Author Topic: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Add-ons from SM1 and/or SM2  (Read 1511 times)

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
For some reason I looked at my copy of Space Master Companion copyright 1986 and saw a couple of things that I haven't seen included in SM: P. I'm not sure if these three items are, if not already included, candidates as optional rules.

Hull interfacing/coupling, SM: Companion p. 43, operates like the system in Star Trek that allows the saucer, main bridge, separate from the engineering section. Mass = Vehicle Mass, Volume =  Vehicle Mass x 0.3, and cost = Total Vehicle Volume x 5

External Arms, SM: Companion p. 44, are massive "waldoes" used for close range satellite and construct repair. Their Mark Number = a manipulation bonus. Volume = Mk. # / 2, Cost = Mk. # x 500. I'm thinking that Mass follows the volume formula, or is equal to the Mk. #.

Retractable Weaponry, SM: Companion p. 44, basically you to build a Q-ship by allowing the weapons to be hidden. Mass/Volume = Weapon's volume x 0.1 and cost = 1,000 + (Weapon Mk. # x 100).

Also Vessel Compendium #3, p.7, has an optional rule for payload pallets, which has been brought up in the topic SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Hard and Strong Points & Armor Belt.

Payload Pallet Adapters

Payload Pallet Adapters allow a single Payload Pallet to carry more than one load. The only limitation is that, with the adapter, all payloads loaded onto the Pallet must be identical.

For example, a Mk. 90 Payload Pallet outfitted with a Mk. 10 adapter can be loaded with 9 x Mk. 10 mines, 9 x Mk. 10 Torpedoes, or any other 9 x Mk. 10 Payload.

To calculate the cost of a Payload Pallet Adapter, multiply (the Mk. # of the Payload Pallet) x (the Mk. # of the loads carried on the adapter). The Payload Pallet Adapter mentioned above costs 900 El (90 x 10).

All loads carried on a Payload Adapter need not be released at the same time.
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM: Privateers VM Construction & Design: Add-ons from SM1 and/or SM2
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:07:14 PM »
1) Hull Interface: I think was was covered in a Data Net or on the errata page. I generally use the info from T FF&S when I want to do do something like this.
2) Arm: Not that I know of.
3) Retract Weapon: I think the info is in a DN or on the errata page. I think the new numbers are quite a bit higher than those listed but ICBW.

4) Payload: There are some other rules for payload's from the SS: VC such as adding powerplants in PP and other stuff. I do not think that made it into the SM:P VM.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
1) Hull Interface: I think was was covered in a Data Net or on the errata page. I generally use the info from T FF&S when I want to do do something like this.
2) Arm: Not that I know of.
3) Retract Weapon: I think the info is in a DN or on the errata page. I think the new numbers are quite a bit higher than those listed but ICBW.

4) Payload: There are some other rules for payload's from the SS: VC such as adding power plants in PP and other stuff. I do not think that made it into the SM:P VM.
MDC

I've noticed that there were some changes between SM: SS and SM: P final calculations. I'm not sure which are higher.

GURPS: Traveller and GURPS Vehicles also have a method to add the retractable weapon systems IIRC
Tom R

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
There are some big changes in the formulas between SM2 SS and SM:P VM.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline snrdg051306

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »
Sorry to be so late on this one.

Yep, one of the differences is how payload pallets are handled. SM2 gives you a wide range of payloads that can be carried.

A SM: P Mk 15 Medium Payload Pallet Torp has a cost of 75,000 which is 100 x more expensive than an explosive warhead and 10 x that of a nuclear warhead.
Tom R