Author Topic: MERP 2e problem, please help!  (Read 1518 times)

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
MERP 2e problem, please help!
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:58:12 AM »
Now I have a new problem. A new player has joined our online campaign and is new to the game. He asked me to make a character for him. We will be playing tonight. He wanted to play a Dwarf Warrior. I decided on such short notice it would be easiest to simply take one of the pregen characters from the MERP 2e core rulebook and mod it a bit for lvl 2, since we have just leveled up a session back.

I even adjusted his attributes because we are using the stats potentials/improvement rule from Rolemaster where each attribute has a potential it can max out at naturally and you roll each level to see if you get any improvements. He got some improvements from my rolls for lvl 2 so his stats look like this: STR: 98 (+25), AGI: 83 (+5), CON: 93 (+10), INT: 73 (+0), ITN: 74 (+0), PRN: 56 (+0), APP: 64.

I took the Dwarf Warrior from pg 118-119 in the book and started copying his stats down on a character sheet in a PDF. However, the pregen character has a list of his skill bonuses on pg 118 for lvl 2 that do not make sense in some cases. The pregens show what their skill bonuses should be as they go up in levels but if you look at this particular Dwarf's skill bonuses, some do not seem to make sense at lvl 2.

For example: It says his Soft Leather should be -40. However, he has +0 bonus from AGI, -5 item bonus from leg greaves, and -15 Special bonus. This is a net effect of -20. If he had no ranks at all in Soft Leather that would add another -25 to this for a total bonus of -45. So why does the sheet say it should be -40?

There are some other skills like that as well if you look at them.

Please help!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: MERP 2e problem, please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:02:20 AM »
I'd just make the level 2 dwarf.  That way you know everything is right.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:14:17 AM »
  I do not know where you would find errata for the old MERP stuff but as Yammahopper said above I would make the PC from new.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 01:15:08 PM »
I went ahead and finished off the skills an stuff and just overlooked the figures that seemed wrong from the pregen build. 

Offline Mourglin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Slapping the power out of power-gamers since RM1!
    • Madison-art
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »
daddystabz what era in Middle Earth are you running? 3rd age ?  Where is your campaign located at?

Mour

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 09:35:03 PM »
We are playing early 4th age online over OpenRPG.  We are recruiting a couple more players.  Check us out at: http://www.rpgobjects.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=904