Author Topic: Android Apps  (Read 5141 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Android Apps
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
Hey everyone,

I know I am always whining about what I would like to have but I still hope some of my request will find its way into publishing. I recently found this neat app (http://www.androidpit.de/de/android/market/apps/app/air.be.jonsson.pathfinder.compendium/Pathfinder-spell-compendium). It is rather simple but I think something like it would be brilliant for HARP (with which it is probably doable, as opposed to RM).
I have no idea how difficult it is to script or program (don't know what to use here) such an app but I would be really nice to buy such a thing in the android market.

Best Wishes,
munchy
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
Re: Android Apps
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »
I plan to develop android apps now that I have a smasung galaxy tablet.

First thing is to get my harp and rm character programs back online, then make them formatted for mobile screens (css stuff).

I want to develop a specific android (and iphone) app but I'd probably charge for it as I want to do this fulltime and thus develop better programs!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline ReaperWolf

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:36:05 PM »
I plan to develop android apps now that I have a smasung galaxy tablet.

First thing is to get my harp and rm character programs back online, then make them formatted for mobile screens (css stuff).

I want to develop a specific android (and iphone) app but I'd probably charge for it as I want to do this fulltime and thus develop better programs!

You know what APP I would kill for, the crit tables with Martial Law adjustments. That would be amazing. On the fly modifications to bleeding, stuns, etc. can be a little mentally taxing.

>>ReaperWolf

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
Getting something like for Harp should prove easy. I would love to make a combat tracker on one of those things.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »
Yeah but can you imagine how big the app would be with core rules, MA adjustments, hacknslash rules, ...

Or should I write three apps and charge for them?!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:56:46 AM »
Yeah but can you imagine how big the app would be with core rules, MA adjustments, hacknslash rules, ...

I envision apps within an app.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 05:42:59 AM »
Having a full combat tracker for each combat system would be neat. I would turn it into several apps and then let people buy the one they want to use for their game. Or, don't know whether this is possible, allow a bundly purchase if they want to have all combat systems, i.e. all three apps.

For starters I would be quite happy to have an app for my android phone that allows me to browse the spells of HARP, sorted by sphere and globally searchable, maybe with a function that allows me to create own spheres - for the different clerics in my game.

It might be sensible to include a checklist that allows you to say what spells you allow, i.e. from which book. We have used all the spells available including the grimoire and in another round only the core rule spells.

And if I am allowed to request even more, maybe it would be cool to be able to also have a personalised version of all the spells if you want to, i.e. being able to change durations, costs, descriptive text, if you have such adjustments in your game. While you are on the other hand able to quickly check the original spell again.
Boy, not as easy a request as I thought initially ... but then again once you get to state your wishes ...
Tell me, if all that would be possible. Maybe a new thread for every specific app would be helpful, where similar to Nicholas' thread some time ago, the developer in the first post shows what is planned and/or what the status is at the moment, and then other people can add ideas and request which might find their way into this first overview post. (Is that still understandable?)

Yep, apps would be great and I would definitely also pay for them as they contain official I.C.E. material.

It would be nice to have a lot of stuff as apps, lists of equipments for example, monsters, critical tables etc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:54:48 AM by munchy »
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »

The rules regarding programs do not seem to have changed from back when Mjolnir was running things. Therefore, I would suggest reviewing them - http://www.ironcrown.com/?page_id=78 - before going too far, as it appears that some, if not most, of what is being discussed would require a special license from the current ICE according to the rules on that page, and I certainly wouldn't want you to get into trouble.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:17:50 AM »

The rules regarding programs do not seem to have changed from back when Mjolnir was running things. Therefore, I would suggest reviewing them - http://www.ironcrown.com/?page_id=78 - before going too far, as it appears that some, if not most, of what is being discussed would require a special license from the current ICE according to the rules on that page, and I certainly wouldn't want you to get into trouble.
yeah, thats what I thought....
but first I have to see if I can even write an app for android... and theres nothing stopping me from writing it and putting it on my samsung galaxy tablet for my own personal use... :)

Just because that would be really, really cool!  8)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »
Any news in this field?
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
hi munchy,

Im working on it.
Ive got a framework that shows the data, but being my first android app Im trying to get data from an XML file into the app.

At the moment Im having trouble visualising how the data backend works. Maybe Id improve with a Java course, but Eclipse is so touchy that the basic java apps have to be rewritten anyway to work inside an Android framework that I dont see any point learning a language that doesnt work for the environment Im working in....

Any hints anyone (and going to the stackoverflow website isnt a hint  ::):o
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 12:58:26 AM »
Hi all

just an update in this area. . .

Ive developed the app front end now, and it correctly lets you browse the device storage to read the filename and passes that back to the caling app. Tonight I start on loading the xml and populating the fields with data.

I will probably release a version for free with a demo character loaded so you can see how it operates. Then you can purchase the full app to put your own character into it. It will display the xml file and also export to xml file on local storage.
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 09:05:17 PM »
Android app development is going ok: Screen shots attached.

Yes the descriptions tab is not finished as I have another 4 tabs to add to it...

The icons are free, but anyone willing to design icons and images would be great...
 ;D

(NB: attachements need to be approved by moderator)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 05:47:25 AM »
Looking good. Really looking forward to it.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Marc R

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »
(Bumped this over to the software sub fora)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
Wanted to display character notes in html browser subwindow inside a tab, but having issues.

combat tab is built and now all screens are built.
Need to add xml import functions for each screen now(!).
More screens attached

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
Update:

Character now displays the character details (race, name, level, profession, culture, etc) details on the description tab - the first xml import stage is now complete!

Problem: the fields display both the default string and thw xm field in the same space, making it unreadable. I believe that it is a issue with me not calling layoutinflater but will work on it tonight.

Its moving along!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »
First screen completed. No issues. Loads from local xml file. 5 more to go. Hopefully I will be able to have a working demo with my current character by the weekends game!
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
Didnt get the demo done. Monday night finally got the skills populated and working after four days of looking after the kids (leaving no time to ruminate on the thoughts of programming).
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer