Forum > General Discussion

How many player characters in your typical group ?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Hurin:
Almost always either four or five. Five is good because it is less likely a single bad roll will cause a TPK. Four gives a bit more time in the spotlight to each player, and is certainly playable, but makes the party a bit more vulnerable to swings of the dice.

MisterK:
I've started with five, but my standard group size for about ten years now has been four (as a GM, and most of the time as a player as well). We typically don't play combat-heavy games, so having combat redundancy is less important than having information gathering and utilities. The general idea is also that most combat situations are won (or lost) before they even begin: if you don't have a good enough situational advantage, you'd better take a hard look at what you're doing... or bring friends if you can.

Ecthelion:
I prefer to have four or five PCs in the group, but for a long time we've also played with three.

Spectre771:
Our players have only one PC they play in a session.  Extremely rarely, I'll ask a player to use an NPC character sheet of mine to help with the situation if that player's PC is not in the scene at all.  It makes the NPC more relatable and fleshed out rather than me trying to do voices and mannerisms for every NPC.  It keeps the non-present player involved in the scene rather than having him just sit there until the scene plays out.

For RM, if I'm GMing, I prefer 1-3 players.  3-4 players if they are veteran gamers.  If they are veteran RM players, I can go 5-6.  Our annual all-weekend game is 6 players, but they are all RM veterans so it's much easier.  They can even lend a hand with some combat scenes if their PCs aren't involved.  It flows pretty well.

Cory Magel:
I personally prefer the five as this tends to leave the party with three melee oriented, or at least capable, characters.
We tend to be combat heavy and having that 'front line' to keep the other two out of melee is a tactical advantage most the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version