Author Topic: Paladin = Not usable?  (Read 8163 times)

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Paladin = Not usable?
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »
I think Scordched Earth long ago got his answer.  Sometimes, its hard because throughout the first 2 versions of RM there are so many options that, as a new GM, you figure that there should be a clearly indicated answer somewhere....but, usually there are just more questions.  Hence the reason for the (somewhere else located) revision discussions.....
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
Something I used to say to people back in the day of AD&D and RM1... that no, RM doesn't cover everything, and it doesn't try to. The beauty of it is not just in how it covers what it does, but that instead of grey areas it has places that are clearly marked, "this decision is left to the individual GM."

In fairness, that was RM1, back in the early 80s... I don't expect any revision that still has the feel of an ICE product to have such "crisp edges" if you will, ever again. Nonetheless, it seems like a good standard to strive for, even knowing in advance you'll never achieve it.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »
Quote Marc R
It's not a matter of impossible, it's a matter of which choice you want.

This is Rolemaster...  :)

Exactly that's the beauty of it and why it's so embraceable for me.

I used to keep a checklist of all the options but eventually I wrote them out with clarifications for our players. We used Middle Earth we used Greyhawk for a bit, we used Shadow World but then eventually I switched the campaign over to the world I created out of my stories and such and when I did so I used the Rolemaster Rules that best suited the flavor of our particular campaign.

The rules should conform to the story and the setting of whatever world you are playing in.  I wouldn't expect to see a horde of Chaotic Lord's with demon imbued armor storming the gates of Minas Tirith, and I would not expect seven foot tall blonde haired elven rangers to be guarding the walls of Hogwarts.  The most important thing is the setting of the story and Rolemaster is a wonderful system for "adaptation" because as some very smart people here have pointed out, it's all about the options!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
Not to be a bother but... Zedul, please, could you use the default font or, at least, the default font size? Thank you.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline rafmeister

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »
The Variable channeling rules tend to go hand in hand with paladins. For example, 2x pp inside the church/temple and 1x inside the temple radius (i.e. within five miles of the church). Beyond that, the pp would drop to say 0.25x-0.5x normal pp. This is to balance thew power of the paladin class and explains why there are so many roadside shrines.

This also serves to make paladins more interested in keeping their holy sites in good condition.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
Not to be a bother but... Zedul, please, could you use the default font or, at least, the default font size? Thank you.

Ok if it's bothering you that much but I actually wish everyone else would type bigger. I have to strain to see most of these posts and on bad days it's quite painful. I have horrible horrible uveitis - been going on for years.  Am on chemo drugs to control it but not much left of my vision. :(

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »
Zedul, do what you have to do. Your posts are easier to read with the larger font and it makes them unique. My eyes ain't what they used to be either.. but I still have my hair! ;)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
I have terrible vision, and no hair! sigh.. ;D
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »

Ok if it's bothering you that much but I actually wish everyone else would type bigger. I have to strain to see most of these posts and on bad days it's quite painful. I have horrible horrible uveitis - been going on for years.  Am on chemo drugs to control it but not much left of my vision. :(

Can't you use your browsers zoom ability to make the fonts larger? In firefox you can for instance hit Ctrl and the plus sign to increase the font size by one. There are also menu options to do the same.

If your browser for some weird reason lack this feature I suggest you change browser to one that does support this.
/Pa Staav

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:47 PM »

Can't you use your browsers zoom ability to make the fonts larger? In firefox you can for instance hit Ctrl and the plus sign to increase the font size by one. There are also menu options to do the same.

If your browser for some weird reason lack this feature I suggest you change browser to one that does support this.

Ha, now I feel stupid, a trick I never learned. I never knew it worked that way... unbelievable, and awesome.  That makes my life so much easier in so many ways.  Thank you!

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 03:43:06 PM »

Ha, now I feel stupid, a trick I never learned. I never knew it worked that way... unbelievable, and awesome.  That makes my life so much easier in so many ways.  Thank you!

Speaking from my work experience as software developer you are not alone in missing that feature (That nobody else in the thread mentioned it is a good hint that I am right). As a developer I would say it is quite common that people miss this great customization since up to Windows 7 only webbrowsers had a good working zoom ability.

Since Windows 7 came things has improved a lot and now there is now actually a general model for handling font increases that is consistent for all windows programs that so desire. Of course old programs might still use previous methods and these will sometimes work and sometime break the layout of the application.
/Pa Staav

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
  I think it can be said that both RM2 and RMSS have their points and problems. I do not see it in RMSS but others assure me it is there anyway.
  For the Paladin in RM2 it does need some adapting, depending on what your vision of the paladin is. In one of the EA's I think or the combat companion I think there is a spell list that adapts a persons armor so they can adapt to spell casting. Another option is the ArmsMaster spell list in the RMSS/FRP Mentalism Companion that reduces all penalties of the armor by -1 per level. I would allow this for the Paladin in my game with some thought as to what type of paladin the person of playing.
 As per the reference to the RMSS Channeling Comp it is IMHO that adapting the Paladin profession to the deity would be good. This is because all of a deities warrior priests will be the same and have the same spell lists and focus. In fact it might be better for the player to play a Priest of War than a Paladin, but since it is a RMSS/FRP book it would have to be adapted to RM2.

Good Luck and Have Fun
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ynglaur

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:06 PM »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23579228@N04/2335016192/

While drawn as a comparison of MMOs, I think this picture applies to RM as well.  Guess which one is RM, and which are the other systems (Palladium, d20, etc.)?  :p

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 06:58:18 PM »
LOL
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »

While drawn as a comparison of MMOs, I think this picture applies to RM as well.  Guess which one is RM, and which are the other systems (Palladium, d20, etc.)?  :p

That's great!

I often wonder in fact if trying to make RM "easier" or more straightforward isn't a mistake - since part of the fun of it is the complexity and cryptic quality.  It was initially sold to me as an "advanced" gaming system and that was part of the appeal of the thing.  We've gone 5 years with one set of characters and as they hover around the level 50 range they still feel small and incapable of handling the major bad guys. Plus the beauty of RM is that you can still scare a level 50 party with a pack of level 20 monsters or bad guys.  Nothing like a few mystics or sorcerer NPC's throwing around vacuum's to take the starch out of a Lord Player's shorts. :)

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 01:34:31 AM »

Ironically, I am an Eve player and a RM player. Go complexity!

Offline Sewercop

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:15 PM »
Vetsment rocks for pallys.

That people here chime in to make the gm change the rules just to be able to cast in armor is just plain stupid. Thats my opinion. 

If you dont know what vestment is i guess you should look in rmc1 on page 29. Thats a spell list that should be good for a pally. 

Lvl 11 = at 16 enc as at 2. Rock it :)