Author Topic: Talent Law Question - Talent for Experiance gain?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Talent Law Question - Talent for Experiance gain?
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
Hello All!
I had a character request a talent for extra experience gain.  Is there any good baseline for this?  :o
1.2 x exp = 10 point talent
1.4 x exp = 20 point talent
1.6 x exp = 30 point talent
1.8 x exp = 40 point talent
2.0 x exp = 50 point talent
Anyone have any other thoughts or good guidelines for this concept?  ???
Thanks!!!  8)
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Talent Law Question - Talent for Experiance gain?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
I would say that it would be better to either double those costs or not have it at all. To me it is a waste and would only cause problems in the group.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »
Sounds like the Here and Now Talent/Perk from Fallout 1 & 2 might be appropriate.

Maybe spend 4 or 5 TP and level right then and there. Start off at 2nd lvl instead of 1st.

"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 02:05:18 AM »
My problem would be the rationale... a far better option is to target the effect of the xp gain, as in xp gained from certain activities are increased, leading to faster increase in those skills than to allow a blanket increase in xp..

But this is already effectively what the effect of Everyman skills is... perhaps then it would be better to design a talent where you could specify 1-2 related skills that are treated as everyman?

With reference to them there are already quite a few talents that do the same thing, in my opinion, Talent law could be revised (loosened up) so that there are fewer specific ones and replace them with a number of more generalised ones. Much the same as the "Racial Training" talents.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:09:27 AM »
I would have to say that this would be incredibly unbalancing.

If the character wants to advance faster than his peers, they should simply be willing to put in the work!

otherwise, it becomes an indispensable talent that everyone takes (anyone who failed to take it would literally be "retarded" - learning slower than the others ...

Offline DangerMan

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 05:38:50 AM »
I agree with what has been said above. Be careful..

I dont see how someone should get more experience than others, from the same events. How these experiences are transformed into skills, however, is what you could focus on.

Some time ago I tried writing up a set of new talents, and allowing a skill to be everyman was something I considered. The problem is that the skills are of different importance, thus defining a cost for such a talent becomes impossible. Consider someone wanting e.g. midwifery as everyman, as opposed to someone wanting adrenal defence. The latter should be more expensive in terms of talent points, by far.

I think I would talk to the player and find out exactly why he want this talent. If he simply wants to be the Bigger Bader Bastard I would say he's got to use other talents. If he has some charcter concept he wants to realise, then.. well.. what could that be?
If you're having fun, you're doing it right!

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
Since everyone is concerned about it, I might as well pitch in favor of such a talent ;D  More seriously, one factor to weight in is how you hand out experience point in your campaign.  If you hand experience by the rules (skill xp, spell xp, kill xp, hit xp, crit xp + ideas), I would consider such a talent far less powerful than if you assing a flat number of xp which is equal for all players per session.  Why?  Being higher levels means diminishing xp gain from kills and spells.  The diminishing return on xp gain from being higher level will however have no part in a flat-xp hand out campaign, so you may want to take that into account.

Incidentally, buying other talents has an impact on xp gains, indirectly speaking.  Some guy who gets +30 BO will obviously get more kill and hit xp, while a caster might manage to gain more xp simply by virtue of having merits giving spell bonuses (allowing him to caster high level spells easier) or giving more power points.  So having a talent for experience gain isn't that unbalancing so long as the extra xp gain isn't overwhelming.

Lets say for the sake of argument we go with a Minor talent that gives 25% extra experience, and a major talent that gives 50%.

Just an exemple of what it actually means if all xp is multiplied, even the level 1 starting xp:
Level 5: Minor (not quite 6th level), Major (halfway between 6th and 7th level)
Level 10: Minor (level 11), Major (halfway between level 12 and 13)
Level 15: Minor (close to 17th), Major (3/4th to 19th)
Level 20: Minor (halfway between 22nd and 23rd), Major (25th level).

This is in a flat-xp campaign, and as I said, the difference should actually be lower than that in a campaign where standard xp gain is allowed for reasons mentionned above.

It is fairly non powerful at low level, but the difference in level gets more important as one ranks up.  But then again, this comes at the cost of not having another talent.  Do you allow talents to be bought with DPs in your campaign?  If you do, what is the cost?  If for exemple, you go for a 1 DP: 1 TP ratio, then he might easily buy back what he spent with his extra levels and still have point to spend and then the talent might be unbalanced.  Of course, I'd also argue that a 1 DP = 1 TP ratio is unbalanced in itself =)  If you go with an experience cost rather than a DP cost, then the question is at least in part, how long will your campaign last (and therefore how much extra xp could he spend on talents and remain at the same level as the rest of the party)?

If you don't allow it at all, its unlikely the character will be that much more powerful than those of the other player.  The difference between a level 10 and a level 11 when the level 10 has an extra minor talent to play with seems pretty fair to me.  Even as a caster, at high level, I might prefer to be lvl 20 with Aura(minor) than level 22 without it.  The level 25th will have an edge because he unlocks a fairly powerful spell, but when it comes to arms user, 25th level fighter vs 20th level fighter with a +30 BO talent to compensate, I'm not sure - everything else being equal - the higher level would win.  I would avoid, of course, going with a +100% xp gain bonus.  That might be too much of an edge whether you're playing low or high level.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
  IMHO an all out multiple to Exp is powerful. In my game I would either adjust the amount of points a skill gives per rank, like in the Talents that alter PPD or BD or adjust the DP cost of skills. This would put some limits on it and focus the talent into specific areas and not allow the DP to be spent any where the player wished.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »
Paradoxically this is very similar to the older versions of D&D where additional xp where gained by having specific high attributes... I never really understood that, since higher stats help the character survive longer, thus earn additional xp. But isn't that exactly what rm already does with giving DP for higher stats?.

In this case I might therefore allow it in certain cases where the players create characters using random stats (rather than a 660 point buy) and they are at the lower end of the scale.

The restrictions that you may wish to place are that the character only recieves that bonus on "shared xp" rather than xp that they themselves generate. 

However, I'd probably disagree on its application.

Offline Dreven1

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
Great suggestions all!

I have decided to do a minor talent of 25% exp and a major talent of 50% exp

I am restricting this talent to healing classes only (unless special circumstance and a player can prove to me why they need more exp)

The original character class for this was a healer and I felt it was very beneficial to the group (considering how deadly RM is off the bat!) and felt an exp gain was acceptable.

Thanks again for the posts!!!! It helped a ton!
Drev
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
I found that healers tend to cast-out of PP far more often than other casters. . .who tend to hold onto PP "just in case". . .and saving lives should be worth XP as much as ending them does. . .healers tend to advance levels fast.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:12:03 PM »
(The "Healer" monk could really milk this talent.)

Yeah, with the number of skills and spells Healers normally use, they should advance fast. You don't want to discount their constant use of Diagnostics, First Aid, Surgery, Herb Use/Lore... and spells.

First time for everything.. x5!
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"