Author Topic: Munchkin Confessional  (Read 5888 times)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Munchkin Confessional
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »
C'mon, ya know you did it too.  There is, according to Steve Jackson, A Little Munchkin In Us All(tm), so, drop your guard and share some of your most munchikin gear, items, characters and moments.  Relive and let us all revel in your magnificant manipulation and out right raping of system rules, spells, skills and every day reasonable expectations. 

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Old Man

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Campaign Nook
Re: Munchkin Confessional
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »

Here's one - allowing two spells per round, whence combined with Haste and the Spell Law optional rule for damage multipliers on Elemental Attack spells (RMC 2 Spell Law 10.1.2), but it ended up with a mage doing haste II then multiple 4x damage shock bolts... Knocks them out with the sheer concussion volume.

Enjoy,
Old Man
** Yes, some of ROCO IV and VII is my fault. **

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 01:18:24 AM »
A GM allowed us to pick the BGs in Comp 1 instead of rolling them, so I made a Magus that picked spells as an Archmage, had 2X Powerpoints, double range in spells, learned Martial arts as a warrior monk, payed 2/5 for the first weapon catagory AND could use Psionics.  ;D

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 08:17:04 PM »
GM who allowed subconcious spells when awake, generally healing ones, to go off taking no action or activity. . .

Combined with

Natural Martial artist BGO mentioned above.

Combined with

The expanded martial arts rules. (Defining claws and bites as "Kata Weapons")

Gives you:

War Troll Healer. . . .natural 16AT, Large Claw, Large Bite, Thrown Rock attack. . . .and healing himself as you whupped arse on him. (Glance over the healer lists, and think about them being a 16' killing machine instead of a 2nd line support character.)

That one wasn't mine. . .but my archer enjoyed firing into melee, and the player didn't mind, even though he eventually got to the point where being shot by me by accident was "Routine" for XP purposes.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:22 AM »
A member of the party, archmage I believe, do massive amounts of spell research creating a plasma sheet spell.  Essentially a plasma wall shot horizontally like a bolt.  Much carnage and much regret by the GM allowing it.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »
I played a Bashkar that experienced fits of frenzied rage whenever he was put under a slight amount of stress and had obtained a +70 to initiative rolls (i do not remember HOW i managed this). It pleased the Gamemaster until i first failed a fear roll...

I took the habit of chopping to lil' bits anything that scared me. The GM, a most stubborn and lovely damsel, quickly realized the danger and threw bigger and bigger things at my character in order to get rid of it. She gave up when i finally cleft a lesser dark reaver in twain before it had a chance to raise its axe. I was level 6, gotta love those natural 66 on criticals. Our party became so exagerately over-equiped from the gear left behind by the ever more powerful foe we kept defeating that we quickly lost interest into the game. At which point i bought RMSS because our GM, despite being beautiful, was simply not up to the task.

Silly thing is that i am not a powerplayer. Had she come to me and explain that my character was too powerfull, i would have accepted some tweaks.

Offline Grafton

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:04:30 PM »
Experiments from RM2:

The halfling mage that I allowed to have the Crystal Mastery spell list. Bolt spells cast through the crystals doing 2 and 3 times damage, other crystals for more PPs, etc. It was ugly.

The Monty Haul group I ran, made specifically for munchkin playing. Stats were 95+ with several 101s for the 4 characters. The worst was the 10th level Noble Warrior with one of the really cool swords from C&T that killed a mature fire drake in 2 rds without a scratch. Don't think we played with them after that.

Weapon Kata. Never allowed it again after seeing a monk use it for about 5 levels. Bad news, martial arts is enough without the extra OB and criticals.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:45:19 PM »
Ours has got to be stat-gen. We allowed 3 dice to be rolled and the player could pick any of the 3 to be the 10s, and then one of the other 2 to be the 1s. We also kept the less-then-20-reroll rule, so if you rolled mediocre, but there was a 1 in the roll, you could reroll. The rolls were of course rolled before assigning to the given Stat, which did some interesting things for the Prime Stats (if it was a low roll but high potential roll, bumping the temp up to 90 would in fact increase the potential to over 95).

We often had 1st lvl characters that had EVERY stat in the 90s (at least the potentials, if not the temps) and even had multiple 100s.

