Author Topic: SpaceMaster: Privateers Hombrewed Setting  (Read 1205 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
SpaceMaster: Privateers Hombrewed Setting
« on: September 21, 2022, 04:26:18 PM »
I got the pdf just recently. I haven't read through it yet, but I think I have GURPS: Space 4th edition (I also have GURPS: Space 3rd edition). So I can work on my own SpaceMaster setting. :)

So . . . it's going to take me a while to come up with something. But it should be spectacular.  8)

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: SpaceMaster: Privateers Hombrewed Setting
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 10:49:37 PM »
Well, make sure to keep us updated. I, for one, love to hear about what others do in their games.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2022, 07:49:20 PM »
Well, make sure to keep us updated. I, for one, love to hear about what others do in their games.

No problem. I plan on getting Tech Law this weekend, after I'm paid.  I have two of the books in hard copy, I just need Tech Law: Vehicle Manual in hard copy too.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
Okay, I talked this over with a friend of mine, so he convinced me that I ought to use Time Travel as the FTL of choice.

Why you ask?

Well, I was originally going to go with a jump drive.  Works the same way as a time machine (in principle).  However, since time travel is the most efficient way sentient beings can get around this universe, it only makes sense to use a time machine.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 12:38:41 PM »
Okay, I talked this over with a friend of mine, so he convinced me that I ought to use Time Travel as the FTL of choice.

Why you ask?

Well, I was originally going to go with a jump drive.  Works the same way as a time machine (in principle).  However, since time travel is the most efficient way sentient beings can get around this universe, it only makes sense to use a time machine.
It's your choice, but... have you considered the consequences ? If time travel exists and is widespread enough that it can be used industrially (for spaceships), then it means that many people can go back in time and rewrite history. In the best-case scenario, you play a gonzo sci-fi version of Valerian or Feng Shui, with character waking up in a completely different universe just because someone, somewhere, has altered the timeline somewhen.

I'd rather use... I don't know, planar shifting. Or instantaneous creation of a quantum-entangled clone at the destination point. Or consciousness transfer in a host body... but having to consider the myriad headaches of backwards time travel ? I have enough trouble keeping my setting in one piece as it is :D

More seriously, FTL travel explanation is best left as a consequence of Clarke's third law.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 12:41:07 PM »

Why you ask?

It's your choice, but... have you considered the consequences ? If time travel exists and is widespread enough that it can be used industrially (for spaceships), then it means that many people can go back in time and rewrite history. In the best-case scenario, you play a gonzo sci-fi version of Valerian or Feng Shui, with character waking up in a completely different universe just because someone, somewhere, has altered the timeline somewhen.

I'd rather use... I don't know, planar shifting. Or instantaneous creation of a quantum-entangled clone at the destination point. Or consciousness transfer in a host body... but having to consider the myriad headaches of backwards time travel ? I have enough trouble keeping my setting in one piece as it is :D

More seriously, FTL travel explanation is best left as a consequence of Clarke's third law.

I get where you coming from.  Hence the work we did for the Montauk Project is still classified.

Online rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 04:25:22 PM »
Since any FTL drive is a time machine in a relativistic universe (and the evidence that Einstein is generally right is overwhelming), time travel isn't a method of FTL travel, it's just a consequence of it when you actually science that part of the fiction.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2022, 06:00:15 PM »
Since any FTL drive is a time machine in a relativistic universe (and the evidence that Einstein is generally right is overwhelming), time travel isn't a method of FTL travel, it's just a consequence of it when you actually science that part of the fiction.

Actually, we sent some troops to Betelgeuse prime using our time machine.  The inhabitants of Betelgeuse prime didn't like that.  So, to prevent a large scale invasion by us, they're coming here: both by use of a Time Machine and the old fashioned way.  You can expect a full scale invasion of our planet in 2060 AD.

The inhabitants of Betelgeuse prime are western dragons.  They come in four different colors: Red, Blue, Green, and Gold.  And they all like to eat you, roasted and with lots of ketchup.