the show goes on  ;)

.......a long time french fan .....

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Xa-ar
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2008, 11:39:11 PM »
Just completed my first read-through of the book.  Initial Reaction:   :o

That sure is a LOT of information to absorb and process!

Dislikes:

1)  I can't say that I'm very thrilled by the appearance of
(click to show/hide)
in the module however.  (In the form of a brick of compressed herbs, I believe.) There's too much technology in this campaign world the way it is.  (Dutch whips out "Old Fart Lifetime Membership" card)

2) 
(click to show/hide)
  I really don't think an unguided group of PC's should be able to access power of this magnitude.  It's like letting your kids play with a loaded TEK-9....sooner or later, something extremely bad is going to happen.

1)  Sixteen adventures! OMG!!!  ;D

2)  A use for some of the long-neglected "Grand Campaign" material.

3)  More obscure information about hidden facets of SW Lore.  (Always welcome)

4)  Some fleshing out of the SW Timeline to include events in NW Jaiman.

5)  An update to the information presented in "Land of the Silver Mist".  (Which ties everything together MUCH better than the document I loaded onto the vault prior to reading TKA's work.)
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2008, 07:07:41 AM »
Hi Dutch, thanks for your comments! I'd like to try to address your two main concerns if I could...

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Thanks again!

Terry
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline kmanktelow

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2008, 06:22:50 PM »
Hi, Terry, et al,

Could the power inherent in the "Isle of Lost Magic" really take out Lorgalis/Ulor? Don't forget that there's a major power inherent in the very Isle of Ulor itself, in the form of the crystal shard.

I would imagine that it would take something absolutely cataclysmic to take the crystal out. Something in the order of the Chicxulub Event would be required to actually destroy Ulor and the Crystal shard. (Don't forget that there have been seriously major Flow Storms before- and they haven't destroyed the powers of the Crystal.)

In fact, I could envisage that type of power release being targeted at Ulor actually increasing the power of the Crystal...

OK, that might not be good for the island, or who ever is on it at the time that that the weapon is used, but it would actually increase the Unlife's power in the region.

Whoops!  :o

Additionally, as Terry points out, you are looking at a full campaign to figure out how to control the 'weapon'- and then the characters still have to decide what is actually the best target- and then they have to decide whether it is morally right to utilise it.

Think about the Allies agonising over using the A-Bomb in World War II...

Personally, I would hope that no GMs' Players, except in total ignorance, would even consider using it, except in a 'Wars of Dominion II' scenario. (And, hopefully, the GM could dissuade them from such an action- even if it meant using a dues ex machina scenario with one or more, of the Lords of Orhan trying to stop them.)

Unfortunately, I well remember some of my Players....
Stick a "Do Not Press" sign on the button marked "End of the Universe"- and they would have pressed it before the paint had, had time to dry... ???

But, for my money the Xa-ar book is absolutely superb- thank you so much Terry! :)

All the Best,

Kevin.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2008, 09:47:25 AM »
Hah hah, I am reminded of the classic Ren and Stimpy episode with the red button on the spaceship. "The shiny, candy-like red button. Don't touchit!!! you Eeeeediot!!!"   :D

Some weapons are not meant to be used. Though remember the Isle has lesser weather powers that could actually be beneficial. And no I don;t think even it could permanently unpower the crystal shard (that effect might be unpredictable), but it could temporarily nuke Ess?nce power in the region temporarily
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2008, 07:55:35 AM »
Just a gentle reminder for those of you who bought Xa-ar... if you are so inclined, please take a moment to post a review--it doesn't have to be long, nor do I expect it to necessarily be 100% positive, in fact I'd enjoy more (constructive) criticism. I think others are more inclined to buy after reading reviews.

The ICE/GC location is: http://guild.ironcrown.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=120&products_id=503

And RPG now is: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=56438&src=FrontPage

Drive-thru is: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=56438

Noting wrong with posting at all locations as far as I know.

Thanks!
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
Hey Terry,

I enjoyed reading the Xa-ar book. Still digesting.

One quick question: Dragon Horn sword, significant? Page 94, 11. Column.

