Author Topic: RMU Skill Category - Tactics  (Read 312 times)

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU Skill Category - Tactics
« on: February 11, 2024, 03:28:19 PM »
I was thinking about the skill Tactics** (Combined Arms Tactics, Small Unit Tactics, etc.)

Would that be a under the Vocation Category?

** some possible subdivisions:
    Battle Field: Cavalry and infantry tactics.
    Naval: Ship and boat tactics.
    Sabotage: Underground/behind enemy lines tactics.
    Siege: Reduction of fortified position tactics.
    Small Unit: Conflict between small groups.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
Re: RMU Skill Category - Tactics
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 04:50:51 PM »
The vocations would be things like "Cavalry Officer", "Infantry Officer", "Naval Officer", etc., but the Vocations are the best place to pick up that kind of thing. Maybe take Historic Lore (Military History) as well, if you want to represent someone who has studied military operations in detail.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 08:24:32 PM »
I think the function would be to assess what other units are likely to do, to assess your side's vulnerabilities (i.e., what your units are doing wrong), and to improve your leadership. Figuring out what people of a given vocation are likely to do in the course of their work is certainly a core use of the vocation skills, and there's no reason that wouldn't apply to a vocation of soldiering just as it would to a vocation of marketing. Likewise, looking for shortcomings or failings of people in your own organization is a good use of a vocation skill. As for improving leadership, this sounds like a perfect fit as a complementary skill, adding your ranks in the vocation to your leadership skill.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Hansuke

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 07:01:22 PM »
Maybe, in the spirit of Vocation, I could call the skill "Tactician**".  I think tacticians would might be influenced by IN and RE. This would be opposed to a strategist who might be influenced by ME and RE. The strategist would put the pieces on the big table, while the tactician would find a way to make them all fit together in real time.