Author Topic: Can you tell how good your Opponent is?  (Read 3860 times)

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Can you tell how good your Opponent is?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »
To answer the OP - yes certainly. Back in the days when I was younger, more flexible, and before a rather catastrphic knee injury, I did martial arts. When I first started (ahh, those days of being a red-tag white belt... we thought we were to tough :) ) I couldn't tell how good someone was. However, several years later, you realise that you can pick this up quite quickly. I witnessed several times people getting ready to spar, and almost without any movement, they shortly afterwards face up, bow, and acknowledge one as the victor.

So, to drag this back to my point - if you have a degree of skill in fighting, you can easily tell when someone is better than they seem, and can also see the fear in your opponent's eyes when they realise you are better than them. Admitedly this can get mired in the "they know that you know that they know that you know" territory, but in general I say it would only take a round or two before a melee fighter can judge with some accuracy the skill of his opponent.

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
Moral of the story....build you character one dimensional and you will be taken advantage of every time.

If I had a dollar for those "System That Shall Not Be Named" players who did this, I might could retire by now... ;)

But really, I went to a local gaming house here and all the players played that "System" and swore it was the most realistic RPG.  I guffawed and walked out, knowing they were too closed minded to be taught differently.

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline JimiSue

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
How can anyone claim that a system of abstracted armour, abstracted hit points, weapons which have been reduced to essentially 2 variables (damage amount and damage type), with restricted character paths, ultra-linear progression, and the almost game-breaking rules for AoOs.... is realistic? Most gamers I meet are reasonably intelligent individuals, but that sounds like one shop I want to avoid.

And if they were talking about 4th edition, then  :o :o :boggle:  :o :o

Offline GrumpyOldFart

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Hey you kids! Get out of my dungeon!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
I couldn't tell how good someone was. However, several years later, you realise that you can pick this up quite quickly. I witnessed several times people getting ready to spar, and almost without any movement, they shortly afterwards face up, bow, and acknowledge one as the victor.

This relates to what I've been saying in another thread. An identical Perception result looking at the identical situation won't tell a mage and a fighter the same things. In approximately the same amount of time, the mage should be able to work out broadly what to expect of an enemy mage as well, but the fighter shouldn't find it that easy.

But really, I went to a local gaming house here and all the players played that "System" and swore it was the most realistic RPG.  I guffawed and walked out, knowing they were too closed minded to be taught differently.

Back in the day when I talked my gaming group into converting from AD&D to RM1, the method I used was a single mid-high level orc rogue.

Once these D&Ders had had half their party knocked off and the other half badly wounded by one orc, they were sold.

;)
You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out... Traditional Somatic Components
Oo Ee Oo Aa Aa, Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang... Traditional Verbal Components
Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog, Wool of Bat and Tongue of Dog... Traditional Potion Formula

Offline arakish

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • A joy of mine
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »
How can anyone claim that a system of abstracted armour, abstracted hit points, weapons which have been reduced to essentially 2 variables (damage amount and damage type), with restricted character paths, ultra-linear progression, and the almost game-breaking rules for AoOs.... is realistic? Most gamers I meet are reasonably intelligent individuals, but that sounds like one shop I want to avoid.

And if they were talking about 4th edition, then  :o :o :boggle:  :o :o

I do not know.  Really.

Back in the day when I talked my gaming group into converting from AD&D to RM1, the method I used was a single mid-high level orc rogue.

Once these D&Ders had had half their party knocked off and the other half badly wounded by one orc, they were sold.

;)

Another thing I did not mention is that all these "System That Shall Not Be Named" players were still using these dinosaur notebooks networked through a dinosaur desktop machine to create a dinosaur LAN.  In actuality, it was seeing that setup that made me initially laugh and them asking me what was so funny.  I then tried to tell them how my current SM FtF group were playing and how the RM/SM system was much better.

Another point, the gaming house was in the back half of gaming hobby store.  Want to know what the hobby store sold?  About 75% of the products were from that "System That Shall Not Be Named" (stsnbn).

When I tried to describe the "believable realism" of the RM/SM, they constantly interrupted me to tell me that the (stsnbn) was more realistic.  I actually asked one of them, "What happens when you get a critical against your opponent?"

Him: "I hit for double hit points."

Me: You mean you don't sever his arm?  You don't spear him through the chest with your sword?  You don't literally chop his torso in half?

Him: No.  Why would I do that?

It was actually at that point I guffawed (ROTFLMAO) and walked out.  Definitely not intelligent enough to be True Role Players.  Although most looked to be in their 20s (GM looked in his 30s), they were still adolescents when it came to Role Playing.  Then I began asking myself, "Why are they using such old dinosaurs for their computers?"  I then realized, most of them may be monetarily challenged.  Hmmm...

However, one of the members actually tracked me down (and I ain't figured out how) and asked me to show him this RM/SM system.  I did and he got his friends to come over.  Now we have a session every Sunday, 1000 to 1300 hours.  Excepting the Super Bowl, of course.  They have been converted.  They now say the (stsnbn) "is a joke."  (Their words, not mine.)

Basically, all one can do is perhaps get that one to ask, "What if he is correct?"  Then he may get others to join.  Then you might get others.  And those others might get others.  Et cetera.  Spread like a virus, eh?

rmfr
"Beware those who would deny you access to information, for they already dream themselves your master."
— RMF Runyan in Sci-Fi RPG session (GM); quoted from the PC game SMAC.

Offline bpowell

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »
I run a monthly stsnbn game for some friends.  But recently I needed some subjects for a Play Test in RMC.  I asked my group and after the second session most seemed to like the system and loved combat.  Spell casting is a bit difficult (Why cant I just cast and have it all happen in one round?!?!?!)

But overall they seem to like the system.