Author Topic: Rolemaster Vikings  (Read 1790 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Rolemaster Vikings
« on: January 23, 2019, 01:43:49 PM »
Has anyone used this product?  I am interested in knowing what classes are listed and how you feel about this.  I was going to pick it up, but wanted some thoughts from the forums.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Rolemaster Vikings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:08:43 PM »
I've used it and actually like it quite a bit. I get the feeling it was done for RM first (too many of those products seem to have been done for Hero and had RM tacked on as an afterthought). I don't have it in front of me, but as you might expect Arms professions predominate. The culture stuff is really solid, and they give good adventure examples as well. I'd rank it close to the top of those supplements.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
I like the culture and setting, but don't think it adds any new classes though, if that's what you're most interested in Gandalf. It offers some tips on translating individual skills (Frenzy for Berserkers, some Shaman stuff) into the Viking milieu, but I don't see any new classes in it.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:02:49 PM »
There weren't any new professions. I don't think most of the Campaign Classics stuff added new classes exactly. The Old West one retooled some, but it wasn't very in-depth.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 05:52:27 AM »
"At Rapier's Point" introduced five new professions but, as none are spell-using ones, they IMO don't offer much. Of course, it's an overall discussion we may have about RM2 in general, where non-spell using professions are merely all the same, with slight variations in a few spell costs. ;)
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline intothatdarkness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:01:46 AM »
That was one of the ones I never picked up. I have Vikings, Outlaw, and Pirates. I had and sold the Egypt one.
Darn that salt pork!

Offline chook

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 05:29:31 AM »
It is a good book and does have some modifications to a few of the Professions that bring them into a low magic, historically based style of setting.  The time period covered is from the late 8th Century CE through to the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

It is not a RMSS or RMFRP book having been published for RM in 1989 so if you are going to use it with either RMSS or RMFRP then you will need to do a little bit of conversion work.