Author Topic: Hand-on-mouth attack: what skill would you use?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hand-on-mouth attack: what skill would you use?
« on: August 13, 2022, 04:55:51 PM »
The grab-from-behind, hand over mouth attack is pretty standard/common in movies, books, etc. Add a rag with chloroform and it's more effective. What skill would you use for this, in RM? I can see a case for subdual or grappling. Others?
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Hand-on-mouth attack: what skill would you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 05:13:48 PM »
It's based off of what your GM would rule.

Grappling might work because your grabbing your target from behind.  But subdual can also work because your looking to cause your target to lose consciousness.  Ambush might also work, too.

Offline Jengada

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »
I'm the GM, so I thought I'd ask before it hits during play. I think the prerequisites are similar to subdual or ambush, the target can't know you're there (or suspect there's an attack coming) and it's harder if the target is in melee.
One attraction of using subdual is that it's a yes-no answer. You succeeded, or you didn't. The downside is the idea that you'd need to train in "subdual: empty-handed" and it may prove to be a very rare skill to use.
With grapple, what result do you consider successful enough to say "you have your hand over their mouth"? Any crit? Any crit that gives a penalty? Any crit that stuns? Grapple seems a plausible skill but it brings more questions. It does, however, mean the character has a skill with benefits beyond just the hand-on-mouth option.

It's based off of what your GM would rule.

Grappling might work because your grabbing your target from behind.  But subdual can also work because your looking to cause your target to lose consciousness.  Ambush might also work, too.
We ask the hard questions here, because they keep us too busy to worry about the hard questions in the real world, and we can go with the answers we like the best.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 08:10:43 PM »
I'd likely be inclined to simply use the moving maneuver table and apply a surprise bonus if appropriate (assuming the character doesn't already have a Grappling, Brawling, or Marital Arts skill leveled up).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 12:10:18 PM »
You're either using some form of unarmed combat to subdue them (use appropriate unarmed combat skill), killing them with a knife (use appropriate armed combat skill), or else applying chloroform, which would use whatever poison use skill is in the version of RM you are using. As for the hand over the mouth, that's just to keep them from crying out (unless chloroforming them, where it also does chemical delivery), which is covered by Silent Attack skill (folded into Ambush in RMU). You will, of course, need to sneak up undetected first.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Spectre771

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 04:23:20 PM »
I would go with Subduing as it's a skill in RM2 if that's the flavor you're playing.  Grappling is less subdual and more outright wrestling which would be very noisy.  Suduing calls up images exactly as you described; hand over mouth, quiet take down, controlling the target.
If discretion is the better valor and
cowardice the better part of judgment,
let's all be heroes and run away!

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 05:09:06 PM »
I would go with Subduing as it's a skill in RM2 if that's the flavor you're playing.  Grappling is less subdual and more outright wrestling which would be very noisy.  Suduing calls up images exactly as you described; hand over mouth, quiet take down, controlling the target.

Same here. Grappling conjures up an entirely different situation.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 02:26:21 AM »
If you have the old RM2 books, it was called ‘Silent Kill’.
You can then extrapolate from its description.

Otherwise, as above suggestions(Subduing).