Author Topic: Special situation questions - pls answer  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Elder

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Special situation questions - pls answer
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
Often arise some situation that i do not know exactly how to handle.

1. A player declare an opportunity action like: i want that enemy resolve his attack against my friend, only then i attack. He do this so he is sure he cannot be retaliated in this round. Is it possible? And what happen if the enemy attack in deliberate phase? The player will attack still in deliberate phase but after the enemy?

2. If a player want to move of just 5 feet (an hex) and cast an istantaneous spell, he can move and cast in the snap phase all togheter because, for example, these 2 action can be melted in one only, or it is important i force him to do one thing in snap and the other in normal?

3. Drawing a weapon is a 20% maneuver. I the player make a successful quickdraw check the action is a 0%, but a phase need to be used anyway?

4. Is this correct? : A player in adrenal speed have 200% activity. In snap he disengage, in normal he make a full melee attack against an enemy with 75%, in deliberate he make an react and melee against another enemy (assuming the first one is dead otherwise he cannot disengage).

5. An advice: my players tends to do always the same thing in combat: Snap react & melee with all OB in attack. That because they think: if i win the initiative (and they put always as much as possible to initiative during character creation), the enemy have to protect himself or die. If he protect himself, he attack me after my attack with pratically 0 OB. Any guess?

with regard.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
Re: Special situation questions - pls answer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:27:19 PM »
Often arise some situation that i do not know exactly how to handle.

1. A player declare an opportunity action like: i want that enemy resolve his attack against my friend, only then i attack. He do this so he is sure he cannot be retaliated in this round. Is it possible? And what happen if the enemy attack in deliberate phase? The player will attack still in deliberate phase but after the enemy?

Sure, but remember that he has to declare his parry before the round starts.  So, he's not really protecting himself.  He's just hoping that the enemy dutifully goes after the party's tank.  Once the enemy figures this out, consider a Duping maneuver to make it look like he's attacking, and then retaliate against the guy always holding his action.

2. If a player want to move of just 5 feet (an hex) and cast an istantaneous spell, he can move and cast in the snap phase all togheter because, for example, these 2 action can be melted in one only, or it is important i force him to do one thing in snap and the other in normal?

By the rules, these are two separate actions, but I've played enough D&D 3.5 to allow a 5-foot step in any round that doesn't involve other movement.  It's really up to you.

3. Drawing a weapon is a 20% maneuver. I the player make a successful quickdraw check the action is a 0%, but a phase need to be used anyway?

According to SoHK, a 0% Quickdraw is not an action.  However, since writing that, I've come to my senses.  I now consider Quickdraw to be a 0% action (that uses up a phase) because I don't want to run the risk of three attacks in 1 round (not because it's too powerful, but because that means one player gets to steal the limelight 6 times).

4. Is this correct? : A player in adrenal speed have 200% activity. In snap he disengage, in normal he make a full melee attack against an enemy with 75%, in deliberate he make an react and melee against another enemy (assuming the first one is dead otherwise he cannot disengage).

Yes.

5. An advice: my players tends to do always the same thing in combat: Snap react & melee with all OB in attack. That because they think: if i win the initiative (and they put always as much as possible to initiative during character creation), the enemy have to protect himself or die. If he protect himself, he attack me after my attack with pratically 0 OB. Any guess?

with regard.

Sure, hit them with a single fast creature with high DB (something that wouldn't parry because a) it's a monster and b) it's stupid to parry when you're out-numbered.  This creature is going to get to attack the players with impunity.  Make sure it shifts its target around so that everyone needs to parry.

Or, make a big deal about a new gang in town that seems as powerful as the players.  Hit them with "clones" of themselves that parry and full attack in the deliberate phase.  They can survive the snap attacks (which are at -30) by parrying with all but 5 of their OBs and counter-attack with a bonus of +25.  In other words, the PCs are attacking at -25 and the enemies are at +25 (assuming 0 DBs across the board).  I know where I'd put my money!