Author Topic: Shadow World Adventure  (Read 1529 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Shadow World Adventure
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:35:42 PM »
The adventure starts at the end of the second age in middle earth.  The party, a group of elves, are in transit from the havens to Valinor when Arpharazon the Golden steps on the shores of Valinor and the Valar ask Eru to take over, Who then sperates the heavens from the middle earth and makes the world a globe.  Our intrepid adventures are sailing to Valinor when the seperation occurs.  Suddenly finding themselves on a sea of violent esseance, several passengers are tossed from the ship, including our party members (both nobility and scions of very old elves or bastards of).

There will be meaningless rolls of dice as the elven lords sing themselves to safety.  Upon arrival in a strange land they first discover three of their freinds are missing.  I'm assuming the two royal guards, a fighter and a mage who are going to go through considerable trouble to save the young ones from rampaging minions of Sauron lost in the wilds of Eregion bfore arriving in the Havens, will pursue the lost ones. 

They will be found, their remains in an ancient vault buried deed in the mountains.  Their frozen bodies were the subject of many experiments long ago by Althan corperate scientist.  From these experiments came medical advances that resulted in the race eventually becoming immortal.  The corperate owners however, saved the best of the genetic alterations for themselves, and thus the KitaViir family rose to dominace socially and politacally in the Empire.

Our intrepid adventures will brave the complex, discover the remains and information, then meet several sleeping KitaViir on site.  After a brief battle, I plan on the Essence Lords fleeing from the obnoxiously powerful Noldor Lords.

Or not...what I am debating right now is what age to start the adventures at.  This could be in the 1st age of Kulthea, at the hight of the Althan Empire.  Kadeana is currently poisitioning herself to seize control of the Empire but lacks the Shadow Stone, though she quest for it.  The KitaViir have superior mastery of magic due to their genetic traits, yet a schism will form when Utha sees the full depths of his wifes depravity.

This age seems ripest for play.  Discovery of the nature of the unlife would to the elves be Morgoth attempting to return from the void, with Kadeana as his Priest.  The split in the KItaViir family and ensuing fight for control provides allies for the PC's.  The current emporer will first be presented as benign, but I think I will have him a demonologist, with Sith and Maliskari as his secret patrons.

So, a stranded group of second age elf lords who discover Morgoth has assumed a new form and means to overthrow his banishment to the void caught in the middle of a brewing civil war while they themselves seek justice for the deaths of the comrades and, perhaps, a way to sail the esseance safely back to the higher planes and the Undying Lands.

We all know how the first age ends; badly for every body.  The eyes phase the world out of normal time space, creating a barrier that protects it from the worst of the esseance flows effects and keeps the unlife at bay.  Getting there should be fun.

Of course, all I have done so far is the initial middle earth adventures, the fall of Ost En Edhil, the fleeing from Erigion and two small adventures stopping/destroying some of Saurons forces and rescuing the elven relatives.  Actual hard copy work for the adventure ends at the vualt on Kulthea.

I have so much MORE material to run an adventure in 3rd age Kulthea, but I lack a good adventure hook the way the 1st age Kulthea plays out.  My initial idea was for three KitaViir to awaken in the vault, open hostilities with the elven PC's, flee, and then...what?

I think I'll go with the first age setting.  More work, but a blank canvas is always more fun for me.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
Re: Shadow World Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
How about arriving in the Second Age, just before the Wars of Dominion? Wars could be a way to weaken the barriers that keep Morgoth prisoner and for sure you have more official background.
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
I have moved it to the second age.  there is a BRIEF visit in the first age, then straight to the second age.  The amount of work for the first age was to much.  What I have is a brief set of adventures that will lead to the battle before the Gate of the Void with Kadena and her henchmen.  The PC's will meet Utha and Andrax and a small host of others, but when the gate is destroyed, I will force the mage to use his stasis spell to save the party from the explosion of power/magma/antimatter bombs hurled by the rebels.

The party will be dug up by the Titans and recruited.  I THINK they will take the job, but I have yet to see.  That is were the adventure will pick up.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline fac

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Shadow World's aficionado
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:43:59 AM »
They could be Xiosians!
You must feel the thought and think the feeling

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »
The party is in the first age and hiding, feeling out the politics.  The Emporer rules as the head of the Kitaviir family while your avergae Althan is fairly content with his life and ruler.  The party is seeking an "opposition party" that doesnt excist, that is UNTIL they reveal to the right people how the Kitaviir developed their scientific break throughs.

The group used their location spells to lead them to the remains of the three elves, hiden in a secret lab, fought a few guards, and then fled as the law enforcement/military began to arrive in force.

A local was mind dominated, the party shape shift to Althan forms and went into hiding.  I'm looking forward to the next session when the players get ident cards and become more mobile.