Author Topic: Favorite Version?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline KenPopehat

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Favorite Version?
« on: February 09, 2023, 05:17:50 PM »
Do people have strong favorites as between SM2 and Privateers?  Thinking of running a game over Zoom and trying to decide.

(My experience is with the original.  I’m so old I remember riding my bike to the Post Office to get a money order to order the original through the mail.  I think it was advertised in Dragon magazine?)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Favorite Version?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 03:21:17 PM »
You would probably do well by sticking with Privateers if you want new blood. That's just my opinion though. I like SM1, SM2 and Privateers for different reasons. SM1 is still on my night time reading desk because I like the feel of young rpg life that it had. I prefer SM2 when playing military games mostly because of Star Strike and Armoured Assault. Privateers is just a more modern game feel, in my opinion.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 01:34:47 PM »
My favorite setting is to take SM2 Imperium and have them make the decision to issue Letters of Marque and Reprisal a la Privateers.

I don't care for the Privateers races.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 09:54:46 AM »
I have only played Privateers a couple of times and it was with human-centric characters. I never delved into the other races; not sure why. I mostly like the Tech Level discussions and the different types of Tech Level influenced vehicle equipment in Privateers.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 03:24:32 PM »
To me the whole premise of the other races is just cheesy.
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 11:11:57 AM »
In terms of rules, I am looking forward to a space-setting-support supplement for RoleMaster Unified.

In terms of setting, clearly the SM2 setting was superior in my opinion. But I'd probably, as most of the time, create my own universe for a new spacemaster campaign.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 05:43:51 PM »
I love Spacemaster Privateers but the setting is under developed.  The Races and Cultures book helps some but as it stands there's not much material for non-privateering campaigns.

The various animal people are just as cheesy as elves and dwarves and acceptable as generic science fiction tropes.  The idea was to have a setting that was easy to play in.  For instance most of the races are found on both sides of the war so its easy to do player characters infiltrating Jerronian facilities.  The losing war and privateering gives a good centeral campaign premise.  The races are easy to grok rather than being inscrutable.  While the author disagrees with me, I still think it would have gone over better with anime style art work.

For an easy to convert alternative setting, have a look at FGU's old Space Opera setting which has some similar races and a larger map area.

Offline MisterK

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 01:32:46 AM »
For an easy to convert alternative setting, have a look at FGU's old Space Opera setting which has some similar races and a larger map area.
Or the Traveller setting, another of the Old Ones that never truly stopped giving. And some of the alien modules (e.g. Solomani and Aslan - yes, the Sol humans *are* an alien race :D) are very good.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2023, 08:50:47 PM »
I prefer the setting of SM2 and the rules of SM: Privateers.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline EltonJ

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 12:50:05 PM »
I like SM:Privateers over the setting of SM2.

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »
Are there any rules for creating new player races in SM:P? If so, where should I look for them?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2023, 10:17:48 AM »
I'm not sure, but the rules for creating races in RMU might be a good place to look. It provides a clear system and I imagine that if a new version of Spacemaster ever gets made, it would use those rules too.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 03:54:12 PM »
I just did a quick review of SM1, 2, and Privateers and found no mention of creating new races. I agree that your best choice would be to use RMU for race creation.

Offline Amano

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2023, 04:57:13 PM »
Did this spacemaster zoom game take off?

I used to read a pretty fine law blog written by a Ken “popehat”. Ever considered blogging your spacemaster game?

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2024, 03:16:57 PM »
The race creation rules in RMSS Gamemaster Law are SPAM compatible.