Author Topic: New Spacemaster Setting?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
New Spacemaster Setting?
« on: November 07, 2023, 05:34:17 PM »
Would anyone like to see a new Spacemaster setting? I've been reading some of the books for Spacemaster: Privateers, and I'm wondering if I could do something different.  I have GURPS Space (4th Edition, and 3rd Edition).  And I have GURPS Biotech (4th Edition).  Oh, I have GURPS Time Travel too. hehe.  :D

I won't be using Time Travel, but I could use GURPS Space and GURPS Biotech to make something up.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
Re: New Spacemaster Setting?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 07:03:11 PM »
Personally I think the SM1/2 Imperium setting was superior to the SM:P setting. The only thing I liked about SM:P was Letters of Marque and Reprisal. That one game concept is worth keeping, but the rest of it can be thrown away IMO.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 10:50:33 PM »
I also liked the Space Bears.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 11:38:09 PM »
I also liked the Space Bears.
You likely have played Space Opera (or Other Suns, but SO is more likely) too much :D

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 08:08:42 AM »
I like the SM1/2 setting; especially with all the intrigue that the various houses provide. I do like several things in SM:P, mainly the more defined tech level charts and how they impact what you can build.

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »
Yeah, SM:P did tech levels better too. I think they also gave a bit more background on the races, which was helpful.

I like the SM2 setting better overall though.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 03:23:52 PM »
I wrote up a bit of a setting and some races for The Guild Companion back in the day.

"The Covenant Generation" deals with tensions between The United Nations and Corporations of Earth and the Covenant, a colonial offshoot largely settled by various wealthy religious groups.  The other species are the Gryph, a race of feathered velocoraptors with large, colourful, and aggressive males and small brown females who get the work done.  The Inheritors of Gnar, genetically altered humans who's ancestors were traded with the dying race of genetic masters The Gnar for the secret of FTL.  The Dagonites an eight limbed race from a high pressure acidic world who were involved in a genocidal war with the Gnar and do not like visitors.  The Sheth, a race of reducing scavengers that look like big, fuzzy, eight limbed muppets but that "mouth" is actually their closed night vision eye, their mouth is on their belly, and the fur is thick symbiotic mold.  Nicholas might still have access to the files.  I might have something on my hard drive but it's about half a dozen hard drives ago.

Online jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2024, 03:35:43 PM »
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster