Author Topic: Where are they now?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Where are they now?
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:31:15 PM »
So where are the original RM designers now?  Are they still active in the industry?  How many still contribute to ICE?  I recognize a few names from older products, but not many.  Just curious. ;)
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Where are they now?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:15:34 PM »
Heike Kubasch and Bruce Neidlinger are still with ICE.  Pete Fenlon and Coleman Charlton work for Mayfair Games, which is all board and card games.  Terry Amthor is out of the industry and works for either a printing company or some sort of Macintosh technical consulting company.  Let's see, who else is there?

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 03:31:40 AM »
Steven E. Moffatt
Kurt H. Fischer
Bruce Shelley
Leonard Cook  (I have always wondered if this is the same guy as Monte Cook that later worked for ICE)
are names that I have seen on credits for the rules section of old editions.
/Pa Staav

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:07:29 AM »
Kurt lives and works in Charlottesville, as does Rick Britton and Howard Huggins, neither are in RPG industry anymore (I met both of them while I was living there).

In fact, other than those listed above, I don't think that any of the old ICE are still in the industry (and no, Leonard is NOT the same as Monte).

I will point this thread out to Bruce and maybe he can supply some more information.

Offline Cloven-Fruit-Games

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
One came up to me at Gencon, but I do not rember which one at this point...

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Heike Kubasch and Bruce Neidlinger are still with ICE.  Pete Fenlon and Coleman Charlton work for Mayfair Games, which is all board and card games.  Terry Amthor is out of the industry and works for either a printing company or some sort of Macintosh technical consulting company.  Let's see, who else is there?

Weren't Pete Fenlon and Coleman Charlton the original designers of RM?  I mean, obviously they had a lot of help, but weren't they the ones who started the whole mess? ;)
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
yes ... along with Terry

Offline Jenkyna

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 11:29:01 PM »
I was re-reading the original RM rules and read the section about the "Charltonian view" vs. the "Amthorian view" on Monks. Got kind of a good chuckle out of it, but it's still kind of sad they are either out of the industry or have no connection with ICE. As much as I prefer RM over D&D it still made me sad when Gygax died. He introduced me to RPG's a very long time ago, and I will always be grateful for that.

Offline ICEBruce

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »
The original RM was a mixture of Kurt Fischer, Pete, Coleman, Terry and myself.  Heike was in the mix as was Stephen Moffatt and Bruce Shelley and a host of others. For a really good idea on the original team look at the first credit for Arms Law.

Pete and Coleman are indeed at Mayfair. Rick and ICE are working on a historical book publishing startup while Kurt is working for a local publisher and just comes by to chat frequently.  Leonard Cook had nothing whatsover to do with the design.