Author Topic: Stat allocation for RMFRP Armsmaster  (Read 2488 times)

Offline valanthe

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stat allocation for RMFRP Armsmaster
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:30:59 PM »
I'm new to Rolemaster and I've decided to start playing an Armsmaster.

Basically I need help figuring out stat allocation, skill selections, what skill groups to buy (soldier, knight) etc.  As well as basically things like, how are power points decided?  To give you an idea of the type of game we play...we tend to be a bit on the roleplay side, so it's not overly hack and slash.  I'm not looking for a munchkin build or anything.  Just a well rounded build that won't leave me out to dry on certain things...but also won't let me feel like i'm underpowered by any means.  Any and all suggestions on stats, skills, spells, or anything would greatly be appreciated right down to type of armor etc.

To give you another idea...I want to be a knight type character...that is to say heavy armor.  So if Armsmaster isn't a fit for that...please let me know.  I had thought about a rather egotistical knight who got hit in the head a few too many times (to my knowledge since an Armsmaster is a mentalist character they don't wear helmets).  He's charming and self-assured and by no means a pain in the butt...he just doesn't quite equate well to the lay person and his memory is shot from too many blows to the head.

Again, any help on how to create this character effectively, any detail what so ever, is greatly appreciated.

Offline Vector Z

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Stat allocation for RMFRP Armsmaster
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:41:27 AM »
Great choice! I've always liked Armsmasters. They have kind of a "special forces" feel to them, I think, and would be excellent knights :)

These guys are great cause they can hold their own in battle pretty well, and have some magic to draw on for when it gets a little too deep.

Armsmasters develop armor skills decently, so being a heavy armor type should be no problem, and you might want to build up your Armor Mastery spell list to really expand on this aspect.

There's a Skill called Power Point Develoment, put some development points in there to increase your PP, and that will be modified by your Presence cause you're a Mentalism user.

His Prime Stats are Agility and Presence, so if you put your lowest scores there, they'll be transformed to 90 (I think) automatically. Of course that's assuming you use the random generation method (which I hate, btw) instead of assigning values. Wouldn't hurt to invest a little in Strength so he can hurt people, and Constitution so he'll get hurt less. As far as weapon skills, I would just pick out 2 or 3 to develop, and save some DP for whatever other skills may be useful in your particular campaign.

Just remember you can wear a helmet, you just can't cast spells with it on. So when your character "gets serious" it'll have to come off ;)

Or you could just have those gorgeous golden locks flowing in the breeze all the time, if that suits his overblown ego more :D

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:58:37 AM »
Welcome to the forums Valanthe!

Do you use talents and flaws? (Talent Law or Character Law?) This will make a difference concerning skills and spells to chose.

An armsmaster is an interesting choice for a first time at rolemaster. From what you describe as your character concept it seems an excellet choice. However, if you guys are not into hack n slash I would might have considered other options.

The armsmasters spell lists (base lists) are all oriented towards combat, and to a large degree towards mass combat, if I remember correctly. Same goes for the everyman and occupational skills (very cheap skills affiliated with the profession). In the games my group playes these never come into play - yours could be diffrent, of course..

You could get realtively cheap "influence skills", which are good, but "lore skills" and languages (communications) are costly.

Personally one of my favourites is The Magent - also a mentalism user. Excellent at fighting, but even better at subterfuge, perception, influence, communications and assasinations..

If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline valanthe

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
Thanks for some of the info.  For clarity...when it comes to stats we're using the 660 point assignment where you have to put at least 90 into both prime stats...they don't become 90 automatically.  So 180 of my 660 are already accounted for.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »
Skill development can be limited if you wish to keep your base list to the characters level.  As such, I recommond all semi spell users take one of the POWER talents in Character Law.  This will allow you to develop pp dev and skills for a good three to five levels before having to purchase more spell ranks.  This talent is only appropriate however if the PC had amply study time in its background. 

