Author Topic: Strategy for Shadow World with RMU rules ?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Crivens

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Strategy for Shadow World with RMU rules ?
« on: October 12, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
Hi guys

I am currently working on Shadow World to prepare a campain and I seriously considers using RMU.
I really like what have be done regarding the rules, and I am eager to test all this with my players :)

But I will need to:
- convert the races,
- create the adolescent background,
- adapt the NPC stats.

So my question: What is the ICE strategy regarding this ?
Do you plan do edit specific supplements ?, for example:
- "RMU: races & cultures of the Shadow World"
- "RMU: races & cultures of Emer", (and Jaiman and so on...)
- "RMU: Shadow World Gods and supernatural entities"

What if members of this community worked together to propose stats, culture and NPC adaptation for SW?
Would it be acceptable for ICE and you Terry ? (it can be complicated in term of IP).
Personally I would contribute for free, my selfish interest being having these informations ready ASAP.

Whatever happens I will work on it on my own (I will at least do the job for my players races and cultures) but why not contribute to a bigger project?

See ya !
Need to find a good signature...

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Strategy for Shadow World with RMU rules ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
The intention is to put out a conversion guide but I don't know if there is someone to write it yet.

As a non-official answer, I would think discussion on this forum about conversion would be fair play. I can help out with the RMU rules side but I don't know Shadow World.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
In prepping for my own RMU campaign in Shadow World, I have started converting some of the races. So if you are interested in some homebrew until anything official comes out, Crivens, let me know and I can send you my file. 
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Crivens

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
In prepping for my own RMU campaign in Shadow World, I have started converting some of the races. So if you are interested in some homebrew until anything official comes out, Crivens, let me know and I can send you my file.
I am, that would be very nice Hurin

The intention is to put out a conversion guide but I don't know if there is someone to write it yet.

As a non-official answer, I would think discussion on this forum about conversion would be fair play. I can help out with the RMU rules side but I don't know Shadow World.
Thanks, Jdale I appreciate this non-official answer.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
On that note, it's also ok to submit these kinds of things to the Vault. If you are putting together material that bigger or better-formatted than message board posts allow, that can be a good option.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 11:56:16 PM »
Thanks JDale. I will post my file here for now, since it's not complete yet. So far I have done the following races:

Duranaki
Dyari
Hirazi
Talath
Umli
Ktaari
Vorloi
Shuluri

In doing my homebrew versions, I sometimes deviate a bit from the stat array given in the Master Atlas 4 for these races. The Master Atlas 4 does give RMU-style stat bonuses (i.e. stat bonuses meant to be added together as opposed to the stat bonuses from RM2 which were meant to be averaged), but I felt the Master Atlas 4 took some liberties with some of the stats -- they did not simply convert them. Furthermore, RMU seems to want to balance and tone down some of the more excessive bonuses, rarely giving bonuses above +4, whereas the Master Atlas seems less concerned with balance (and the same could be said of the RM2 version of the Atlas too). So in order to balance the stat bonuses, I had to tone down some of the more excessive ones.

A perfect example of this is the Shuluri. Their stats were quite good, and they also had several racial talents, all of which adds up to a lot of development points -- more really than they should have according to RMU's balancing rules. So I had to adjust some of their stats.

Here's my calculus of the different costs of the stats and the talents, so you can see how I built and assessed these races so far:

Duranaki
-28 for +7 stats
-10 for Nightvision
12 extra DP

Dyari
-16 DP for +4 stats
+3 DP for -5 RR
-5 for +10 Endurance
+3 DP for -5 base hits
+10 DP for slow healer
-1 for +1 stride
-10 for Efficient Sleeper II
-10 for Immune to Disease I
-10 for Nightvision
14 extra DP

Hirazi
-12 for +3 stats
15 for -25 RRs
5 for -10 Endurance
3 for -5 Base Hits
4 for -4 stride
-30 DP for Wings, Flying II
-10 DP Wings, Folding
15 DP for Light Boned I (size -1)
-20 DP Sight, Hawk (+30)
30 extra DP
[Didn’t use because I wasn't sure if these were racial traits:
-25 Attack: Swoop
-25 DP for Invisibility Sense]

