Author Topic: When you start selling Rolemaster RMFRP pdfs again will they be searchable?  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Saddith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
When you start selling Rolemaster RMFRP pdfs again will they be searchable (like Mjolnir pdfs) or will they just be image pdfs like the documents you are selling on RPGNow?

I buy pdfs of my RPG books so I can search them and highlight sections (using Adobe 9 pro) that I may need to revisit during a campaign.  The non-searchable pdfs are useless to me.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I would expect that when they finally get around to selling the RMFRP PDFs again that they will be searchable since the vast majority (if not all of the RMFRP PDFs) of the PDFs that Mjolnir sold were searchable.

The only ones that were not searchable were the older RM2 era PDFs where Mjolnir either didn't have the files to recreate the PDFs, or where the files were so old that they couldn't be updated.

However, you will likely have quite a wait on the RMFRP PDFs since they are, at best, apparently a third level priority (from comments already made by the Guild about HARP and RMC coming first).

Offline Saddith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
However, you will likely have quite a wait on the RMFRP PDFs since they are, at best, apparently a third level priority (from comments already made by the Guild about HARP and RMC coming first).

I have all the pdfs for RMFRP and Harps that Mjolnir sold. I am mainly looking for the books that had not been converted to pdfs yet and of course new books

Either RMFRP or RMC is ok. My campaign started in the 80s using the original box set (which I still have), so if new material for RM will be using the RMC rules instead of RMFRP rules then I don’t mind converting back to the old rules. Hell as it is we tend to mix the original RM, RMFRP and MERPS material anyway so I doubt I will get much grief from my players.

Is RMC being revised again or are the RMC books currently being sold by RPGNow the rules future books will be based on?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I have all the pdfs for RMFRP and Harps that Mjolnir sold. I am mainly looking for the books that had not been converted to pdfs yet and of course new books

And here is where they have the exact same problem that Mjolnir had in regards to previously published books. When the original ICE went through bankruptcy and the court sold off the IP, the rights to a number of products returned to their original authors, and Mjolnir couldn't and the Guild cannot republish those books without making new deals with all of the authors involved in each book.

If they can find and make deals with those authors, then there is a chance of seeing those products in print again.

Is RMC being revised again or are the RMC books currently being sold by RPGNow the rules future books will be based on?

On this, I am not going to comment. The only solid information I have is what they have stated publicly (i.e. that they are planning on revising HARP, even though they are just calling it "tweaks"). Beyond that, I have no idea and refuse to speculate publicly. However, Thom@ICE has encouraged folks to discuss a possible RM revision in another thread, so take that for what you will...

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
When you start selling Rolemaster RMFRP pdfs again will they be searchable (like Mjolnir pdfs) or will they just be image pdfs like the documents you are selling on RPGNow?

I buy pdfs of my RPG books so I can search them and highlight sections (using Adobe 9 pro) that I may need to revisit during a campaign.  The non-searchable pdfs are useless to me.

The scanned image pdfs are all of RM2 vintage products. Aurigas owned the rights to those products but the cost-benefit ratio to reworking them into new shiny pdfs did not make sense in terms of time and money to GCP or Aurigas. We have them on sale so that they can be legally purchased.

It may be those RM2-vintage books are reincarnated at some future date as part of new products. If so, then they will be searchable.

The Rolemaster RMFRP pdfs should all be searchable and this should also be the case with RMFRP and RMSS products published by Old Pre-bankruptcy ICE as long as the archives are sound.

The RMFRP rebranding is on a separate workstream to the HARP tweaking and I expect the first RMFRP book to appear soon as a purchasable pdf. Once the first has been successfully rebranded to my satisfaction, then others will follow.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

• OIC Points +0/-0

Either RMFRP or RMC is ok. My campaign started in the 80s using the original box set (which I still have), so if new material for RM will be using the RMC rules instead of RMFRP rules then I don’t mind converting back to the old rules. Hell as it is we tend to mix the original RM, RMFRP and MERPS material anyway so I doubt I will get much grief from my players.

Neither RMClassic nor RMFRP are being revised. We hope to recover further RM2 Companion material, and where the cost-benefit ratio makes sense, this material will be updated to be compatible with RMClassic. Recovered RMSS/FRP products will be compatible with the extant RMSS/FRP books.

As for the RM Revision thread, that's an opportunity for fans to talk about stuff.

HARP is only being tweaked, not revised.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  One thing I think Nicholas forgot was to include was ICE or N-ICE (New ICE as I have come to think of it) is also trying to contact and talk to authors of products to get them back into print or PDF. Just like Rasyr said above. I do not know the success or failure of "talks" but some authors on the board seem to have a positive feeling on the future prospects.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Saddith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Thank you Rasyr, NicholasHMCaldwell, and markc. :D

• OIC Points +0/-0
I can confirm that the rebranded RMFRP base book is searchable.

With regard to negotiations with freelance authors who had books published with either Old ICE (that is pre-bankruptcy ICE) or with Mjolnir, these are indeed ongoing. Just as the bankruptcy of Old ICE left many works in copyright limbo, the inability of Mjolnir to pay its freelance authors and others has left multiple Mjolnir-era products in a similar copyright limbo and this affects every single product line - Rolemaster, HARP, Spacemaster, Cyradon, and  some non-Terry Shadow World products. I will not be commenting on ongoing negotiations.

(Obviously I've been able to sort myself out with regard to Mentalism Companion, Construct Companion, College of Magics, and HARP SF!)

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
HARP is only being tweaked, not revised.

If the end result is a book that has content that is different from what has been published before (excepting typo and other corrections, such as errata fixes), then it is a revision/new edition, no matter what you try to call it.

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Topic is being locked - original post was previously answered.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com