Author Topic: Percentage Action  (Read 147 times)

Offline Bigstef1975

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Percentage Action
« on: May 10, 2024, 01:26:08 PM »
 I just wanted to ask you how you manage the percentages of actions that players must spend per round? Have you tried the technique of aligning the percentages continuously? Example: In the first round my character decides to charge his longbow 80%. He has 20% left and must wait for the GM to come back to him for his remaining 20%... given to him with 20% he decides to shoot (50%) but does not have enough percentage so it is postponed until 2nd round where he fires and he has 70% left in the second round considering the 20% remaining from the first... When the GM comes to him , he has 70% left. He decides to recharge his longbow 80%. Which pushes him back to the 3rd round and he remains 90% action in the 3rd round given the 10% difference. He decides in the 3rd round to draw his charged longbow but at -10. Etc Etc... With this system a player can only say one action at a time... Hope i am clear

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Percentage Action
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2024, 03:01:47 PM »
I don't manage action cost % like that because there are values that are managed on a per-round basis, not on a per-action basis (such as ON/DB allocation). Carry-over break the round structure, so if you want to do that, you have to tweak the system so that everything aligns with the new sequence of actions. The per-second action cost in one of the RMC did just that, but I never used it, it was too much bother for my tastes.

In RMSS, the action cost % does not carry over : if you don't have enough action % to complete the action before the end of the round, you can't perform the action, simple as that (the leftover %, if any, is usually spent for movement or situational awareness, but Adrenals can also fill in quite nicely).

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2024, 03:03:23 PM »
MisterK is right about RMSS/RMFRP.  The action cost % does not carry over.

Offline Bigstef1975

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2024, 03:08:53 PM »
I don't manage action cost % like that because there are values that are managed on a per-round basis, not on a per-action basis (such as ON/DB allocation). Carry-over break the round structure, so if you want to do that, you have to tweak the system so that everything aligns with the new sequence of actions. The per-second action cost in one of the RMC did just that, but I never used it, it was too much bother for my tastes.

In RMSS, the action cost % does not carry over : if you don't have enough action % to complete the action before the end of the round, you can't perform the action, simple as that (the leftover %, if any, is usually spent for movement or situational awareness, but Adrenals can also fill in quite nicely).
What system did you use in your session ?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2024, 08:06:07 PM »
I would let someone carry over activity spent on reloading, since there is no maneuver roll for it. But splitting the attack action between rounds creates some unnecessary complications, I wouldn't split that.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 12:24:18 AM »
I would let someone carry over activity spent on reloading, since there is no maneuver roll for it. But splitting the attack action between rounds creates some unnecessary complications, I wouldn't split that.
The reloading activity was an explicit exception in RMSS (long-duration manoeuvers, such as lock picking, were another). I think the exception could be removed by stating that a reload action takes, say, 30% activity, and that all reloads require a certain number of reload actions (e.g. two for short bow, three for long bow, four for heavy crossbow...). Granted, you lose a bit of detail, but the action sequencing in combat becomes more straightforward.

That's what I did in my current iteration (it doesn't use action%, but uses AP with a similar economy). Reload action is 2 APs, and you need one or more to reload a missile weapon depending on the weapon.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 12:29:30 AM »
What system did you use in your session ?
When using RM2, I used the phased round system. When using RMSS, I used the RMSS action% system. Now, I am using my own RM hack which still looks like RM if you squint, are OK with using a d20 instead of a d100, with the GM never rolling, and with having a single "21+ succeeds, 20 or less fails" mechanism for *everything* (including combat) and removing attack and critical tables.