Author Topic: New group, new converts  (Read 1253 times)

Offline runequester

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New group, new converts
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:13:19 PM »
A few weeks back, a friend of mine announced he wanted to run a game. That was a surprise, as I am almost universally the GM in our group. On top of that, he wanted to run Rolemaster.

This was even more of a surprise. I knew he liked RM combat, but was under the impression he thought the game was a little too clunky, compared to Runequest (our other go-to game).

He brought along 3 of his friends, who all had interest, but no previous experience with Rolemaster at all.

3 sessions in, with another tomorrow, and its good times.
We're doing 2nd edition. Our group has a fighter, a farmer NPC (from one of the companions), a magician (with a few spell lists swapped out), a thief, a rogue and a lay healer NPC.

Level 2 so far, and a grand time is had by all. It's an interesting situation as I am still occupying the position of "rules guy" but without the added weight of telling the story and refereeing the game at the same time.

So eh. Good game. Still holds up today :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New group, new converts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »
You can also try Co-GMing if your both up for it. That way the work can be spread over a couple of people with both getting a chance to play.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »
Glad to hear you're having a good time, it can be nice to have a break from always being the GM.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Online Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:27:18 PM »
Once I finally get a new campaign off the ground I intend to have each player run at least one session each in which their character is the one that would "know everything".  For example X Character is from Y city and is very familiar with Z location there, so an adventure will take place in that location and that player will be the one to lead the session.  Obviously I can/will effectively be Co-GMing the session, but the intention is for the player to design the basic scenario and run like 75% of it (i'd just thrown in the unexpected stuff).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss