Forum > General Discussion

How many player characters in your typical group ?

<< < (6/6)

EltonJ:

--- Quote from: jdale on April 03, 2022, 06:49:18 PM ---Some of my players are like that, in one of my two campaigns. But fortunately not all of them. It wouldn't be very satisfying to GM for a group all like that.

--- End quote ---
Yeah, I know. Roleplaying games attract the intelligent, creative person.  I remember creating my first Rolemaster character.  My cousin introduced me to the rules and I ended up creating a magician.  With Strategy as a skill.  I was creating a leader.  That was before I realized that Rolemaster was very lethal.

If I play Rolemaster now with anyone, I think I'll play a mentalist.  I want to stay out of combat.  As a RM GM, I want to focus on roleplaying over combat.  Of course some situations turn ugly and you have to raise that sword, or fist, or spell. But one thing I learned, is that with Rolemaster, adventuring is dangerous.  It can be dangerous under other games (I'm running Shadowrun now), but it takes a foolhardy character to go adventuring for fame and fortune in the first place.

Vladimir:

--- Quote ---Sounds like you have thick players.
--- End quote ---
   Yes and no. My players are masters at what interests them. They tend to know the rules better than I do and have their own goals when gaming, which is fine with me. If they want to forego roleplay and just advance from one fight to another, I'm fine with that -I don't have to design a complicated detective story that they have no interest in, and I have a couple of handy programs that I use to design their disposable opponents.

A couple of our players would be considered mentally retarded. One, Gary, went with some members of our group to Historicon, a war gaming convention, and in all of the tabletop games in which he participated he handily crushed his opponents. That might say something about the gamers who attend Historicon but I've noticed a lack of skill with a lot of gamers outside of my group. When I've played scenarios and had to choose players for my team, I'd pick Gary because he has a solid grasp of basic tactics. After giving Gary simple instructions, I could let him play without supervision, while other players who would think too much needed more direction. Gary barely graduated from High School but I could trust his tactical sense.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version