Talath
-24 DP for total +6 stats
-12 DP for +20 RR
-3 DP for +5 Base Hits
-2 DP for +2 Stride
9 extra DP

Umli
-36 for +9 stats
-5 for +10 Endurance
-3 for +5 base hits
2 for -2 stride
-8 for Cold Resistance II (elemental resistance II)
0 extra DP

Half Elves
Kytaari
-28 for +7 stats
-6 for +10 RR
-5 for +10 Endurance
10 DP for slow healer
-1 for +1 stride
-5 for Efficient Sleeper I
-10 for Nightvision
5 extra DP

Vorloi
-24 for +6 stats
-3 for +5 RR
-3 for +5 Endurance
3 for -5 Base Hits
10 DP for slow healer
-5 for Efficient Sleeper I
-10 for Nightvision
-8 for Cold Resistance I
-8 for Heat Resistance I
2 extra DP

Elves

Shuluri
-8 DP for +2 stats
6 for -10 RR
-3 for +5 Endurance
3 for -5 Base Hits
10 DP for slow healer
-10 for Nightvision
-?10? for ?Form Gills?
-10 for Swimming II
-5 for Third Eyelid
3 extra DP
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 12:26:05 AM »
In doing my homebrew versions, I sometimes deviate a bit from the stat array given in the Master Atlas 4 for these races. The Master Atlas 4 does give RMU-style stat bonuses (i.e. stat bonuses meant to be added together as opposed to the stat bonuses from RM2 which were meant to be averaged), but I felt the Master Atlas 4 took some liberties with some of the stats -- they did not simply convert them. Furthermore, RMU seems to want to balance and tone down some of the more excessive bonuses, rarely giving bonuses above +4, whereas the Master Atlas seems less concerned with balance (and the same could be said of the RM2 version of the Atlas too). So in order to balance the stat bonuses, I had to tone down some of the more excessive ones.

It's typical in the Creature Law stats that there is a set of racial talents but then additional talents developed over multiple levels as well. They aren't "racial" but just representative of what an average individual might learn.

Shuluri
-?10? for ?Form Gills?
-10 for Swimming II

"Air and Water Breathing" is 20 DP. There's a Gills talent for 0 but that lets you breathe water only, not air.

Swimming II is 10 DP for a BMR of 20'/rnd, maneuver bonus of +5, and a max pace of Jog. I don't remember whether there are changes in these relative to the beta.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
Thanks JDale! I will make those adjustments.

Is there any way to tell between talents that are racial and those that have been acquired through levelling? Just wondering as I move towards doing other races as well.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
Nope, there is not. So just try to make a sensible choice given the number of DP to work with.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 01:08:43 PM »
Nope, there is not. So just try to make a sensible choice given the number of DP to work with.

Ok, thanks vm. I ran into that problem with the Hirazi especially, but just eyeballed it.

If Air and Water Breathing is 20 DP, then my Shuluri are still underwater so to speak in terms of DP. I toned down their stat bonuses to gain back some DPs, but their talents are so numerous and costly that they still end up owing more than 50 DP -- 57 to be exact:

-8 DP for +2 stats
6 for -10 RR
-3 for +5 Endurance
3 for -5 Base Hits
10 DP for slow healer
-10 for Nightvision
-20 for Air and Water Breathing
-10 for Swimming II
-5 for Third Eyelid

So I think I have to remove one more point of Con (total -2, like Fair Elves) and Agility (total +1, between Fair Elves and Wood Elves). Together that gives me a total cost of 49 DP, and 1 remaining DP total for the race.

Offline Crivens

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »
Thanks Hurin
It seems to work nicely, I have imported these stats in my Excel system and I obtain the same results (=the same remaining DP).
I now have to go throught all the talents & flaws in the Creature Law...argggg

See you

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 12:22:31 PM »
Ok, good to know my basic math skills have not deteriorated  ;D

I do plan on finishing the rest of the races sometime, but it won't be for a little while (just too busy right now).

Cheers

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 01:12:05 PM »

I'll just warn you we made considerable changes there since the beta, consolidating talents and flaws, and adjusting costs.

Offline Crivens

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 01:55:38 PM »

I'll just warn you we made considerable changes there since the beta, consolidating talents and flaws, and adjusting costs.

I am afraid about it, but that is life. I will adapte.