Forum > Other Settings

Love for Cyberspace

(1/5) > >>

lev_lafayette:

Whilst this is a pretty quiet section of the forums, I thought I'd start my posting with what is clearly a minority opinion.

I personally think Cyberspace was the best cyberpunk genre game that ever came out.

Better than Shadowrun (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th edition). Better than Cyberpunk (v1, v2.0.2.0, v3). Better than GURPS Cyberpunk. Better than Underground. Better than CyberHero.

Cyberspace glimmered with style. The character professions were evocative (Sleaze, Tech Rat, Net Junkie etc) as were the class backgrounds (Arcologists, Middle Corps, Space Colonists, Sprawkids). The CIRS was sickening. The system had just the right amount of detail, sufficiently detailed and yet relatively simple to implement. The technologies were gorgeous. Rick Lowry's interior and Vietch's cover art was just superb.

The support material was good too. Edge-On was an excellent set of short adventures. Death Game 2090 did all sorts of wrong things to my player's minds. Cyber Skelter was challenging and twisted. Europe, Death Valley and Chicago were excellent in the detail and utility.

OK, Body Bank, Sprawlgangs and Cyberrougues were pretty lite-on. Actually they were bloody awful.

But the rest of Cyberspace was great!

Skynet:
Yeah! Cyberspace! Totally with you on that. Like I've said in a couple of posts on the Rolemaster threads, I think Cyberspace has the most logical and simple version of the I.C.E. system. It just makes more sense. Higher ATs actually offer more protection (it's not always the case with Rolemaster/Spacemaster). That's a big thing for me.

If you're looking for a great cyberpunk game with excellent settings, I recommend Ex Machina by Guardians of Order. Yeah, I know that the company is no more (sniff...) but they had time to publish incredible material. Take a look on RPG.net. Reviews are great and it how they should be. Really nice stuff. Even if you don't like the Tri-Stat system. The settings are not rule-free, but rule-lite enough to be used with Cyberspace.

Cyberspace!

yammahoper:
Never bought Cyberspace.  After a single adventure in Shadowrun I decided it was not the genre for me.  Course, looking back it was the control freak GM and the weird d6 system, not just the d6 system.  I have wanted to pick up some of the old Cyberspace modules though, but have always passed cuz I had no idea which were good and which were bad.  Now I can follow lev_lafayette review and pick up one of the books he liked while avoiding the others. 

lynn

lev_lafayette:

--- Quote from: Skynet on May 16, 2007, 07:29:10 AM ---Yeah! Cyberspace! Totally with you on that. Like I've said in a couple of posts on the Rolemaster threads, I think Cyberspace has the most logical and simple version of the I.C.E. system.
--- End quote ---

I must agree with you there. It really was quick and elegant.

--- Quote ---If you're looking for a great cyberpunk game with excellent settings, I recommend Ex Machina by Guardians of Order.

--- End quote ---

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out for it.

--- Quote from: yammahoper on May 16, 2007, 03:10:25 PM ---Never bought Cyberspace.  After a single adventure in Shadowrun I decided it was not the genre for me.  Course, looking back it was the control freak GM and the weird d6 system, not just the d6 system.

--- End quote ---

Not only that, I don't think Shadowrun is a particularly good example at all of the cyberpunk genre.. It's something quite different in its own right.

--- Quote ---I have wanted to pick up some of the old Cyberspace modules though, but have always passed cuz I had no idea which were good and which were bad.  Now I can follow lev_lafayette review and pick up one of the books he liked while avoiding the others. 

--- End quote ---

I appreciate the faith in my reviewing abilities!  ;)

kamikaze:

--- Quote from: lev_lafayette on May 15, 2007, 07:56:11 PM ---I personally think Cyberspace was the best cyberpunk genre game that ever came out.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely. I'm a very old-school cyberpunk fan, and back in the '90s put up my Cyberpunk RPG rant, comparing all of the major and many minor cyberpunk RPGs.

And since it's on ICE's store as PDF, it's not really out of print anymore!

Cyberspace has everything I ever needed from the future: cybernetics, vehicles, netrunning, a brutal combat system, great setting material, and could suck in MERP, Rolemaster, Space Master, and Dark Space material easily.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version