Author Topic: The best item in the world thread  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The best item in the world thread
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
What is the best magic item in its category in your campaign?  I would love to see what other GM's have cooked up as the ultimate prize.

Here is pretty much the most powerful Misc Magic Item in our world... only one PC has ever possessed it. 

THE MANASTONE

Base Un-attuned Power = x10 pp Multiplier for all realms (the owner of the stone gets this benefit just by picking it up.

Attunement (Sheer Folly)

Attuned Powers:
x20pp Multiplier for all realms

The Manastone functions as a Factor 2 PEM Earthnode with a radius of 10’ per level of its wielder.

It grants the caster to master magic and overcast spells at up to 1.5x level without the normal ESF penalties.  It also increases the casters racial base for Power Points by 300%

All spells at or below casters level are Class I
All spells at 1.25x the casters level are Class II
All Spells at 1.50x the casters level are Class III

+25 BSC for all friendly casters within radius
+50 BSC for wielder

Caster gains free use of the following lists to level:
   Earthblood’s Ways
   Node Mastery
   Earthfocus
   Nodefunctions

The radius of the node also serves as protection against magical storms and null storms.

Some believe the stone is the heart of an ancient titan or earth elemental; others have called it simply the “The Source”

The stone is jade green, roughly the shape of an egg and etched with ancient runes that are indecipherable.  It's most recent wielder fashioned a beautiful woven harness to carry it within.

I'd be interested to see the range of "most powerful" in campaigns. 

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
Re: The best item in the world thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »
I have number of artifacts in my campaign world that compete for the title of being the ultimate magic item.

*The planar anchor, artifact that is said to anchor reality. In practice it nullify magic fields and dimensional warps. Strong magical beings like avatars of gods can use internal magic, but they can not extend the magic outside their body. Lesser magic is totally nullified. The limitations are that the natural range is 1000 steps and the artifact weights 50 tons. Even the current owners, the troll nation, try to avoid the chore of moving the artifact since it require manual labor and use magical mirrors to project the effect to other parts of the world. The problem of aligning mirrors every 1000 steps is the lesser problem compared to moving the boulder. The background of the artifact is that it is resting place of elemental god of air that was slain by a curse that would prevent him from rebirth and the tombstone was created to nullify this curse so that at least his mind could be assembled even thought the artifact prevent him from recreating his body.

*The armor of the skies. Leather armor covered with diamonds that eats magic energy to empower a energy field that protect the user. The downside is that it also drain the users power points. There are some limited magic artifacts that can be made to work with the armor and borrow the power points it has drained, but in general the armor will suck any magic items worn by the wearer dry.

*The dagger of MaMeth, ritual dagger that work as power point battery with unlimited capacity. The only way to refill the dagger is to sacrifice a victim with magic ability to the evil god of MaMeth. Each sacrifice will beacon the users location to all things serving MaMeth. MaMeth is best described as a fallen god of the Cthulhu mythos kind so you better be a MaMeth follower or have a good plan...

*The stone of void. This stone project an energy field that destroy any matter. Typically this includes the wearer also since the magic storm released is not directed in any way. There exist a companion artifact in the form of magical glove that will protect the wearer from harm and allow him to project the field. The downside is that the energy that would have destroyed the wearer will instead hit a living being that resembles the wearer the most. This is typically someone from the family of the wearer of the artifact, but if to much power is drawn from the void stone the counter field will expand from the victim and destroy everything around him or her. In ancient times this artifact was sealed far below the earth after it destroyed a city, unfortunately some players took the artifact without considering why it had been hidden.

The interesting thing IMHO is not the actual powers of the magical items, but what limitations you build into the artifact...
/Pa Staav

Offline Vector Z

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:47 AM »
You know, I rarely use or give out magic items, but my players never seemed to mind. Well, they regularly lost all their stuff anyway, so...

THE MANASTONE

Base Un-attuned Power = x10 pp Multiplier for all realms (the owner of the stone gets this benefit just by picking it up.

Attunement (Sheer Folly)

Attuned Powers:
x20pp Multiplier for all realms

The Manastone functions as a Factor 2 PEM Earthnode with a radius of 10’ per level of its wielder.

