Author Topic: Magic and Evil  (Read 3705 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Magic and Evil
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
 IMO yes evil actions will eventually make you evil. How many? I do not know but I do think it depends on how evil the act is.

Example of Evil?
 [This is an example of what you might see in a Bio-Ethics class]

A country is facing an medical epidemic as well as a famine that has the potential of killing the entire population. But it has been found that there is a better chance of survival from the disease if a person has more food, but survival is not guaranteed if a person has more food. Also do to the famine it is also guaranteed that some people are going to die. It is not known how many do to the fact that the food production estimates vary widely and greatly in their estimates.
So what do you do? [And is it evil?]
1) Ration food to the strongest to fight the disease and combat the famine? [Greatest possibility of survival of some of the population but also the greatest number of deaths. Also you are condemning the greatest number to death. Do you just kill them? Or let them starve to death?]
2) Let nature sort it out? [Greatest chance of entire population dieing of either the disease or from famine. But least evil?]
3) Something is between?

As you can see there is no good answer to the above problem. At least in my opinion. But also you are killing people by your actions or inactions. Some might consider your actions evil depending on what you do and how you do it.

Example #2:
 After the above incident it is found that people with X genes are very likely to be carriers and generators of the above disease that has a good potential of killing everyone. Do you kill every baby with that specific genetic code even though there is only a 74% chance that the child will carry and produce the disease as that is the best for the population? Or do you do something else and risk killing everyone?
  Is it evil to kill the babies? Or is it evil to risk the entire population and not kill the children?

MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Doridian

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 03:14:01 PM »
Hi Mark
I've missed your post for a while, then I decided that it deserved a thorough answer, then... It's nearly one month since your post!
I'm leaving for some vacations, so I afford it when I'll be back.
One shortcut I find playable (in front of similar huge ethic doubts) is that I would suggest players to seek the response - which is the Good choice - from some god (of Good).
But I'll come back on it later.
Thank you for the example.
Ale

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
Hi Mark
I've missed your post for a while, then I decided that it deserved a thorough answer, then... It's nearly one month since your post!
I'm leaving for some vacations, so I afford it when I'll be back.
One shortcut I find playable (in front of similar huge ethic doubts) is that I would suggest players to seek the response - which is the Good choice - from some god (of Good).
But I'll come back on it later.
Thank you for the example.
Ale

No problem the examples were just for thought as one persons good is not the same as another but generally they can come to some agreement while differing on a few  other things.

It is a hard topic to just set down some simple rules.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.