Author Topic: Favorite Companions?  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Favorite Companions?
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 12:06:25 AM »
and SUC (though most of the spell list are far to powerful).

Yea, Realm Law, Power Master, Planar Survival, and Wyrd Mastery?

Why not just press the "I WIN" button. =P

Had to put a clamp on those pretty quick.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »
Martial Arts Companion is also a very neat book and has created a lot of fun in our group, for the martial artists of course but also for the fighters.

And, yes, I have to agree on Castle & Ruins, excellent book. How much time we spent looking up how long it takes and what it might cost to build houses, towers, and whole castles. Brilliant.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:20 AM »
Some of these I never heard of... Castles and Ruins, Hands of the Healer?  Is this RMSS stuff?

Castles and Ruins is definitely the GM's friend. If you've ever seen Treasure Companion, you may have noticed how it starts from the idea of wealth as a concept, and shows you how to build from there to suit the specifics of your campaign.... Castles and Ruins does pretty much the same thing with the concept of static defenses.

Basically if a party in your game ever has a significant encounter indoors, you as a GM need to have Castles and Ruins.

I'll have to track it down, is it available here?

Castles & Ruins is available as a pdf from www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=20253

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 06:16:19 AM »
Some of these I never heard of... Castles and Ruins, Hands of the Healer?  Is this RMSS stuff?

Castles and Ruins is definitely the GM's friend. If you've ever seen Treasure Companion, you may have noticed how it starts from the idea of wealth as a concept, and shows you how to build from there to suit the specifics of your campaign.... Castles and Ruins does pretty much the same thing with the concept of static defenses.

Basically if a party in your game ever has a significant encounter indoors, you as a GM need to have Castles and Ruins.

Castles & Ruins is available as a pdf from www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=20253

Best wishes,
Nicholas

GAH! Damn you all, my wife is going to smack me when she sees the extra charge on the credit card.  :P

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2011, 06:47:35 AM »
I had several players in the process of collecting RM2 books and then suddenly they were cut off halfway through and RMSS came out.  The game stores in our area dropped or discard the old books and told us that I.C.E. was only supporting RMSS.  You have never seen such anger from a gaming group!  I had about a dozen players in the campaign at the time and was running a few different parties.  It was about the worst timing you could imagine, most of the people who had started their RM collections and were spending lots of cash on books were so flat out ticked off that they left the game and sold off their books to other players and there was a general outcry for me to switch to D&D or GURPS or some other system.  It was a heated heated situation and we lost a few players and it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.  Everytime I see those RMSS books I go a little crosseyed and my head aches. =P

Not to belittle your players, but I don't see how converting RMSS materials for RM2 would be any more of a pain than changing systems, or converting to RM2 from anything else. I didn't care much for RMSS either (nor did my players), but we didn't let it slow us down any.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »
The Channeling Companion, as one for instance, got a lot of use in our RM2 games.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »

Not to belittle your players, but I don't see how converting RMSS materials for RM2 would be any more of a pain than changing systems, or converting to RM2 from anything else. I didn't care much for RMSS either (nor did my players), but we didn't let it slow us down any.

I know, but as a GM you understand how people like to get caught up in the bitching until it no longer makes sense...

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Sure, but if you can't get the RM2 you want and you're used to, RMSS/RMFRP materials are probably an easier conversion to what you want and you're used to than anything else you're likely to find.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »
Sure, but if you can't get the RM2 you want and you're used to, RMSS/RMFRP materials are probably an easier conversion to what you want and you're used to than anything else you're likely to find.

I understand.

You do have to realize that many RM players out there really resent the RMSS system however, just like many here seem to be so pro RMSS and anti RM based on the responses to the thread, like "RoCo III is crap" and stuff like that.

The pendulum swings both ways and people are often irrational when it comes to opinions.  There is the setting of feet and the stiffening of necks.  I  used to be that way myself until I got really sick, and then it occurred to me I just don't have enough time left to spend arguing about anything.  I listen, I gather, I make the best decisions I can and incorporate what I can... and if I have to compromise with some of my best players because they don't like this or that I just do it. It's no skin off my back. If they wanted more RMSS I would do likewise and work more in. You can take pieces from either and make them work into either but in general I will always prefer the flavor and feel of RM/RM2

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:44:42 PM by Zedul, Reason: enter too soon »

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 09:52:28 PM »

Best wishes,
Nicholas

GAH! Damn you all, my wife is going to smack me when she sees the extra charge on the credit card.  :P

::cough:: Paypal and greendot ::cough::
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=xpt/Marketing/demo/additionalpayment/GreenDot-outside

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
Martial Arts Companion is probably my favorite.  Don't use everything from it as-is, but it goes a very long ways towards giving Pure Arms Users the love they needed.  (And obviously we don't simply use it for Martial Arts, but rather for "styles" that any pure arms user can potentially develop).

Talent Law is used a good amount, but you have to be careful about the costs and balance.  It could use a good once over to adjust the price of various talents.

Channeling Companion gets used quite a bit, but then it wouldn't really be fair for me to cast a vote for it. :)
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
nº1 Companion II - I usually like to have two companion II at the same time while playing. This says a lot , doesn't it? (Spell Law is the other book i like to have two copies while playing)

nº2 Companion I
    2.1- I had a selfmade book with most used weapons, criticals from differente companions ( Acid, Plasma, and normal Slash, krush, Superlarge, this kind of things), some pages from alchemy companion, some optional rules we use. t's a combo of various companions, so i don't know where to put it.

Nº3 Various, Companion 3, Arms Companion, Companion VII ( we use the arms master a lot)

nº4 Companion V and IV.

Nº5 Sometimes someone uses Elemental companion, Spell Users Companion, War Law, Sea Law, but all this companions depends of the game, and we don't use it normally.

nº6 For no reason we have never used Channeling companion. I have Companion VI, but I don't remember if think i had never used it because its very far from our games.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)