Author Topic: Kregora  (Read 2574 times)

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Kregora
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
We're currently running a game of Shadow world (Xa-ar) and the players have stumbled upon some kregora. They dont know what it is - and neither did I.

After doing some research I have now have a pretty good idea of what this is, but I would love to know more.

Is there anything on this in the books? If yes, where? Would love to see an official desciption on properties, value etc etc. One of the players actually have an evaluate metal-skill and thus he is bound to succeed his manuever sometime soon..
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Zat

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Kregora
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 07:52:29 AM »
Hmm...

Isn't this the absurdly valuable metal that depletes magic and power points?

I seem to remember (I'm at work atm, so I can't check) that there is a description of a Kregora chain in RoCo5 (along with a pouch that supresses the magic draining effects) and possibly a description and price for the material in Alchemy Companion (RM2).

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
Hmm...

Isn't this the absurdly valuable metal that depletes magic and power points?

I seem to remember (I'm at work atm, so I can't check) that there is a description of a Kregora chain in RoCo5 (along with a pouch that supresses the magic draining effects) and possibly a description and price for the material in Alchemy Companion (RM2).

Yes it is.

We're playing RMSS/FRP and I dont have any RM2 material. Coulden't find anything on it in Treasure compainon.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Kregora (20,000 sp): An extremely rare, golden alloy, Kregora
is by far the most powerful of the anti-Essence materials.
Even powerful magical items are temporarily rendered
dormant when surrounded by a Kregora-lined receptacle.
Kregora’s damping qualities are equally effective against all
realms of Essænce (i.e., Essence, Mentalism and
Channeling). Unlike Eog, Kregora will sap a spell user’s
Power Points, the rate of drain corresponding to the amount
of Kregora. Fortunately for spell users, Kregora is rare beyond
description and costly (almost) beyond price.

In 1st edition master atlas, pure kregora had a dispelling effect at levl 500.

You can download all the info from the vault, Shadow World Master Atlas IV appendix B.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
The 500 is it's resistance bonus vs destructive magic, not necessarily its level.

It's an alloy of mithril, gold, uranium and other materials  (In our world mithril, gold, uranium, gray eog, and star iron)

It's worth is 20,000 gold pieces per ounce.

+ everything everyone else said on this thread.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
Always was a bit iffy on carrying around a uranium alloy, even if I was a non spell caster. . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:07:25 PM »
Always was a bit iffy on carrying around a uranium alloy, even if I was a non spell caster. . .

Pull out Space master and get the Radiation Critical table.  Roll an A radiation crit every month/week/day/hour, depeding on ammount of uranium/kregora.  Record the information in secret.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Zedul

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »

Pull out Space master and get the Radiation Critical table.  Roll an A radiation crit every month/week/day/hour, depeding on ammount of uranium/kregora.  Record the information in secret.

Ohh fantastic idea Marc!

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 04:52:54 AM »
Thanks guys!!  8)

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »
Afraid of radiation from Uranium? It has a half time of a couple of million years and the weak radiation it sends out will not penetrate the skin...not something to worry about if you ask me.

On the other hand it is toxic metal that is accumulated in the body and affect the body in very serious ways. There are real health concerns about handling uranium, but radiation only get part of the picture when you perform fission.
/Pa Staav

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:30:42 PM »
He is right, it's not that radioactive, but I still wouldn't feel terribly comfortable carrying a hunk of it around with me. . .hell, tank gunners sit in a tight metal box with kilos of the stuff around them for lengthy periods. . .but the irrational side of me would still be a bit nervous about it. . .It also depends which isotopic version somewhat, though it's not nearly as dangerous as common lore would seem to indicate. Of course, enough of the wrong isotope in one place might cross the line from exposure to uranium to exposure to an ongoing low grade fission reaction, which would be very bad. . .

Gives me the idea of two foes, closing across a battlefield, but as they start fighting, their swords start to get "hot". . .in both senses of the word.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com