Author Topic: How to lift stun-curse?  (Read 10228 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
How to lift stun-curse?
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:01:06 AM »
We all know how dices can go bad. They simply go sour, fail to deliver random numbers and show naught but # < 37. This sorry state of affairs is usually amended by switching dice. Stun-curse, however, may be due to more than one set of dice beeing bad, and can be a terrible drag.

It used to be me, for a long series of seesions. Every fight would open with me getting stunned for a great number of rounds, having to limp through hours of infinetly boring gaming. Now, the curse has passed to my friend and partner in crime, Hubbaman.

What to do? How do you remove stun-curse?

If no out of game solutions is known to man, what do you do in game when stun results go above the rounds you would expect the combat to last, and you just happen to be playing a character with no stun removal options?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline TerryTee

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: How to lift stun-curse?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
Playing SpaceMaster we allow a character (and NPCs) to attack when Stunned. Penalties apply, but the character may act.

-Terry

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:58:29 AM »
Parry?  :P

Seriously: you can't do anything to counter bad luck, but if you end up being stunned a lot usually it means that you're not parrying enough and/or that you're fighting enemies that are too strong for your level
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:56 AM »
Stun berries (Argsbargies?), friends with Stun Removal spells, and Stun Removal skill are all good options.

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:13:17 AM »
Nope, not an DB-issue this time around. Its mostly the dices.. Open ended attacks, spell failues, traps no one detected etc etc etc.. I was hpoing for some suggestion like karma cleansing, micro wawing the GM, eating bat-poo, or something like that..

We have a healer in the group (me), but I suppose aiding stun can only follow an successful situational aw. combat manuver. Loading up on herbs is probably the easy way to go, but I guees those are quite expensive.
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:20:27 AM »
Stun berries (Argsbargies?), friends with Stun Removal spells, and Stun Removal skill are all good options.

I always thought that was funny.

GM... "the dragon whips you into a wall with his tail, you are stunned 11 rounds!"

Player... *fumbling through his backpack*  "No worries, I got these magic stun berries!"

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:25:55 AM »

I always thought that was funny.

GM... "the dragon whips you into a wall with his tail, you are stunned 11 rounds!"

Player... *fumbling through his backpack*  "No worries, I got these magic stun berries!"

Fumbling through your backpack!?!  My players would often keep one tucked away in their cheek.  Kind of like snuff for psychopathic "adventurers."

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »
I recall, like adventurer chew, walking around with the stun berry tucked into the cheek also.

LOL. . . I wonder if one person did that, and the story spread, or if we all just think similarly.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:49:10 AM »
Nope, everyone does that.

BTW, can you choke on berries?
(This should be on a fumble table)
There's probably an herb for that.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:34:37 PM »
Nope, everyone does that.

BTW, can you choke on berries?
(This should be on a fumble table)
There's probably an herb for that.

I wonder what the AF (addiction factor) is on stun berries and if they are carcinogenic!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »
 Occasionally my PC's have also had this happen but then again I have had it happen to NPC's and monsters also. So in the end I think it works out but as a GM you have to be aware of the problem and the differences between NPC's, monsters and PC's.
MDC 
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
Fumbling through your backpack!?!  My players would often keep one tucked away in their cheek.  Kind of like snuff for psychopathic "adventurers."

LOL

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:06 PM »
If no out of game solutions is known to man, what do you do in game when stun results go above the rounds you would expect the combat to last, and you just happen to be playing a character with no stun removal options?

After a few years we opted to cut any stuns in half and round them up. We simply found that in the bigger picture all they end up doing is slowing combat down.
As a result players also now know if they stun a foe that they want to finish him off they should do it then and there.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 02:08:10 AM »
In my game I have added the house-rule that stun can be lifted if another comrade provide cover for the stunned character. Gives pretty interesting tactical questions...should you take on two opponents to make your buddy free from stun or should you stick with your single opponent to not expose yourself to extra danger?

I think this rule give more dynamic encounters and it is good that players who suffer multiple rounds of stun are not forced into parry with half your OB until the end of combat.
/Pa Staav

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »

You pass out. :help:
Unconscious if stun exceeds 10 + (2 x Co stat bonus) rnds.

Before I took over as GM, my group never used this rule. They had rules of excessive stun supersedes lesser stuns. I told them it's all cumulative. The game changed when we added the possibility of being KO'd.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:07 AM »
Is that RAW or a house rule?  I kind of like it...
I never really like the concept of being stunned for 2 minutes and unable to attack.  It just doesn't seem to translate to the real-world very well.  What would that look like?  Likewise, the Stunned No Parry results.  I like the idea of hitting a target so hard the target drops their defenses temporarily, but minutes on end seems far-fetched.  Either they're dead, or truly incapacitated to the point where a 2-minute breather isn't going to help, or they're temporarily out of it.

Thoughts?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
  I use a house rule that stuns are equal to 10 HP per stun. If the phantom stun HP's exceed your current hits then you go unconscious. This can be added to the max number of stuns rule above if you like or used in place of it.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
  I use a house rule that stuns are equal to 10 HP per stun. If the phantom stun HP's exceed your current hits then you go unconscious. This can be added to the max number of stuns rule above if you like or used in place of it.
MDC

Not so much a house rule.  There's a long-standing rule that if stun-rounds > beta then you fall unconscious.  Beta (IIRC) = 5 + hits / 10.  So, all you've done is leave out the plus 5.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 12:12:15 PM »
A combatant will lose consciousness if his total number of accumulated "stuns" exceeds:
 10 + (2 x Co stat bonus) rnds.

This is RAW for RMFRP, pg 209 and RMSS pg 89.
Stun rounds are stun, stun no parry AND down or out rounds..

YGMV :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:24:06 PM by providence13, Reason: clarity »

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
I just use the goddang rule as it is, if you get a sword to the guts, a fireball to your face, or a dragon tail upside the head it are stunned as a result and unable to fight effectively, well, that's how it goes.

There is a reason for Stunned Maneuver and a reason that healers have stun removing spells.  If your party refuses to use a healer, or your warriors refuse to put DP's into Stunned Maneuver, it is their own fault.  If you they want to be stubborn about not doing that you can implement something ridiculous as cited above in the threat and have party members waltzing all over the world with magic stun berries in their mouths.  ::)