Look through "of Mentalism" and decide which spell list the PC will want to devolop over its career and to what level.  You may be able to train some list to the highest level you desire them with the POWER talent.  For example, I Often take the list Damage Resistance to sixth level and stop training it there.

Base list alone can take 30 dev a level.  The POWER option frees up 90 to 150.  If used to buy ranks in open and closed, it frees up considerable more.

Since the PC has a high Pr mod, focus on influence skills which are always a great help in roleplaying situations.

It is unlikely you will start in Full Plate (AT 20), but a Breats Plate (AT 17) can work.  It will take several levels to reach the minimum mnv penalties, but a Knight TP, Guardian or Cavalier package will help.  You might want to add Soldier or City Guard, depending on background.  I think Castle and Ruins has a SQUIRE TP you might take if you go the Knight route.

If your GM uses Tresure Compnaions optional magic armor table, then even a +5 breast plate, or even full plate, become managible, as the table assumes all penalties for magic armor are reduced 80%.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline valanthe

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion on the 660 point stat allocation?  Should I go above 90 in my two prime stats?  What's an acceptable str, con and quickness?  Is 75 enough or should i push more?

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:47:14 PM »
I normally try to go higher on Quickness, since it affects initiative and Defensive bonuses.  75 is good, but if you can spare the points for 80 or 85, even better.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Anyone have a suggestion on the 660 point stat allocation?  Should I go above 90 in my two prime stats?  What's an acceptable str, con and quickness?  Is 75 enough or should i push more?

Depends on a lot.  How combat intensive is the game?  If very, then sacrificing higher average stats in the long run may be a good idea.  If combat is fairly rare, you can probably go with the 75, have a good temps and high over all average stats/temps.  In general, it takes till 5th level to reach max potentials.

I typically plan well rounded stats.  Spell users have so many needs good stats really pay off in the long run.  Yet no weakness is unlikely!  OTOH, it can be fun to play a truely gifted PC with an obscenely high stat and several lower ones good roleplaying will need to compensate.

Average: 90, 90, 75, 75, 75, 75, 65, 65, 25, 25.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »
I'm new to Rolemaster and I've decided to start playing an Armsmaster.
Let me stop you there: I have always wanted to play an Armsmaster, my ideal character being a 50th level Armsmaster infiltrating the Jerak Ahrenreth in Ardania. (In Shadow World, Emer.) With the ultimate goal of taking over. Muahahahahaha!!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:26:46 PM by RandalThor »
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:14:51 PM »
Will you be rolling for stat gains each level? Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down..
For our current games, I use linear stat progression. For us, stats only increase until they reach Potentials. It balances out by 5th lvl and sometimes by 3rd lvl. They only problem is that with linear, you have no chance of rolling really high potentials.

Minimums for averaged Temp = Potential Stats + Bonus
100 = 101 +12
98 = 100 +10
94 = 98 +9
90 = 96 +8
83 = 94 +7
81 = 92 +6
73 = 90 +5
63 = 85 +4
52 = 80 +3
42 = 75 +2
31 = 70 +1
I'll bet most people don't use Linear stat gain. For me, it was frustrating to not even depend on your stats until you get a few levels under your belt.
Your game may vary. :)
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:10:22 AM »
Commong stat assignments in RMFRP are for instance.

or
Average: 90, 90, 85, 85, 75, 75, 55, 55, 25, 25.

The reason for making all stats end on 5 is that it give better potentials if you use the standard way to figure out potentials.
/Pa Staav

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 12:30:58 AM »
Commong stat assignments in RMFRP are for instance.

or
Average: 90, 90, 85, 85, 75, 75, 55, 55, 25, 25.

The reason for making all stats end on 5 is that it give better potentials if you use the standard way to figure out potentials.

+1
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 10:20:38 AM »
My suggestion for the stat-assignments would be
90, 90, 85, 85, 85, 85, 45, 45, 25, 25
at least when using random potential stats. The reason is that any stat with an initial temporary value of 85 or higher has a chance to get a 100 as potential stat. Of course some might say that this would be munchkinism  :o.