Author Topic: Races & Cultures Errata  (Read 4416 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: Races & Cultures Errata
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 06:12:40 AM »
Any opinion on where to aim the adolescence ranks per the OP Peter?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
Any opinion on where to aim the adolescence ranks per the OP Peter?

IMHO, starting ranks should always be Alertness.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
My personal opinion also leans toward alertness, but keep in mind that if you live in an area where predatory cats see people as food, you might find yourself a potential ambush target more often than the most hated king. . . .of course per my opinion you'd still likely be more alert if you were living in such a place.
Of course, the defense we would use in situation like that is the one classified as the best defense: offense. We would actively hunt them down - like we have consistently over the course of human civilization. Heck, we even hunted to near extinction animals we merely thought might be a problem.

As for the Alertness vs. Sense Ambush: I think that if Sense Ambush negates an ambushers ranks in Ambush, then it is a bona fide skill, but I also think that it is unnecessary because I think the Ambush skill is unnecessary. The ambushing character states their intention, and depending upon the roll succeeds, partially succeeds, fails, fumbles, etc... The nit-picky nature of RM to need to codify everything is why get skill bloat. Just work off of: intent & roll total. The GM deciphers from there.

Alertness is your basic, subconscious awareness to your surroundings ("unconscious observation" - School of Hard Knocks), and actually sounds like it should be more of an RR that is level based, going by that description.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »
My personal opinion also leans toward alertness, but keep in mind that if you live in an area where predatory cats see people as food, you might find yourself a potential ambush target more often than the most hated king. . . .of course per my opinion you'd still likely be more alert if you were living in such a place.

You live in New York City?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Ayup. My cats are only predatory vs very small animals and bugs. . . .and crime here in the big apple is way down since it peaked in the 80s. . .but I bet my adolescence gave me some ranks of alertness.  ;)

I suspect, in relation to the OP, the errata will direct to Alertness rather than cat ranks (pun intended)

RandalThor, I saw a program recently, relating to how lions rarely eat herd culture Massai in Kenya, because their culture leans toward militancy, being armed all the time, and forming posses for hunting down and killing any man or cow eating lion. . .but in the Eastern seaboard of Tanzania the agriculturalist locals get eaten by lions fairly regularly, because their culture is non militant, people generally don't go around armed, and they don't posse up and hunt down man eater lions when they strike. . .Even in the modern era when guns make hunting down predators easier, in some cultures they seemingly tolerate a certain level of man eating predation, and have for as long as people can remember. (In pre modern India, people got eaten by tigers on a fairly regular basis, to the point where some tigers were thought to prey exclusively on people).

In europe, most of the megafauna predators were exterminated, not by farmers or vengeance seeking bands, but by the insatiable need to feed the Roman arenas, and the fact that for every animal that made it to the arena, ten or more died in capture, transit or storage. . .greed and spectacle, not a rational desire not to be part of anyone's diet.

So I wouldn't assume that in a game world where roving bands of violent adrenaline junkies (player characters) are tolerated, doesn't have animals (much less monsters) snacking on people. . .Hunting such creatures is a good chunk of many adventurer's occupational duties.

Heh, the above made me think of a game, where the party need to go out and capture monsters for the arena. . ."Don't kill the troll, he's worth nothing to us dead!"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
Ayup. My cats are only predatory vs very small animals and bugs. . . .and crime here in the big apple is way down since it peaked in the 80s  ;)

I agree that crime should be treated like small animals and bugs........ and we should get your cats involved. ;D
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
First of all, I never assume there aren't exceptions - but its the rule that, well, rules. Remember wolves? Well, we nearly hunted to extinction because we thought they were evil and preyed upon humans. They didn't. But the reality of the situation didn't matter, our perception of the situation. (The reality of the situation was that they were a competing predatory species that hunted the same things we hunted, and why the hell didn't ALL of them become dogs?  ;D)

Heh, the above made me think of a game, where the party need to go out and capture monsters for the arena. . ."Don't kill the troll, he's worth nothing to us dead!"
Yeah, and the biggest difference between the typical fantasy world and Earth: many of the creatures are intelligent & actively seeking the destruction of humanity as a species. Plus, even the ones that aren't intelligent are generally much more dangerous than anything we have currently: A bullette would wreck a middle-ages village here on Earth! Frikkin wreck it! There would be very little to do about the beast.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
Elves and cats: equally worthless.

:o
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
OK, the errata will read to change those ranks to Awareness.

Post now or never if you have issue with that.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
Elves and cats: equally worthless.

Yeah, but Elven-Cats are awesome.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 08:32:20 PM »
Elves are cats.

They're beautiful, they're graceful, they're vicious little sods, and when they're happy they make pleasing noises.

The only difference is that an elf has fewer feet and, if you're really unlucky, a sense of humor (which cats never seem to have).

You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 10:52:10 PM »
My two new cats enjoy jumping in to join me in the shower, or tub. . .I'm baffled, perhaps they're changelings? I've never known a cat to be so casual about getting wet. . .it's a real pain in the arse to towel off, then chase them down and dry them before they get water everywhere. . .perhaps they're elves in disguise?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Or are related to tigers.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »
...or jaguars.

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Must be a school of hard knocks rule, not the RM2 version I base my statements on.

The only difference between the RMSS version and School of Hard Knocks is that RMSS list 30 to -70 as penalty associated with assassinations without explanation how it is applied and school of hard knocks mentions in a note that Sense Ambush can be used to give a penalty to assassination attempts, but does not list any penalties or explain how it is done. Neither version include any rule about Sense Ambush ranks having any special meaning.

Actually if I recall correctly the only example in the RMSS book that talk about defending from ambush attacks suggest the use of Alertness as skill to discover that somebody is trying to ambush you.

The idea to have Sense Ambush ranks work as a automatic defense against ambush attacks would actually mean there is a point with having the skill.
/Pa Staav

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »
we skipped over them, but what about the RR bonuses in the OP?