Author Topic: Custom Training Packages  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Custom Training Packages
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:27 PM »
What's the process for creating them or modifying them?

EDIT: If there's a book for this, point it out and I'll happily go pick it up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 11:43:24 PM by Jachra »

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Custom Training Packages
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Not sure there is one. Me I make my own, figure up the costs and then times that by .8 or have the cost at 80%. It seems to put them on par with the ones in the book and works well for me.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
 I think the official rule is .75 on the RMSS side and that should hold for SM:P. There also is a document in the vault I think that talks about figuring out TP costs as well as one that has redone all the TP costs for RMSS.
 I have fugded the TP system for SM:P by using the TP generator in the vault.

Some points to watch out for: [ Player Rule 0: Ask you GM how things are done and if you can?]
1) The TP system does not deal with equipment-at all. The equipment side of things has in general has been a sore point for many people and some GM's just leave it off character creation. So ask your GM how he plays his game.
2) I do not remember if they included stat gain rolls or not in the system to create your own TP. But the number 8 sticks in my mind so maybe that is the DP cost of 1 stat roll. Also I think that there are no more than 2 stat gain rolls possible for a TP.
3) I also think that there was no hard and fast rules for the time it took to learn a TP. This was also a problem I think some people had and would have liked some good solid rules to help them out with it. [Some people used rules for training with teachers from a number of RM2 and RMSS books.]
4) Be sure to stick with the 1 lifestyle TP per PC. I also do not remember if there was a solid rule for determining if a TP was life style or not. But it might have been if the TP gave a stat gain roll or not.
5) Also there are some rules for taking a TP more than once and I would use them in SM:P. Note in Future Law I think there are TP in which you have to take the TP more than once and each time you take it the PC gaines a new title.
6) IMo, TP's are much more important in SM:P then in RMSS as they define the past experience of a PC and not just a skill group at a discount.

MDC
 BTW, what are you thinking of modifying?
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
First of all, get that document.  I used it, back in the day.

1)  No rules for equipment.
2)  Stat gain is included.  I think it's 10.
3)  No rules for time.
4)  A TP should be roughly in the 20 point range for the profession it's best suited for.  If you go over, drop stuff.  Whenever I was in the high 20s, I'd make it a lifestyle.
5)  Yep.
6)  Yep.  I used them as proof of whether you had resume-quality authority to perform a job (diplomas, licenses, etc).
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Jachra

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:12:52 PM »
Thanks, this helped a lot.

(Adjusting for a hard-sci campaign, essentially.)