Forum > Spacemaster

The Serenity

(1/3) > >>

EltonJ:
As a open hypothetical question: how would you build the Serenity from Firefly?

Hansuke:
Wikipedia records the dimensions as, "According to the blueprints, Serenity was laid down in August 2459. The ship is 269 feet (82 m) long bow to stern, with a 170 feet (52 m) beam, and stands 79 feet (24 m) high when landed."

I normally use Felix's old software to construct ships but I don't have it available at the moment so this is a rough take. If we go by those dimensions and not what we perceive by watching the show, then I think the Serenity is basically a cylinder, not counting the port and starboard engine protrusions. I took the radius to be half of the 24m when landed as the radius. I then took the height as the 82m length from bow to stern. Using formulas on the internet, I came up with 37,095.93 cubic meters or cumets. Looking at the Mass Table in Star Strike, it looks like this method shows a Heavy Freighter. I never thought of the Serenity as a Heavy Freighter, so I don't know if we should use the literal method for the ship. I haven't gone any further, since I need to think about it some more. I can't remember how much cargo tonnage the Serenity held on the show, but I don't remember the cargo hold being that big.

Good topic though. I like to think about these types of things.

Hansuke:
Using Privateers might be more interesting. We just have to agree on Tech Levels and whether or not the Serenity had FTL drives. I don't think it does, based on what I remember from the TV show. But I have seen other opinions. I always believed all the planets were in the same star system; most likely most being moons of several gas giants. But my wife says I just make up stuff, so who's to say.

It's a toss up for me for either TL 18 Spacefaring Age or TL 19 Starfaring Age. I am leaning to TL 18 because I don't think humanity has sent out slow ships to other star systems.

Hansuke:
I was just looking at my Star Strike Vessel Compendium to see if there was anything close to the Serenity. The closest I found was in Compendium #3; the Arcane Moriia. It has a 30,000 ton mass and a cargo hold of 50,000 cumets. That ship needs 30 crew members, which is way above what the Serenity has. It also has a 800 ton shuttle/vehicle bay. It is on page 26, if you have that book.

Cory Magel:

--- Quote from: Hansuke on March 21, 2023, 03:11:17 PM ---I normally use Felix's old software to construct ships
--- End quote ---
What is this?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version