It grants the caster to master magic and overcast spells at up to 1.5x level without the normal ESF penalties.  It also increases the casters racial base for Power Points by 300%

All spells at or below casters level are Class I
All spells at 1.25x the casters level are Class II
All Spells at 1.50x the casters level are Class III

+25 BSC for all friendly casters within radius
+50 BSC for wielder

Caster gains free use of the following lists to level:
   Earthblood’s Ways
   Node Mastery
   Earthfocus
   Nodefunctions

Man, this thing's no joke. For something this powerful I'd have to tack on a bizarre and somewhat annoying (but painless) side effect. If you give this thing the characteristic that it constantly summons tens of thousands of ladybugs that swarm all over the bearer, that'll get my vote for Best in the World :D

OR, if we're just coming up with uber-powerful items, how about this:

GM's Hat

Once donned, allows the wearer to control the unfolding of events in any direction he desires for as long as he wishes :P

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »

GM's Hat

Once donned, allows the wearer to control the unfolding of events in any direction he desires for as long as he wishes

(Disad, you get to do all the paperwork)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
Sling Stone of Essence Mastery: when this stone strikes a foe, a lvl 55 rr at -120 is made.  Failure results in target teleported to a random plane.  Stone only affects non essence users.  Agianst essence users, it delivers normal damage.  However, any essence user struck auto attunes to the stone and becomes its new owner, until another essence user is struck with it.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:58:01 AM »
Bag of Holding.

'Nuff said.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
I have number of artifacts in my campaign world that compete for the title of being the ultimate magic item.

*The planar anchor, artifact that is said to anchor reality. In practice it nullify magic fields and dimensional warps. Strong magical beings like avatars of gods can use internal magic, but they can not extend the magic outside their body. Lesser magic is totally nullified. The limitations are that the natural range is 1000 steps and the artifact weights 50 tons. Even the current owners, the troll nation, try to avoid the chore of moving the artifact since it require manual labor and use magical mirrors to project the effect to other parts of the world. The problem of aligning mirrors every 1000 steps is the lesser problem compared to moving the boulder. The background of the artifact is that it is resting place of elemental god of air that was slain by a curse that would prevent him from rebirth and the tombstone was created to nullify this curse so that at least his mind could be assembled even thought the artifact prevent him from recreating his body.

*The armor of the skies. Leather armor covered with diamonds that eats magic energy to empower a energy field that protect the user. The downside is that it also drain the users power points. There are some limited magic artifacts that can be made to work with the armor and borrow the power points it has drained, but in general the armor will suck any magic items worn by the wearer dry.

*The dagger of MaMeth, ritual dagger that work as power point battery with unlimited capacity. The only way to refill the dagger is to sacrifice a victim with magic ability to the evil god of MaMeth. Each sacrifice will beacon the users location to all things serving MaMeth. MaMeth is best described as a fallen god of the Cthulhu mythos kind so you better be a MaMeth follower or have a good plan...

*The stone of void. This stone project an energy field that destroy any matter. Typically this includes the wearer also since the magic storm released is not directed in any way. There exist a companion artifact in the form of magical glove that will protect the wearer from harm and allow him to project the field. The downside is that the energy that would have destroyed the wearer will instead hit a living being that resembles the wearer the most. This is typically someone from the family of the wearer of the artifact, but if to much power is drawn from the void stone the counter field will expand from the victim and destroy everything around him or her. In ancient times this artifact was sealed far below the earth after it destroyed a city, unfortunately some players took the artifact without considering why it had been hidden.

The interesting thing IMHO is not the actual powers of the magical items, but what limitations you build into the artifact...

Interesting stuff there.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
Thank you Yammahoper and Pastaav for sharing your items and the flavor of your campaign.

The spirit of Rolemaster has always struck me as "epic"  I have I.C.E. books laying at my feet with +120 swords that do 7 full attacks and 7 full parry's per round, and magical hourglasses that burn up entire cities and raise skeleton hordes to conquer empires with...  just saying.