-shnar

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 02:21:30 PM »
My first RM game was solo game with first time RM GM.
I made Dyar evil mage that used Dag as primary weapon. I rolled 89 from spec abilities +20 to str, largest of race etc... Because I started from lvl 1 I argued that it would be in limits of some reason to give the +20  directly to stat (as I wouldn't live afterall...)... Potential (and temp) str was 96 --> 116 str. That gave +105 str stat bonus. That DID make the difference  - evil mage didn't die and later after Companion 3 with additional high stat abilities (extra impact crit, 2x hits, ginsu master = 50% chance to sever location mentioned in crit) he became true monster. We used one stat for each skill-->  lvl 20 mage: 20 ranks in Dag, stat bonus and +20 dag (+30 falchion additional electricity crit) = mage with melee OB over 200 with two extra crits x2 hits in haste with falchion... I did limit myself from taking warriors blade spell list from SUC - there is spell whirlwind that gives lvl/5 attacs for one round - at level 40 ...

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
??? And I thought the +20 STR *Bonus* was too powerful. How'd you convince your GM that the +20 was for the Stat itself, and not the bonus?!?

-shnar

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 02:54:25 PM »
I dont think the bonuses to stat bonuses are too powerful at all actually. Rolemaster has a way of always making sure things add up in the end, well usually.

We did the plus directly to stats as well for a while, until we read a little bit closer and then thought it through. One of our tricks was Power/Dark Temptation couple with innate magician and NO bars on over/under casting and ESF rollsin general
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
I actually started using RMCIV's "purchase BG options" to help even that out, where it cost something like 3 BG options to get that big of a boost to a stat, but even then, it's such a big boost that I rarely allowed it. Mind you, we rolled 3 dice, pick any 2 when rolling for stats, so most of our characters had high stats (with almost ALL potentials in the 90s+)...

-shnar

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »
Best Munchkin moment was the use of Alchemy on Phacalus to get rid of any risk of bad effects. Additional we used a spell from RMCV that allowed you to swap stats, thus we swapped all the Phacalus influenced stats (I think it could only affect physical or mental attributes) and did the whole alchemy routine again. Brilliant stats. SO munchkin!
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Rivstyx

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • rivstyx
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 12:15:12 PM »
I have found no matter how you tweak it all characters can die so it does not matter in the grand scheme of things.  I had a 7th level totally tweaked character with practically 100s in every stat.  His pertinent skills were at a minimum of 10 ranks due to training packages and levels. He also had an ob of something like 175+ and a DB of some ungodly number.  He was killed by a common housecat.

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 12:32:32 PM »
Awesome! Rolemaster RAWKS!

-shnar

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 03:04:31 PM »
I have found no matter how you tweak it all characters can die so it does not matter in the grand scheme of things.  I had a 7th level totally tweaked character with practically 100s in every stat.  His pertinent skills were at a minimum of 10 ranks due to training packages and levels. He also had an ob of something like 175+ and a DB of some ungodly number.  He was killed by a common housecat.

Exactly what I usually say: It doesn't matter how good your stats are, a good critical will get you any time. :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 07:35:13 PM »

This is soooo true! A friend of mine always tweaks and minmax characters (we've gotten used to that... once he tried to make a character which was blessed by two war gods!) and they always die due to incredibly unlucky rolls which often create hilarous moments.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 09:37:58 PM »
No matter who you are try and not fall off your horse.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cernid Win

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 05:57:18 AM »
i have an item which lets me make spells like im 5 levels higher
i use it to charge rune papers for later use so i dont waste to much MP when i need them.
1/3 to1/2 of my EXP comes from spells above my level.
i didnt get the item for this but for less time when i want to cast a spell. but if you have to let 6 peole fly and make them invisible, its nice to have the stuff stored before and not burning all of your powerpoints.
i dont think my  gm will allow an item like this anymore ...

Offline shnar

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »
Combining the two BG options that A) let you get a spell list to lvl 50, and B) allow you to have automatic ESF rolls on a spell list (I think both were introduced in RMCI). That basically meant that you could cast any spell on that spell list to lvl 50 without any prep time, nor spending any PPs.

-shnar