Author Topic: Getting Started in Shadow World  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Getting Started in Shadow World
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
There are so many Shadow World books out there at the moment (Some of which are getting pretty pricey! Darn collectors!). 

Where should a potential new GM start?  What books are too obsolete to bother with?  I'm reading the 4th edition master atlas right now, but what should come next?

I'm thinking of starting up a new campaign, and I'll be using RMFRP/SS.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Getting Started in Shadow World
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
First thing you need to do is to decide WHERE you want to start your campaign (as well as what type of campaign that you want to run.

Once you do that, then it will be easier to give you ideas on specific products.

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:59 AM »
This question was asked before, but annoyingly I can't find it.

The two main areas for starting are Jaiman and Emer. Once one of those areas are picked, you can start narrowing it down.
I made some things! Azukail Games

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
The Emer books 1 and 2 are very recent and the Emer book 3 is just around the corner so I'd recommend Emer as a starting point.

The Jaiman book was produced a while ago (2001 actually - I just assumed it was longer as my book's looking a little tatty) and there's the other books within the Jaiman area but not all are considered 'canon' and there's a link for that list somewhere. If Mat's about, he's handy with the list here.

As Emer is very recent and written by Terry entirely, it's all good! :)

The new Player's Guide (which is VERY soon ...still) is also a great product - so keep an eye out for that!  :P
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »
The Jaiman book was produced a while ago (2001 actually - I just assumed it was longer as my book's looking a little tatty)

You were right with your original assumption - my Jaiman was written in 1989.

and there's the other books within the Jaiman area but not all are considered 'canon' and there's a link for that list somewhere. If Mat's about, he's handy with the list here.

Here's one version of the list:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=9612

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 01:29:44 PM »
If you want to play in Jaiman and you are running RMSS/FRP, then you want Xa-ar as it ticks both boxes (RM2 & RMSS stats for a Jaiman region) - available in pdf now, and will be available in print later this year (all being well).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline vroomfogle

• OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 03:16:35 PM »
Xa-ar would be a great choice actually because it is so filled with adventures that you could campaign in it for years.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
Both Jamain and Emer are good, but I swing in favor of Emer simply because of the Bay of Izar stuff in the back of the Master Atlas (newest version). That gives you a nice sized area to start out with and a good variety of material to use. You could branch out once you have a some more material and have checked it out.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:54:07 PM »
See, I don't have a whole lot of knowledge of the setting, so I as yet don't know where I would set it.  I will certainly make it a point to look for the Xa-ar area.

I have Emer Atlas 1 and 2, each with a date of 2002, so I'm guessing I am fairly up to date in that regards.  I also found a couple of adventure books, but they specifically reference Rolemaster and Fantasy Hero, and are from 1989.  So those are definitely the oldest of the books.

Thank you, all.  I will say that since picking these up, I have started reading and wonder why I passed them up all those times I could have gotten them years ago...
It seems to have many of the elements I've been shoehorning into my d20 game.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 02:15:07 AM »
Thank you, all.  I will say that since picking these up, I have started reading and wonder why I passed them up all those times I could have gotten them years ago...
It seems to have many of the elements I've been shoehorning into my d20 game.

I agree!!

I't's amazing the level of detail and the fact it's not just another LotR type fantasy world - there are some really unique features in there!

I have Emer Atlas 1 and 2, each with a date of 2002, so I'm guessing I am fairly up to date in that regards.  I also found a couple of adventure books, but they specifically reference Rolemaster and Fantasy Hero, and are from 1989.  So those are definitely the oldest of the books.

Emer book 1 and 2 are the newest and they're full of lots of great information - but light on the adventurers unfortunately. So if you're like me and can't come up with grand adventures, you may want to try Xa-ar as Matt suggested. If those books you have are part of the canon list for Shadow World (whose link was higher up in the responses), then they're all good!

(The Shadow World was written by many people at the beginning so some books don't jive with the current books but everything current is either entirely written or overseen by Terry so everything's all good from the last 10 years onwards).

On the subject of the old RM2 stats in the books, you'll find that the RMFRP stats aren't too far off those so you'll not be making a game too unbalanced if you simply use those stats for the NPCs instead of trying to re-create them from scratch or ignoring those books totally.
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 03:03:32 AM »
I also found a couple of adventure books, but they specifically reference Rolemaster and Fantasy Hero, and are from 1989.  So those are definitely the oldest of the books.

Are those Tales of the Loremasters I & II? I don't believe those are considered canon, but as they're adventure modules in specific locales I don't think there's much to actually contradict the canon stuff (I'll have to dig my copies out to take a look at them).

The Land of Xa'ar supplement and the two adventures from Guild Adventurer 2 & 3 give a fair amount of material for a small area. GA4 is due soon and that has another adventure, but I'd need to dig through the Guild Companion website probably to remember where it's set.

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• GCP
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 03:38:32 AM »
"Eyes of Stone", Terry's latest scenario which will feature in TGA#4, is set in SE Emer and could be used as an intro to that region (which will be covered in the upcoming Emer III sourcebook).

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme