Author Topic: What should Come Next for SW?  (Read 6638 times)

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
What should Come Next for SW?
« on: May 20, 2014, 06:15:13 AM »
I do love my online polls...

As I close in on a 'final' draft of the adventure book, what should I push to finish next? (Keep in mind that the Second Editions are closer to being done). Two votes!
Terry K. Amthor
Shadow World Author, Rolemaster & SpaceMaster Co-Designer, ICE co-founder.
Eidolon Studio Art Director

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
Re: What should Come Next for SW?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:03:46 AM »
Over on the Facebook SW page, someone mentioned a comprehensive timeline. Matt's Library of Nomikos online timeline/library database was an awesome resource (which I actually used at times), and it would be great if that or something like it could be resurrected, incorporating the latest updates. Who is up to that challenge? Maybe Matt could help or has a backup to get it started?
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
Whoohoo! I'm in the majority! That is rare for me.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
If the Jaiman book is going to be only edited, perhaps a plan should be made for a compiler to follow.

I kind of want the Eidolon book, but mostly because I want to read a revised version for research, rather than the original.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:51 PM »
If the Jaiman book is going to be only edited, perhaps a plan should be made for a compiler to follow.

Well by 'edited' I mean that all the outdated (and some inaccurate) material needs to be thrown out, a new timeline including Haalkitaine and Xa-ar put in (though a brief summary version) and overviews of all realms and regions with concise summaries put in, especially for those not really covered before (NE and SW) which would be new material. Jaiman was published in 1989 (*GASP*) 25 years ago, and the Eidolon Studio books came 10+ years after. It needs a major refresh, which of course I would be involved in, esp for new material.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
I just added an 'other.' Sorry to those who already voted, but you can always comment here if there is some other project you would like to see.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
I must admit some surprise at all the interest in Artifacts & Lost Technology! It's an even bigger winner over on the Shadow World Facebook page.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:50:46 AM »
I must admit some surprise at all the interest in Artifacts & Lost Technology! It's an even bigger winner over on the Shadow World Facebook page.

Well, there currently isn't any way of getting most of that information unless you have some of the out of print stuff.

Offline Vurkanan

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
Matt's Library of Nomikos online timeline/library database was an awesome resource (which I actually used at times), and it would be great if that or something like it could be resurrected, incorporating the latest updates. Who is up to that challenge? Maybe Matt could help or has a backup to get it started?
Yes, it was extremely useful and I've missed it many times.
Basically, I'd be happy to help getting it up and running again. But I have no idea why it was shut down and what would be involved to revive it. Could someone tell me how much effort and what resources it would take? Then I can say if, and how much, I could realistically commit myself to such a project.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
Matt's Library of Nomikos online timeline/library database was an awesome resource (which I actually used at times), and it would be great if that or something like it could be resurrected, incorporating the latest updates. Who is up to that challenge? Maybe Matt could help or has a backup to get it started?
Yes, it was extremely useful and I've missed it many times.
Basically, I'd be happy to help getting it up and running again. But I have no idea why it was shut down and what would be involved to revive it. Could someone tell me how much effort and what resources it would take? Then I can say if, and how much, I could realistically commit myself to such a project.

My understanding is that it was run by Matt Hanson (co-Mod of the SW section here) and he was running it off a PC at home, which was connected to the internet. I haven't heard from him lately, maybe send him a personal message.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline kyussopeth

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »
My personal Ranking highest to lowest Enthusiam

1. wuliris especially with Zor & Tanara  I have been super enthused from the beginning of its being mentioned especially if Zor is going to get some coverage.

2.GM's Guide to Jaiman

3.Artifacts & lost Tech

4.Campaign in Lethys & Agyra

5. Then the Emer 2nd editions

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 02:21:04 AM »
Something I would like to see not on the list is Agyra/Muliris with the Raven Queen and those she wars with.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Guillaume

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Kulthean Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 03:05:32 AM »
Over on the Facebook SW page, someone mentioned a comprehensive timeline. Matt's Library of Nomikos online timeline/library database was an awesome resource (which I actually used at times), and it would be great if that or something like it could be resurrected, incorporating the latest updates. Who is up to that challenge? Maybe Matt could help or has a backup to get it started?

I don't have a backup of Matt's database, but I should have somewhere the original word file that he used to create the database since I'm the one that did it.
514 to see, 416 to lock, 614 to shot...Target downed...Ask the marines to pick up the pieces.

RM, RM2, RMSS, RMFRP, HARP,  MERP, Cyberspace, SM, SM2, SM:P, Star Strike, Armored Assault, SD , SD : The Next Millenium, Bladestorm, Battle of the Five Armies .... Collecting ICE production since the epoch...

Offline Witchking20k

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »
You should just post the current 20 year span of the timeline on the FB page so it can be easily accessed
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Offline DragonReborn

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Bladestorm Tabletop
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 06:05:40 AM »
That decision was a tough one.

My campaign is in Jaiman, so all the material that you publish there would perfectly fit in.

BUT

The Emer Books and Eidolon have already been written. Unfortunately, they are currently unavailable.

It would seem practical to bring them back first while also using the existing material and then focus on new material for Jaiman.
Sebastian Klapdor
MX Bladestorm Dev
=========================================================
MX Homepage http://www.bladestorm.mx
facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BladestormTabletop
=========================================================

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
That decision was a tough one.

My campaign is in Jaiman, so all the material that you publish there would perfectly fit in.

BUT

The Emer Books and Eidolon have already been written. Unfortunately, they are currently unavailable.

It would seem practical to bring them back first while also using the existing material and then focus on new material for Jaiman.

Well I hope you'll enjoy the Gryphonburgh module, set right in the middle of Jaiman at a crossroads of the old highways.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 10:19:57 AM »
I also didn't mention Loremaster Legacy, which I would like to re-release with typo corrections and exported from InDesign, so it would be hopefully a cleaner ebook (the update would be free), and do a print version. There is also book 2, which is largely written but needs a lot of editing, and is kind of languishing...
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 09:04:17 AM »
Even though Emer I & II and Eidolon are scoring quite low, in some ways they maybe should be given a priority. I think one reason for the low number of votes is that most of the people voting already have them in one form or another, so they are mostly of interest to new people. Which is probably why they should be done, so that they are available for new people to buy, as that would cover a significant part of the major continent, and may be easier to complete than brand new stuff.

Offline Terry K. Amthor

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Great Book
    • Eidolon Studio
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
Even though Emer I & II and Eidolon are scoring quite low, in some ways they maybe should be given a priority. I think one reason for the low number of votes is that most of the people voting already have them in one form or another, so they are mostly of interest to new people. Which is probably why they should be done, so that they are available for new people to buy, as that would cover a significant part of the major continent, and may be easier to complete than brand new stuff.

Thanks for that comment. People who own the old ones may not realize how much I am revising them for the new editions, especially the Emer modules. Emer II is completely redone with tons of new material on the various realms, crappy stuff removed, and new adventures. Eidolon is also getting new material and new adventures. On that one, I am not taking away much, but adding.
Terry K. Amthor

-- Clarke's First Law.

Offline Valkrist

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
I couldn't have said it better than egdcltd.

I don't own the first edition versions of the Emer books so that's why my votes went to Emer I and II. I am eager to begin planning a SW campaign but am waiting for the second editions before doing so. I think everyone wants these revisions at some point, it's just that the material covered was much more recently released than the old stuff from the 80's. I found copies of the the first ed. versions of the Emer books but stopped myself from buying them because I read here (and just in time) that Terry was working on revisions. Had I been allowed 3 votes, the third would have gone to Emer IV.;)