Author Topic: Magus - Item creation  (Read 2338 times)

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magus - Item creation
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
Hello again all,

I just got a question from one of my friends, if my Magus was able to make magic general items?  Item's like +10 riding saddle, +10BAR ring etc.

I havn't seen anything mentioned in the rules regarding this, but I might have overlooked it. Anyone knows?

If someone could explain the benefits of embedding a personality as well, that would be great :)
Why procrastinate today when you can do it tomorrow?

Offline Tarmo.Korpela

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Magus - Item creation
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:07 AM »
In RM, to create any magical items you normally have to be an Alchemist or otherwise have an access to the Alchemist Base Lists. The creation of magic items is thoroughly handled in Treasure Companion.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 05:34:48 AM »
Tarmo.Korpela
 Welcome to the ICE Forums.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:23:01 AM »
In RM, to create any magical items you normally have to be an Alchemist or otherwise have an access to the Alchemist Base Lists. The creation of magic items is thoroughly handled in Treasure Companion.

Not quite Tarmo. Magus's get spell lists to create magic armors and weapons by embedding runes into them - but the rules don't describe if it's possible to do ordinary things - which is why I'm wondering. To me it should?!? be easier to make a +10 spoon of tasting than a +10 magic DB armor.

I could be wrong though.. as I've often been proven ;)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 07:38:53 AM »
As TC points out, magic weapons would probably be less likely than enchanted "tools".  A table cloth that creates a feast for 20 with full courses, a chalice that when filled with wine generates an illusion of entertainers able to be voice commanded and interacted with: a magic sword is great, but has far less uses AND when 1000 normal swords can be bought for the same cost, it becomes economically questionable.  Meanwhile, earrings of +20 influence would assist the nobles/kings/wealthy merchant everyday.

Keying items and the economy of magic item creation should apply to all alchemy.  TC is a GREAT book.  I use it all the time and it can offer some guidelines even for the Magus.   My PC will just be on the look out for items covered in intricate runes... ;) 
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:46:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I'm starting to wonder why I've been a long timer lurker instead of joining up sooner.

Would the TC rules be easily converted to our mix and match RM2/RMC system?

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:25 AM »
Short answer: yes.

I mix RM2 with RMSS/FRP.  Lately I have been more RM2...anyway, the differences between RM2 and RMSS are more cosmetic than structural.  They blend well.

Item bonuses remain the same on armor and weapons.  Alchemist are presented for all three realms.  Many enchantments could be pulled for the Magus right from the list (there is even a section for enchantments such as weapon or shield slayer, multiform weapons, etc).  Intelligence is covered for example, with the abilities of the levels of intelligence.  The Maguc could design a rune to embed empathy or VH Int, etc.  An items Will and what level spells it could cast are covered.

The sale/resale tables are excellent too.  The enchanted bonuses  for category bonuses and pp's can be kept as is or modified as you desire.  In the same vein, Channeling Companion is a must have book.  It makes playing any channeler a new exp AND flushes out fantasy religions beautifully.

The professions and training packages would require actual work to use in RM2.  I just use the Alchemist prof as listed in RM2 with a change in prime stats and realm of magic.  The redesigned base list DO make playing an alchemist easier because there are combat centered spells on the base list (such as bladeturn).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
For RM2/RMC, I would recommend the Alchemy Companion. In the first place, it was written for RM2. In the second place, it has a lot more creativity and variety in the professions and lists offered (TC has three professions, but the Channeling and Mentalism Alchemists are but minor variants on the Essence Alchemist. The AC professions are much more distinctive, to the point where you really wouldn't use all of them in the same setting.) Thirdly, they both have some parts that just don't work and needed more editing, so its a toss up there.

You get more bang for your buck with Alchemy Companion. Not only is it a thicker book, but it doesn't repeat itself. TC rather disappointed me with the degree to which it was padded out. You get magic item treasure generations twice: once with default values and again with a couple of blank spots to fill in if your assumptions vary from theirs. You also get a good chunk of the book filled with magic item descriptions, many of which are just "updates" of items you already have if you have C&T and C&T II, since the RMSS creature book is just creatures, no treasures. I'm not saying that you wouldn't get anything out of TC, but you'd get a lot more from AC. If you want a RMSS/FRP book that will give you a whole bunch of new material, of high quality, get the Construct Companions (golems, constructs, and much more).

Treasure Companion: 144 pages. Minus title page, TOC, index page, three pages of ICE ads, three pages of internal section TOCs, 10 pages of redundant treasure tables, eight pages of check lists that are just the names of spells on lists organized by type (five pages of which aren't even for TC, but for the Arcane Companion!), and four pages of updated skills sheets for RMSS, this leaves 113 pages of potential interest to you, without yet even considering the repetition of material you almost certainly have from RM2.

Alchemy Companion: 208 pages. Two pages ICE ads, title page, two pages TOC, and an 11 page index to spells and spell lists (all for this book and likely to be found actually useful), leave 192 pages of alchemical goodness, with some possible minor duplications of material in other RM2 non-core books, including the Spirit Runes material that prompted the thread. I don't have the Magus in front of me, but if the two versions of the list are identical, there is certainly room to add some more spells for additional effects. Ultimately, what you can and cannot do is up to your GM. He might allow you to develop Spell Mastery to use the OB rune spell as a general item bonus spell. There's so many available options with RM2 that's it is very hard to advise on someone else's campaign. Talk to your GM.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Warl

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:15:31 AM »
I also am a Fan of the alchemy Companion, Though i don't recommend letting it all fall into the same campaign easily. Look through it and decide what best fits your current game. Different cultures and technology levels will fit some of it better than others.

D Puncture crit 100
Strike through foes brain makes liffe Difficult for foe!

http://www.dragonlords.tolmanbros.com/forum/

http://www.dinnertablecreations.tolmanbros.com/

Offline JUNKdeLUXE

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:26:40 PM »
information overload !!! so much to read and so little time... Guess it's my own fault for being a powergamer in my earlier years and only just recent beginning to really look into the ROLEplaying and all it entitles.

I think our group has an old Alchemy Companion, so I'll find some time to go through that.