Author Topic: Getting a handle on Lifegiving  (Read 996 times)

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Getting a handle on Lifegiving
« on: July 26, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Has anyone made Lifegiving harder to cast, obtain, etc.

I've heard that some GM's make the spell only cast as a Ritual; takes a lot longer than your typical adventure setting. With that, special vestments/robes might be required or it can only be cast in a temple.

I like the Guardians of the Flame version, iirc, it took a year to cast/take effect. But that is pretty strict.

In one of my games our Priest (with the Magical Training TP) recently acquired  Lifegiving. I allowed the TP, because I thought that this wouldn't be as disruptive as say, a more combative List. Silly me..  ::)
The Priest PC is ok with the Ritual & Vestment method. I wanted to ask what others had done.
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Getting a handle on Lifegiving
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »
I usually apply the following restrictions:
- the spell works only on character with the same "alignment" of the deity worshipped by the caster
- the resurrected character comes back to life under an undispellable Quest spell for the deity of the caster. In other words, said character owes that deity his life, and is compelled to pay his debt asap
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »
I tend to do it a couple of ways:
1) Limit the list according to rules in the Chan Comp. This means that not every chann profession can have it.
2) require the spell to be cast in a specific place for the rules given in the book.
3) if cast at another place then there will be mods to the person returning.
4) the god, deity or his agents decide if the person will be given life back. ie if the player is trying to revive a person of the enemy god then there is a very small chance that he will come back, unless he agrees to convert to the god who is allowing him to come back. So that is a little out of the room game play between the GM and the player just like divine intervention interactions.
5) sometimes they spell just will not work and the players will not know why.
6) some people, races cannot be brought back.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline providence13

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
Anyone ever tried the Reincarnation method?
I know that it's Old School, but it might be fun. :)

This particular Priest worships Ehlonna of the Forest (Greyhawk D&D). I might need to get that Druid Reincarn' table ready..
"The Lore spell assaults your senses- Roll on the spontaneous human combustion table; twice!"