Author Topic: MERP 2e/Rolemaster question  (Read 4403 times)

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
MERP 2e/Rolemaster question
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:57:55 AM »
You masters out there...I have most of my characters wearing greaves and I was wondering what determines how many crits greaves of various types can absorb before breakage?

I see no explanation in my MERP 2e book and I own Rolemaster Express but not sure if it is explained there either.

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
Re: [color=green]Not-RM[/color] 2e/Rolemaster question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »
When we played Not-RM, we ruled that leather greaves could absorb one crit and metal greaves could absorb any number of hits.  Not realistic, but easy!

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
Yeah, I though that not-RM actually had that rule in it. Rolemaster isn't very clear on the difference between metal and leather other than I guess you could apply the breakage rules. I always found the negating of crits as per RM2/C to be too powerful, though.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:38:13 PM »
IIRC ME RP did not have breakage rules for greaves. Since we did not want to bother with breakage anyway, we never checker whether RM had such rules for greaves. My guessing it that neither ME RP not RMX do contain such rules - for many groups this is just too much details to track, I assume.

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:43:38 PM »
My point is this....if there are no breakage rules for greaves of any type in MERP 2e then why wear metal over leather greaves? The metal ones hit some of your skills for penalties...so why not just wear leather instead if metal offers no real advantage or leather?

Offline Kristen Mork

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +70/-70
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
That's why we ruled that leather greaves were broken upon absorbing a crit.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: MERP 2e/Rolemaster question
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »
there is an old equipment table somewhere that has in the notes column, leather greaves are good for one crit, metal for two.

however, why not assign a break factor to the greaves?  use the hits delivered as a penalty plus -10 per severity of crit.

I would guess leather greaves to have a bf of 65, metal 85.  Superior and magical gear should be adjusted accordingly.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 11:21:07 PM »
Another thing I just thought of for my MERP 2e game: What if a players wants to perform a called shot to target a specific body part or object? Are there any rules in Rolemaster to cover this situation? I see none in MERP 2e so far.

Offline ironmaul

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I'll work for free, if you can pay all my debts.
    • The Art of Rick Hansen
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:56:32 AM »
I think there are rules in HARP Sci-fi for this but not sure if that will help you.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:47 PM »
I just read that section last night.  It basically explains that the PCs are assumed to fix their equipment in between battles; but that leather is destroyed not damaged by crits.

I would recommend giving them simple usages like SL 1, RL 2, Chain 3, Plate 4 and making it a medium maneuver to repair 1 pt of damage in between battles or a Hard manuever to re-furbish a broken item.  Simple.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »
Another thing I just thought of for my MERP 2e game: What if a players wants to perform a called shot to target a specific body part or object? Are there any rules in Rolemaster to cover this situation? I see none in MERP 2e so far.

Can I ask where you picked up your copy of MERP 2e? It is a hard book to find.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:44:31 AM »
Try http://www.nobleknight.com

Can I ask where you picked up your copy of MERP 2e? It is a hard book to find.
MDC

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:13:20 AM »
Wow my MERP collection is worth more than I thought.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:02 AM »
MDC

Marc - did you have them quote trade-in for credit or sale? Could you tell how much of their retail price they offered? (10% 25%?)
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline smug

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »
I have a full collection of ICE's RM and MERP Middle-Earth stuff now (although I didn't get all editions; I'm probably missing some Angmar, say, because I have the 1e edition only, although I did buy Arnor and The Shire even though there's some duplicated content in them). I am not sure I could even bear to sell them.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
MDC

Marc - did you have them quote trade-in for credit or sale? Could you tell how much of their retail price they offered? (10% 25%?)

No I did not I just looked at the prices of the stuff. Most of my books are in excellent condition and I am bummed that I sold  some of my best stuff 10 years ago when I needed some space.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »
One more question, in terms of MERP 2e and Rolemaster: I've noticed in looking through the MERP 2e material that many of the important NPC writeups for the setting have attributes that are really high. I understand that many are very, very high level, like Legolas at the end of RotK is like lvl 28. However, there are also stats for him at the begging of TFotR and he is lvl 8 there and still have VERY impressive attribute ratings. Though for PCs, I see no real way to increase your attributes at all. Even when you level up, it give you no option for increasing your traits. Now I know that acquiring magic items can buff your attributes somewhat but does anyone have a system from Rolemaster or a homebrew system for increasing PC attributes as you level up?

I'm also looking for an XP table for character advancement past lvl 10, which is the ceiling you can go to in core MERP 2e.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »
I'd grab RM2 or RMC, the exp tables continue on.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
I just had a huge post die on me so here is the short version.

Lords of Middle Earth have rules for high level PC's and NPC's, in my copy of LoME Vol 1 there is no Exp table but they reference RM2 a lot so I would use that info for levels past 10, in the book they provide notes for Legolas at LvL 8 but in the box text they have info for LvL 8 and LvL 28 (I do not see any stat info for LvL 28 in my book) and I do not remember any stat increase rules in MERP as I think they wanted a system that was like the books in that you started at your max potential.
 Since you stated at you max potential then it would require things like magic potions, items and magic experiences to increase your stats. The main one that springs to mind is Ent Brew and I think rules are provided for that in the Ent product.

The next short answer is MERP was inteded mainly as a max Lvl 10 product and it was assumed that higher level PC's would die by then or be taken out by the enemy by then. See note at end of LoME Vol I. But having said that IMHO if you want to get beyond lvL 10 you should use the RM2 or RMC rules or adapt them to the MERP rules you want to use.

MDC

Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline daddystabz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 12:42:26 AM »
Another question: In MERP 2e when you level it up, the book says it costs 3 DPs to increase a skill by 2 ranks. One thing you can do also is transfer leftover DPs from various skill categories into Perception, and I think it is on a 1-1 basis. Does that mean it doesn't cost 3 DPs to increase PER 2 ranks in this fashion then?