Author Topic: GM Inspiration thread - Magic items  (Read 1719 times)

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
GM Inspiration thread - Magic items
« on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
Journeyman's Compass
A matte-black, half inch wide 1/8 inch thick, bracelet that snaps shut without any visible means of opening. The actual mechanism is hidden, easy to find if you have time but it looks solid at first glance. Inset just beneath the surface are 5 jewels of different colours. The jewels are not visible unless they are lit, in which case they can be seen through the surface of the bracelet.

The compass was created as a master work piece by the K’Ta’viiri journeyman spy/alchemist Dyar’hulum in the period just before the civil war. The masters judging his work failed him due to the opening/closing mechanism being mechanical instead of psionic as was the fashion of the time. After the 50 year mandatory waiting period he re-applied and was accepted as a full master for his sextant style compasses.

When the compass is used for safe teleportation 3 planes appear holographically above the item. The planes look like sheets of paper oriented along the X, Y and Z axis respectively. As the user concentrates the planes move to correspond to the location the user wishes to go to. When the actual teleportation occurs a black dot appears at the point where the planes intersect. The dot quickly grows to a large sphere and envelops the caster in a silent explosion as the caster and his targets disappear.

Attunement
(GM needs to decide what rolls are needed to reach the tiers)

[ ] Always
- Jewels inset into the compass will light up in the presence of Essence (Red), Mentalism (Dark blue), Channeling (White/clear), Arcane and Psionics (Purple). A perception may be required to notice depending on circumstances.
[ ] Tier 1
- Allows the user to read texts written in Sylmaria (language of essence flows)
- The user can feel when the jewels light up, even if he can not see them.

[ ]  Tier 2
- See essence flows while concentrating
- X6 PP multiplier for all realms, including psionic.

[ ] Tier 3
- Use as a compass to parry the flows of essence and ensure safe teleportation.
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: GM Inspiration thread - Magic items
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
 I like it.

I also think that if you could provide some info on the tier 3 power it would help non or new SW people understand just what parrying flows of essence is and how powerful an item it is.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
Spellcasters Deck

The deck looks like a set of Tarot cards, 4x2.5”. The back side is blue with a white diagonally squared pattern. The front side of the card looks like regular tarot cards for your culture until the user starts casting a spell. When a spell is cast using the deck, the face side will show an image that relates, in the mind of the caster, to the spell being cast. For example a magician casting a lighting bolt may show a image of a tower being struck by lightning. Or a rat biting a power cable. Or a knight being electrocuted inside his full plate armour. The image makes sense to the caster, not necessarily to anyone else.
Casting a spell using the deck, the caster draws a card, looks at it, if he wishes to he shows it to anyone else (just for effect) and throws it towards the intended target. Mid flight the card disappears and turns into the spell cast, with any visual effects that may have (e.g. A huge ball of fire).

System
- Spells are cast with one less round of preparation.
- A spell that would have been instant without the deck is cast with a 10% action (instead of 20%), and at the casters initiative instead of in the magic phase.
- If the caster shows the card to the targets before throwing it, he gets a +5 to his spell casting roll.
- Cards are not actually lost while casting, it’s more a visual effect than physically throwing something.
- Normally requires two hands to use. Can be used with just one hand with a successful trickery roll. Failed Trickery means losing one round picking up the dropped card (no parry, attacks at +20.). The caster can not cast magic until he has picked up the card. Fumbled trickery means 1d10 rounds to pick up the easy to find cards, then two successful perception rolls to find the two cards that got lost.
- Attunement is trivial (+50), but takes two weeks during which time the caster can not use magic.
- Once attuned, the user can only cast spells using the deck. If he should lose the deck he is unable to use any magic for a six weeks withdrawal period.
- Rolling 66 on any spell casting roll means that the spell has twice the effect, and affects both the caster and the intended target.

History
Created in year 1054, Third era, by Malgonor the Loari blood alchemist. By sacrificing a young mage with the “subconscious preparation” background option, he managed to infuse the ability into a magical item.
"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him."

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »
Journeyman's Compass

[ ] Tier 3
- Use as a compass to parry the flows of essence and ensure safe teleportation.
Allows the user to teleport through Essence flows without disintegrating, and also removes any chance of a lethal teleport. If the destination is occupied the Compass will adjust to make the caster arrives a couple of feet to any side. If there is no safe location, the teleport will just fail (instead of teleporting the user into a stone wall, molten lava or a troll, as could have happened)

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
Payback
Created on commission for the famed Sarnak Adventurer/Amazon Laira. Towards the high point of her career, Laira seemed to fight people that would use magic to deflect, turn away or nullify her attacks. In one case memorable case, even turn her spear into a snake. Having what she described as "A large bucket of money", she ordered the spear Payback from a Loari master alchemist.

System
1/day, when thrown - Dispel any Magical protection at twice the owners level. This includes Armour, Blade Turn and even a magical bonus to DB on armours. A spell is removed, and permanent protection is dispelled for one minute.
If the target has any type of spell that would redirect the spear to another target, and this spell fails the above mentioned RR the redirection spell will instead power the spear, adding +100 to the attack.

Offline TomOBedlam

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
Bladestorm shuriken
Created for Changramai monks working in environments where there was a risk of the client being used as a hostage.

System
(Fumble 01)
When thrown at a target it will hit everyone within a 10' radius except the original target who will be completely unhurt (although likely very nervous). It attacks as a shuriken, with a -10 to OB for each target after the first within the radius.
So throwing the shuriken at a kidnap victim held by 5 ruffians would result at a shuriken attack with -40 OB to each of the ruffians.
On a 66 the shuriken hits the target you were trying to protect instead.
On a fumble the shuriken travels 3x1d100 feet and ends up where you look at last.
Any bladturn style (Aim Untrue and so forth) spell will affect all attacks, making it vulnerable to multiple spells of that kind.