Offline Vince

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »
Item of forecasting (Sort of helmet, or similar item)
   The idea is simple, it's like an intuition spell only that is not a general idea, its like playing for real without dangers.
   When you activate this item, you have to control your power points, hit points, experience points, everything. Then you start playing, like normal game, but this items works like saving the game as videogames. You have X time to advance the game, being sure that you can't die or make a big mistake. At the end of that time, usually (we will see later the options) you come back at the place and situation where you were at the time of activating the item. You will remember everything, you can also with good memory draw a map, or remember specific details that can come important later in the game. The caster will be the only person with this info, probably other players had played this alternative reality, but they will have to play as if they don't know anything.
 Note that caster is aware that he is in a forecast reality so he can risk more , because he knows that he can't die. If he dies while in forecast reality , everything will resume at the origin point no matter what, even mind-altering spells on caster.

Options recommended: Spell only once per day or week. Not more than five minuts of forecasting. Rolls can change this forecast reality and real game, so you will see and remember for example when you try to cross swiming a river that there are animals hidden, but maybe sometimes you roll enough to swimm and sometimes you will not. The caster will not gain any experience points, hits, or lose power points at the forecast reality.

Options for GM: If the forecast result satisfactory, GM can allow the players to accept this reality exactly, and don't force the players to repeat everything again.
  Allow other players to remember what happened in the forecast reality in order to play it later. Some players will argue that they are true living and learning with this experience , but i will not allow them to earn the experience points.

it gives players a way of being succesful in difficult missions without powerful items.

Hope you liked.

Order of the Iron Crown

(RM2+ Shadow World+ GM)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 02:10:12 PM »
If you're going to have "The Most Fabulous Object in the World", you have to have a "Fortress of Ultimate Darkness" to keep it in, no?

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
Improbability Drive hands down.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 04:40:11 PM »
   The idea is simple, it's like an intuition spell only that is not a general idea, its like playing for real without dangers.
   When you activate this item, you have to control your power points, hit points, experience points, everything. Then you start playing, like normal game, but this items works like saving the game as videogames. You have X time to advance the game, being sure that you can't die or make a big mistake. At the end of that time, usually (we will see later the options) you come back at the place and situation where you were at the time of activating the item. You will remember everything, you can also with good memory draw a map, or remember specific details that can come important later in the game. The caster will be the only person with this info, probably other players had played this alternative reality, but they will have to play as if they don't know anything.
 Note that caster is aware that he is in a forecast reality so he can risk more , because he knows that he can't die. If he dies while in forecast reality , everything will resume at the origin point no matter what, even mind-altering spells on caster.

Options recommended: Spell only once per day or week. Not more than five minuts of forecasting. Rolls can change this forecast reality and real game, so you will see and remember for example when you try to cross swiming a river that there are animals hidden, but maybe sometimes you roll enough to swimm and sometimes you will not. The caster will not gain any experience points, hits, or lose power points at the forecast reality.

Options for GM: If the forecast result satisfactory, GM can allow the players to accept this reality exactly, and don't force the players to repeat everything again.
  Allow other players to remember what happened in the forecast reality in order to play it later. Some players will argue that they are true living and learning with this experience , but i will not allow them to earn the experience points.

it gives players a way of being successful in difficult missions without powerful items.

Hope you liked.

That's pretty crazy powerful!  Yea that definitely goes to the top of "best item in the world".  I don't know if I'd give out anything THAT good!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
Mine would have to be The House That Jack Built.

Jack Schidt was a famous explorer. He doubtless had some Elven blood, because he certainly spent more than one human lifetime exploring the world. He went so many places and met so many people that you were indeed an ignorant hick from the sticks if you didn't know Jack Schidt.

Of course, this meant that he spent the vast majority of his time among strangers, in places where he was ignorant of the local customs and economy. It is natural in such cases to want a good weapon and a good shield. The shield Jack commissioned is a medium large roundshield (21" radius), slightly convex. Both rim and boss are nicely decorated, but there is a bit of the edge decoration just behind the very bottom of the rim that, when pressed, will cause the center to separate from the rim. It opens like a round hatch because indeed, that's exactly what it is. Look into the hatch and you'll be looking down the spiral staircase into the living room.

