Forum > Shadow World

Introducing new player to Shadow World

<< < (2/4) > >>

MisterK:

--- Quote from: Malim on February 20, 2022, 06:25:22 AM ---As ive written before here on the forum.

If Shadow World is gonna be a thing in the future and still honoring its creator TKA, it needs to be streamlined and put on some online platform and maybe converted to 5e or pathfinder.

--- End quote ---
Depends on what you mean by "streamlined".

And I completely disagree on 5e/Pathfinder. Unless the rules tailoring change the way the D&d/PF classes work, the way magic works, the way skills work and the way combat, in general, works.
I don't mind using a d20, so I guess it's something.

BYW, not that I'm uninterested in a discussion about the future of SW, but I don't think the topic was related to it.

foilfodder:

--- Quote from: MisterK on February 19, 2022, 01:29:51 PM ---One very important point in my opinion: the world does not revolve around the PCs. There are other plots and other events ongoing while they follow their own trail, and stumbling upon events that are not correlated with the campaign plot is, I believe, necessary. The war in Urulan, Ulor stirring in the west and Sulthon Ni'Shaang in the north, trade wars between Sel-Kai merchant princes, the Alliance sending emissaries here and there, and more... even if it has nothing to do with the campaign plot, they set the stage and they tell something about the world.

--- End quote ---

While your point "the world does not revolve around the PCs" is true for larger events/conspiracies of Shadow World is valid MisterK, I would counter that the gaming sessions DO (or at least should) revolve around the PCs.  When preparing original material, the GM should take into account the PCs (and their players) to make sure all feel invested and significant.

Yes, it can be hard since there are a seemingly endless number of "evil-doers" that can wipe a party of moderate level characters off the face of the planet in the blink of an eye.

One of the things I love about Rolemaster/MERP/HARP is the "Encounter Level" design aspects that Wizards of the Coast put into D&D for 3rd, 4th and 5th editions isn't a pillar of the system design. Shadow World is a dangerous place, Darwin's Laws will quickly eliminate parties that refuse to retreat when outmatched or think direct combat is the solution to every adversary.

--- Quote from: Malim on February 20, 2022, 06:25:22 AM ---As ive written before here on the forum.

If Shadow World is gonna be a thing in the future and still honoring its creator TKA, it needs to be streamlined and put on some online platform and maybe converted to 5e or pathfinder.

--- End quote ---

I appreciate your attempt at helpfulness Malim, but your post completely missed what I asked about in the original post.  I was looking for input on which existing Shadow World products would mesh well with a HARP game taking place in Jaiman.

Regarding your mention of your interest in converting Shadow World to a Pathfinder or DnD campaign world; that is not a product I would be interested in.

MisterK:

--- Quote from: foilfodder on February 20, 2022, 04:03:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: MisterK on February 19, 2022, 01:29:51 PM ---One very important point in my opinion: the world does not revolve around the PCs. There are other plots and other events ongoing while they follow their own trail, and stumbling upon events that are not correlated with the campaign plot is, I believe, necessary. The war in Urulan, Ulor stirring in the west and Sulthon Ni'Shaang in the north, trade wars between Sel-Kai merchant princes, the Alliance sending emissaries here and there, and more... even if it has nothing to do with the campaign plot, they set the stage and they tell something about the world.

--- End quote ---

While your point "the world does not revolve around the PCs" is true for larger events/conspiracies of Shadow World is valid MisterK, I would counter that the gaming sessions DO (or at least should) revolve around the PCs.  When preparing original material, the GM should take into account the PCs (and their players) to make sure all feel invested and significant.

Yes, it can be hard since there are a seemingly endless number of "evil-doers" that can wipe a party of moderate level characters off the face of the planet in the blink of an eye.

One of the things I love about Rolemaster/MERP/HARP is the "Encounter Level" design aspects that Wizards of the Coast put into D&D for 3rd, 4th and 5th editions isn't a pillar of the system design. Shadow World is a dangerous place, Darwin's Laws will quickly eliminate parties that refuse to retreat when outmatched or think direct combat is the solution to every adversary.

--- End quote ---
I agree with your point completely - it's always about the players having fun, and i's always about engaging the characters. What I meant by "the world does not revolve around the PCs" is that there is much more going on that the plot they are engaged in and, as such, they can be involved in events, find clues, or get swept up in conflicts that have nothing to do with "their" plot and everything to do with the fact that they were in the right place at the wrong time. Whether they decide to get more involved or not is their choice, but they should have the opportunity to get involved.

That's why I like "big city" waypoints (Haalkitaine, Lethys, Sel-Kai...) : there is so much going on and so many intersecting paths there that stumbling upon a problem you had no idea about seems natural.

Malim:
Sorry.

Then I would say all of shadow world is good, but use the new books!

Vladimir:
  My GM just started a new SW campaign and invited a couple players from another campaign (non-RM) to generate characters... The GM called me last night to complain that both players kept calling him at work to ask questions and then took up two hours over the phone for help. One in particular, kept asking for things. *sigh*

I gave him my usual talk about the role of god in a campaign. RM allows players to build the character the player wants. Beginning characters even start out fully equipped with normal gear and a couple gold. The background points gives each new player a slight edge over NPCs and the Training Packages are well worth the DP investment...but unless it is crucial to the mission, players don't need to be showered with free stuff. It's been four sessions and the players should be familiar enough with the game to end the babysitting mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version