Thanks again
I'm told it's my duty to fight against the law
That wizardry's my trade and I was born to wade through gore
I just want to be a lover, not a red-eyed screaming ghoul
I wish it'd picked another to be it's killing tool

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »
I've read the background, timeline, powers, NPCs... and I'm about to start reading the adventures. This week end I should start a new campaign with my players in Xa-ar. However I think I'll have to change a few things in the adventures, because my players are all level 17 already ;)
I love the Xa-ar setting, with the towns occupied by Quaidu, the blue forest and the remnants of the elven realms, the story about the "blue dragon"... a lot of nice things to use in my future campaign.
Thanks Terry for this :)
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2008, 12:18:21 AM »
One quick question: Dragon Horn sword, significant? Page 94, 11. Column.

... sigh... read the book all at one time... figured it out...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2008, 07:12:26 AM »
I've finally read through the book in its entirety.  Fantastic work.  For anyone out there looking for a place to start in SW, Xa-ar could be it......secret organizations, lost treasures, detailed foes.....and just fdar enough away from Rahkahnen  ;)
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »
Thank you, Witch King! Feel free to write a review at the GC sales area... which means more people buy, I am happier, and I write faster  ;-)

It's that simple, no bundled bad securities!

Terry
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Koraq

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »
*mumble* dead tree edition *mumble*

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2008, 06:36:12 AM »
I printed it myself at home, leaving out the index & fluff.  120 Pages from your home printer will save you $10 (or more) and the shipping......

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2008, 09:29:49 AM »
I printed it myself at home, leaving out the index & fluff.  120 Pages from your home printer will save you $10 (or more) and the shipping......

The problem I have with PDF's is that regular printer paper is really pretty crappy quality.  The paper tears too easily.  I usually use good quality presentation paper but that's a lot more expensive and if you have maps you want printed in color you lose a lot of the cost benefit of buying something as a PDF (and you still have to bind it somehow).  For small PDF's it's not a big deal but for larger works I've really cooled off on PDF's.

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »
Good quality printing is expensive.   Inkjets can cost upwards of $0.20 per page.    I looked into getting Xa-ar printed at Staples: $60.   Luckily I have access to a duplex color laser printer, which is far more economical, and got it spiral bound at Staples for $2.

Hopefully ICE will get their POD service running soon, even with my laser printer they could do it much cheaper and probably better quality.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:22 PM »
I will be pressing Bruce concerning print copies of Guild Companion Publications but there are practical issues involved in print-on-demand for us.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
I'm going to throw this out there.

I went to staples and for $8.00, got them to print the entire thing out make holes and I bought a dull grey binder. I have a business account so I pay a bit less. I think the average print off is between $0.03 to $0.06. At $0.05, the cost is about $7.00 before any tax or binder. The colour pages my be up to $0.20 each. Even then 11 pages is under $3.

Now, granted a new binder can cost anything from $1 to $20. I got the $3.

I think most Universities and Colleges provide a like service for cheaper(?). I haven't been in school in a while.

The best option may be to buy the PDF on a friends machine, copy to a cd, jump drive or SD chip and head over to the local Staples, UPS store or School and see what they say. 

I think it cost me just over 25 to do the entire thing. If I run into a problem with a page or two, I can print off a replacement from my home printer, that way I only burn a bit of ink. The pages that I know will get heavy usage get reinforcements. I do it in game so it doesn't take long, usually I just pass it off to one of my players while I do something else with another player.

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2008, 06:46:45 AM »
$15 for the book, $10 to print it, still make $25 for a book.  As mentioned I also skipped printing the Appendecies and some of the extras like military tables etc.

Offline Elrik

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
Powers of Light and Darkness started out as $22.00 and change and it is comparable in size to Xa-ar. Add shipping and you are probably paying more then $25.

In the end, what ever works.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2008, 03:52:31 PM »
I wish I could offer a cost-effective print version like when I worked at a place with a high-speed B&W print machine (in the Eidolon days), but I don't; I'm at a design firm now. And even then we had some volume with distributor sales that I'm sure no longer exists (and the quality was not ideal, and the color renderings were not satisfactory to me in BW). Printing this sort of niche material with the current market and technology is tricky. I kind of agree with Elrik: get it on PDF, take it to some copyshop and have them print it. The price and quality might be comparable to what you would get otherwise.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.