Author Topic: Stats and DPs  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Scorched_Earth

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Stats and DPs
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:50:07 AM »
Hi, I'm still learning RMC here, but one thing i kept thinking about is the Development Points and the way they're acquired.

I mean, why is it only the first 6 stats that affect DPs? What is the reasoning behind this?

Also, once players figures this out, won't they want to max those first 6 stats at the expense of the others? Because that's what i'd do, personally. I feel it's way more important to have ranks in skills than good stats in those, no?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Stats and DPs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:23:48 AM »
Hmm.  Use to be five stats.  Guess RMC changed a few things.

The answer is to have set DP.  Be friendly, give 50 per level.  This will allow players to take a 20 reasoning if that is his what his PC SHOULD have without being punished agin with low DP.

35 DP would probably be more high average.  I run RMSS and give 100 DP a level.  Works great.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
It's to avoid certain stats from becoming dump stats.  Em/In/Pr are all useful in a tactical setting.  Me/Re are (for most characters) useless (especially Me).  Making the first five DP generating ensures that players think about not nuking them.

Me: Really only affects lore skills.
Re: Lore and perception.
Co: Hits and a few athletic skills.
SD: Adrenal skills!
Ag: Pretty much everything.

St: All melee attacks!
Em/In/Pr: Magic, including RRs, plus animals/perception/social.
Qu: DB and a few athletic skills.

From a skill perspective, Ag/SD and Em/In/Pr are king.  In a tactical setting, it's Ag/St/Co/Qu and Em/In/Pr.  Note how Re/Me get shafted.

Offline Scorched_Earth

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
(Sorry, yeah it's 5 stats for DP)

Thanks for the clarification! Btw, i find character creation is extremely confusing. Is there a step by step guide somewhere? I feel like the manuals are omitting sutff or even contain errors in some places. I need more examples...

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
I run RMSS and give 100 DP a level.  Works great.

I'm with yammahoper.  I use RMSS and give 100 DP per level also.  RM2/RMC have a lower DP rate due to differences in development costs.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »
I use the 5 stat system and give them an additional 30% dp's to spend only on secondary skills. (acrobatics, direction sense, et.)

Also, in my system "memory" not quickness is the initiative stat for using items and casting spells so it's hardly ever neglected.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:23:28 PM »
RMFRP and we use 100DP/lvl. For RMC (without skill  Categories, iirc), you might go for 50/lvl. I'm not familiar.

The manuals are a bit confusing. I recommend sticky notes to mark pages and a notebook. Also, paperclips to make pages off limits. All those sections on "using RM with other systems" are clipped together in my books; don't look.

Narrow the focus to what you need in your game. You may not require all the info RM has to offer.
Most people don't. :)
Then, introduce a bit at a time, each game or take away until it works for your group.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »
There's a flat DP/level option in RMC.

But yes, the logic was intended to stress the attributes that are used less in skills, IMO.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com