need a skill? If yes, what skill? (Second aid, I guess)

Anyone wanna share how they've handled this?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Healing spells that requier an operation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »
It seems to me that the "operation" was explained in the spell description; the caster must concentrate for 1 minute - that is the operation. Of course, I could be very wrong....
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:48:26 PM »
In my long RM career, I have been all over this with a variety of rules.

Guidelines: I prefer to use first aid, second aid and surgery.  First aid covers stopping bleeding up to five hits per round and applying herbs.  Second aid involves all setting bones, treating 3rd degree burns and stitching shut wounds that bleed 6-9 hits a round.  Surgery is used to remove objects (arrows, shrapenal, etc), stop bleeding over 10 hits per round (essentially clamping off/repairing severed arteries/veins) and repairing shattered bones.

when a lay healer must perfom a surgery to complete a spell, you can make a roll with the appropriate skill.  SM has a very nice table that can be used for "repairs" that tells how long the mnv will take and cost in parts.  This info is easily extrapolated into cost for the lay healer.  All lay healers should have a surgeons kit.  Base cost is 17sp in my game.  The lay healers spells should allow the use of anything handy to help perform the surgical task.
If the roll "fails", this typically recovery is longer with a larger penalty for the wound equal to how much the mnv was failed by.  So a mace shatters a hip and with gear on hand the GM determines the surgery will be hard.  The roll results in near success, short of failure by 7.  The wounds penalty is increased by 7 and recovery time is incresed by x2.  Partial success would be x3.  Failure x5.
For spells that result in instant rcovery, mnv failure indicates there is now recovery time.  Minutes for light wounds, hours for medium wounds and days for severe wounds.
A little bit of work fleshing out the healing rules will result in many good role playing returns.  Players get to be "wounded" and all sorts of new NPC's and adventure material will emerge.  I cant see what i am tyyping so I close with an apology for my errors and not posting more.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
I always treat it as surgery, done using magic rather than instruments, taking as much time as indicated.

i.e. the lay healer is in there with his hands closing bleeds, stitching up muscles, removing debris, etc.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:57:22 AM »
I always treat it as surgery, done using magic rather than instruments, taking as much time as indicated.

i.e. the lay healer is in there with his hands closing bleeds, stitching up muscles, removing debris, etc.

M'kay. Noe extra static maneuver, then?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »
It could be that the spell handles the maneuver, it could be an extra maneuver.

An NPC received a head wound that resulted in death in X rnds. Our Mage performed First Aid, which normally would not apply, and 00'd. I treated this as a stabilization until a spell could be used to begin healing. The dying man had to be touched for 2 hours over 8 days for the spell to work but I was going to let him live.
  I keep thinking about Phineas Gage who did live after his accident. Now he was a total wreck until other parts of his brain learned to handle the loss. But, he lived.

This isn't exactly what you're discussing, but I thought it was mildly relevant. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"