Author Topic: SM2 Repair Chart  (Read 595 times)

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SM2 Repair Chart
« on: August 28, 2023, 05:28:45 PM »
Are there any modifiers when rolling on the repair chart other than adding in your skill? I could not find any so it would seem to me that you are pretty much guaranteed to repair an item, just varies how long and how much it may cost, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SM2 Repair Chart
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 07:35:16 PM »
13.4 in SM2 tech book indicates that you can impose a modifier from the Static Action Chart in the player book.

6.51 in SM1 Repair Damage/Malfunction Chart has notes which indicate that you double the time if only one person is working the repair, and double the time if no repair scanner or diagnostic computer is used. There is mention that the cost-in-parts must be invested to bring about the repair.

But I don't see any other modifiers. I glanced at Privateers but did not see anything else.

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 08:39:01 PM »
I would think that the DM should apply a difficulty modifier based on the repair well difficulty and other factors like available tools / environmental factors / # of affected systems  etc.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 09:21:26 PM »
What if you don’t have a valve spring? You would have to fashion a replacement with something unconventional.

https://youtu.be/_CPWRoKHlBs?si=qdAzoEk_fAAp_qgh

Offline Grimsouled

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 07:41:25 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
I was using my phone for the earlier post and don't' think I made myself clear. What I was trying to say that when something needs repairing, you may not have the correct part and it may not can be found due to circumstances beyond your control. I don't think just paying for the repairs is enough. I think you should have to jury-rig or fashion something to use as a substitute until you can get to a proper facility. So the part would have to be made before you can begin repairs. Because just looking at the repair chart it just make it seems like all you need is time and some cash and BAM; its repaired. I'm not sure things work out that way in RL.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 11:23:50 AM »
By the time Spacemaster takes place, you should be able to print out parts as needed. So, the limit would be raw material.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 12:49:42 PM »
Very good point! And you also made the case for having a backup 3D Printer on every vessel. :)