Author Topic: Musing on the highly quirky nature of Kulthean technology  (Read 4260 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Musing on the highly quirky nature of Kulthean technology
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »
 I do not know the rules as written but the GM who taught me RM2 would never allow you to just study and not expend DP to learn a spell list, in RMSS when I GM also require you to learn a spell list by expending DP and have a teacher at specific points (ie ranks 1-10 you can learn then after rank 10 you need a teacher to be able to learn ranks 11-20).
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 02:03:42 PM »
My 7th level human fighter (RMSS) had Anticipations and Cloaking spell lists (both Mentalism Open) to 2nd rank. With Anticipate Missile (1st level, instantaneous spell) he got a +50 DB vs ranged attacks (not spells, that come from the 4th level spell on the same list, Anticipations) for using a 10% action, translating to a -10 to other actions, like say attacking. The second level spell allows him to do the same for melee attacks. With the Cloaking list, the first level spell is Blur (instantaneous) that causes all attacks to have a -10 for 1 minute/level. The 2nd level spell is Shadow which grants a +25 to +75 bonus to Hiding. How many skill & category ranks would it take to get those bonuses? I think the DP cost is well worth it. Using those 2 spell lists alone, I made my fantasy Batman, a fighter who could sneak real well and was pretty dang hard to hit. (We also used Talents & Flaws from Character Law, so he had some of those that helped out too.)

Any fighter who would like to have a better chance with resisting magic should get some ranks in Spell Wall (Open Essence); I would say up to at least level 5 for a +10 bonus for 1 minute/level.

As for the farmer, just getting 2 ranks in Weather Ways (Open Channeling) would help out immensely as being able to accurately determine if it is going to rain* in the next day is worth spending the DPs (once) and 2 PP/day (during the times of season they need to know). Plus, getting Purifications to 4th level means they can keep their livestock healthier than otherwise, so less loss to disease, and less chance of spreading it to other animals. As farming is a family affair, I would assume they would develop traditions in who the different spells/lists would be "handed" down to - which could be some pretty-cool world and/or character background flavor.

I will say this: my greatest experience in RM is with RMSS/FRP, I only played a little RM2 back in the day. I do believe that in RM 2 it is more of a risk to try and learn spells because there is the chance that you don't get the rank on the first try. (Right, that is a thing with RM2?) Of course, even then we never did that; if you earned the XP to go up in level and you spent the DP on the skill, you got it, even with spells. In RMSS it is not a thing (unless it is one of those rules that is hidden deep within the bowels of the rulebook that I have never found - entirely possible). Heck, in RMSS/FRP an Urban man starts with 2 ranks in a spell list (Open, Own Realm). Bamn! Right off the bat at 1st level, any pure-arms user could have access to 2 spells if they only spend DP to get 1 rank in Power Point Development. High elves get 4 ranks!

*Modern construction crews would love this spell, it could tell them if they should concentrate on indoor projects or outdoor ones before the day before. I think my brother-in-law would love to have that spell.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe has some interesting examples of just how much even low level magic can do to change things. And, if there is a 20th level spellcaster, there are bound to be a lot more low level ones.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 04:24:17 AM »
For those of you who know RM and HARP, what do you think of the HARP cantrips? I like them personally, and think they would work well in SW, just not sure how to integrate them.
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 04:39:38 AM »
I'm only familiar with the AD&D ones, and I read an article in White Dwarf that suggested Gary Gygax went about creating them the wrong way. The author was using the Vancian magic system to suggest that magic users would have access to lots of trivial, but possibly useful (or at least showy), magics to do minor things that would enhance the wizard, but that they shouldn't have been codified into official spells. I think the idea was that a wizard would basically be able to do a lot, maybe unlimited, of really low level things that wouldn't need codifying into spells as such.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
For those of you who know RM and HARP, what do you think of the HARP cantrips? I like them personally, and think they would work well in SW, just not sure how to integrate them.

What I do is put them into 3 different schools (one for each ESS, MEN, CHA) then list them as Training Package Spell List. I give them a cost of 2 spells for every DP in the list. I substitute these for the Magiecian's Apprentice list spells. Players like this and it adds meaningful spells at low levels for characters without list restrictions.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe has some interesting examples of just how much even low level magic can do to change things. And, if there is a 20th level spellcaster, there are bound to be a lot more low level ones.
Yeah, this one is always mentioned when this topic comes up. I really need to sit down and read it.... just not a fan of reading off the computer, I suppose.

I haven't really delved into the HARP cantrips very much, but the little I did see (they were in the College of Magics, right?) seem kind of neat.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 02:29:40 PM »
just not a fan of reading off the computer, I suppose.

Me neither - that's why I got an ebook reader and then a tablet. Not quite the same as a book, but much better than trying to read off a desktop or laptop screen.

Offline metallion

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Winterdream Online
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 11:03:00 PM »
Yes, in RMSS if I play a rogue or warrior monk, then I generally plan on buying a spell list or two at some point down the line.
MDC

And I don;t know RMSS, but I think that in RM2 you can literally study for a given number of weeks of game-time (not expending points) and try to learn a list. Correct? (It has been awhile).

I believe that's one of the optional rules in the one of the Companions, but under RM2 that study would give the student a 5% chance to learn the list at that level.