The House That Jack Built is an 18 room mansion, with some really amazing niceties like refrigeration and heat. You carry the door.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
What is the best magic item in its category in your campaign?  I would love to see what other GM's have cooked up as the ultimate prize.

By no means the most powerful but I (and perhaps my players) are having a lot of fun with the Tapesty Room (C&T III was it?). It took them a while to figure out how to open it (I used a riff on the Tony Orlando and Dawn "knock three times" lyrics). But now it has a kitchen, bedroom, storage etc.

Regards,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Mine would have to be The House That Jack Built.

Jack Schidt was a famous explorer. He doubtless had some Elven blood, because he certainly spent more than one human lifetime exploring the world. He went so many places and met so many people that you were indeed an ignorant hick from the sticks if you didn't know Jack Schidt.

Of course, this meant that he spent the vast majority of his time among strangers, in places where he was ignorant of the local customs and economy. It is natural in such cases to want a good weapon and a good shield. The shield Jack commissioned is a medium large roundshield (21" radius), slightly convex. Both rim and boss are nicely decorated, but there is a bit of the edge decoration just behind the very bottom of the rim that, when pressed, will cause the center to separate from the rim. It opens like a round hatch because indeed, that's exactly what it is. Look into the hatch and you'll be looking down the spiral staircase into the living room.

The House That Jack Built is an 18 room mansion, with some really amazing niceties like refrigeration and heat. You carry the door.

Ok that's a cool item...  putting it on my loot list!   Nice work. :)

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »
One thing that occurred to me a year or two after I thought it up... it might be a good idea to always have someone you trust on the outside. I mean, if the shield is laid face down, what is a person trying to open the door from the inside working against? The mass of an 18 room mansion on one side and the mass of a planet on the other side, no? Seems like you might have a tough time getting that door open.

There's probably an emergency exit somewhere.

Oh and here's a nasty one... The Dagger of the Damned. It's a Black Alloy Dagger with no magical bonus that does Dark Absolution on any successful hit (1 or more hits delivered). Be careful not to fumble, huh?

Offline Vector Z

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 03:54:05 AM »
You know, I had a similar idea that I used in a WoD game years ago. But it was an ability, rather than an item. It was limited in that you could only go a few rounds into the future, depending on how developed it was. Never occurred to me to embody this power into an item, though I like the idea.

If you need other ways to limit it, maybe you could have it powered by something that needs to be replenished. Something like... sand! Not just any sand though... magic sand! :P

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »
One thing that occurred to me a year or two after I thought it up... it might be a good idea to always have someone you trust on the outside. I mean, if the shield is laid face down, what is a person trying to open the door from the inside working against? The mass of an 18 room mansion on one side and the mass of a planet on the other side, no? Seems like you might have a tough time getting that door open.

There's probably an emergency exit somewhere.

Oh and here's a nasty one... The Dagger of the Damned. It's a Black Alloy Dagger with no magical bonus that does Dark Absolution on any successful hit (1 or more hits delivered). Be careful not to fumble, huh?

That's one horrible dagger in the hands of the all powerful Nightblade with unpresence we were talking about in the other thread!

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
It's a horrible dagger in the hands of pretty much anyone. But at the same time, it's a fairly well self-correcting problem. Everyone fumbles eventually, and when you do, chances are good you have to RR against Dark Absolution yourself.

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
Well, we try to avoid extremely powerful artifacts in our campaigns, so I won't contribute much here. However, as stated earlier here, ICE have some extremely powerful items listed in some of their adventures. I think the most powerful that come to mind was from one of the "Lords" books, concerning lords of Middle Earth (OK, that's not really an adventure, but still). Morgoths Iron Crown. Yep, no wonder Iron Crown Enterprises made the Iron Crown the most powerful item in all their books. I don't recall all it's abilities at the moment (look it up if you have the book!), but there sure were many. I DO remember the most powerful ability, though - it lets you cast 20 spells each round. I don't think this was ever meant to be found by any adventurer, though. I don't really see why they made stats, skills and items for all the Valar, except of course because they thought it was fun :-)
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't